Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I just recently got a deal on a OnePlus 8T, which I originally bought just to replace a slow tablet that wasn't that much bigger.

It's good to see that you're having so much success.

I've been trying to get the 8T to the point that it can replace my 2020 iPhone SE. Downloading apps is easy. Getting everything configured is taking some time and finding substitutes for apps is difficult. Android 11 is better than Android 10, though, and the device is powerful, even if Snapdragon 865 isn't the fastest.

It feels as though they put things where iPhone users would expect them, and they included a mute button.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I just recently got a deal on a OnePlus 8T, which I originally bought just to replace a slow tablet that wasn't that much bigger.

It's good to see that you're having so much success.

I've been trying to get the 8T to the point that it can replace my 2020 iPhone SE. Downloading apps is easy. Getting everything configured is taking some time and finding substitutes for apps is difficult. Android 11 is better than Android 10, though, and the device is powerful, even if Snapdragon 865 isn't the fastest.

It feels as though they put things where iPhone users would expect them, and they included a mute button.

Never used the 8.
The biggest thing with my 9 was taking time to learn all the settings. Took advantage of the user community (forum/reddit).

Reactions: bousozoku

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Just touching base...

So far this has been a trooper and running as good as when I got it. Staying away from Android 12 as it is still basically ColorOS and buggy as well as missing a few functions that I have come to enjoy in OxygenOS.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Just touching base...

So far this has been a trooper and running as good as when I got it. Staying away from Android 12 as it is still basically ColorOS and buggy as well as missing a few functions that I have come to enjoy in OxygenOS.
Wise choice... I tried A12 briefly on a Pixel 6 and could not stand it (or the poor quality of the phone's hardware in general, quirky/old tech and yellow-tinged display, fuzzy/squatty fonts, lame charging and chronic Google update SNAFUs).

Quite happy on OnePlus 8T with stock OxygenOS and Nova launcher for now... might try Pixel 6a or something down the line, maybe.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Wise choice... I tried A12 briefly on a Pixel 6 and could not stand it (or the poor quality of the phone's hardware in general, quirky/old tech and yellow-tinged display, fuzzy/squatty fonts, lame charging and chronic Google update SNAFUs).

Quite happy on OnePlus 8T with stock OxygenOS and Nova launcher for now... might try Pixel 6a or something down the line, maybe.

I tried 1+ version of Android 12 twice now and rolled back to 11 both times.
I am starting to put Nova Prime on my 9 Pro. Taking my time and seeing what I can accomplish.

Reactions: edubfromktown

alphasports

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2019
Good review thanks. I still have an as-new OP 7T that I generally love (Oxygen is great), but I am currently back on iOS more often than not for some reason (I go back and forth quite often!) but will find my way back to OP soon enough, kind of waiting for them to sort out their Hasselblad issues (i.e. put in a decent camera instead of the BS Hasselblad branding that is meaningless other than their color profile). From one phone to the next OP tends to be all over the map so hopefully they will stabilize into Oppo and revert to their roots a bit.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
It has been a while but here is the latest update:

My OnePlus 9 Pro is still my daily driver.
Currently running Android 11 - Nova Prime (7) with a custom layout. (See below)
I have tried 3 different versions of OS12 and all had major issues I could not deal with so I rolled it back each time.
The battery life is still very good and the warp charge using the 50W stand is awesome!

Screenshot_20220603-151908.jpg

I use an iPhone 13 ProMax as my backup and for work - main employer.
Despite the fact, based on the hardware, this thing should run rings around my 9 Pro. It doesn’t. The 9 Pro launches many apps faster and some apps execute faster. See attachments for a couple of video examples.
Say what you will, this device, despite it having serious issues with OS12, has been solid. Hoping OnePlus fixes things for Android 13. Still then I am staying on OS11 and enjoying it.

Note: 5G is still not allowed by AT&T even though the bands support it.

Reactions: edubfromktown

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
OP 8T remains my daily driver (also running Nova Prime). Can't think of a better deal for a mobile with 12 GB RAM and 256 GB storage... currently $349.

I had intended to avoid OOS12 altogether but inadvertently updated while up really late one night and not thinking clearly LOL. Haven't had any issues to speak of with the initial release and the May 5th KB2005_11_C_20 update (that became available for me during the past week). I noticed the display appeared to be slightly darker and overall UI performance seemed to be a bit snappier after applying it.

Only thing that baffled me a bit with the latest update was the inability to reboot the phone in anything other than safe mode. Turned out that I had set animation scale to 0 which is apparently a known bug.

I was using US Mobile's (black) Verizon SIM initially with OOS11 and wasn't able to enable 5G so I switched to their (white) T-Mobile SIM and it works great.

57a422abf3647fe5a84fb8a151e75548.jpg

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I reached to Mint and they said their 5G works. They have a special going on so I’ll give them a shot and see how it does.
I’l drop a post after I get a bit of use from them.
I’ve been using Mint Mobile for the last 4 yrs. I have had no complaints with their service. In my area Mint uses T-Mobile and 5G works in my area.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I reached to Mint and they said their 5G works. They have a special going on so I’ll give them a shot and see how it does.
I’l drop a post after I get a bit of use from them.
They've been good for me in Northern California. I don't really make voice calls but the data and text messages have been reliable.

I still haven't been shown an update to Android 12 on the OnePlus 8T, but I have the June 1st update.

It's surprising how good these phones are. I'm still hating the Google keyboard, though.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
They've been good for me in Northern California. I don't really make voice calls but the data and text messages have been reliable.

I still haven't been shown an update to Android 12 on the OnePlus 8T, but I have the June 1st update.

It's surprising how good these phones are. I'm still hating the Google keyboard, though.

I get occasional reminders to update my 9 Pro to 12 but as I have auto turned off I just dismiss the reminders when they show.

GBoard for me has been okay. I tried a couple of different keyboards but have not found a better one so far.

Reactions: bousozoku

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Been using Mint 5G Unlimited plan on this device for a couple of weeks.
Have to say I am for the most part, impressed. At least as good as my AT&T 5G on my iPone 13PM.
The only issue I have run into is that sometimes the status bar says 5G yet when I look at the System Info it says LTE. Still getting good speed and it is likely something in the OS or Nova launcher that is displaying it incorrectly.

Outside of that, very nice.
Two plus more months to decide on which to keep.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Good to hear you should check out the 10T one day.

I'm close to giving up on Samsung wireless chargers and just plug it in from now on.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Good to hear you should check out the 10T one day.

I'm close to giving up on Samsung wireless chargers and just plug it in from now on.

I took an initial look at the 10T however no wireless charging and removal of the switch placed this model on my “Likely No” list.
I have a couple of the 50W wireless chargers - very handy.

Reactions: BigMcGuire and cuzo

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
You can color me a convert.
Mint Mobile has been great so far and think I will keep it.
Have had no issues to speak of, speed and connectivity has been great including a recent trip to Monterey.

Kudo's to Mint!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Have had no issues to speak of, speed and connectivity has been great including a recent trip to Monterey.

Kudo's to Mint!
First time being aware of Mint Mobile… just looked at the plans. Pricing structures look appealing, but what I’m curious about is what happens after the 3 months end. I did notice that you have to call every 3 months in order to keep the same price? However, if you do not call.. does the price jumps?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
First time being aware of Mint Mobile… just looked at the plans. Pricing structures look appealing, but what I’m curious about is what happens after the 3 months end. I did notice that you have to call every 3 months in order to keep the same price? However, if you do not call.. does the price jumps?

As long as I buy a 12 month block after my 90 day runs out looks like I get it at the same price.
If I go with a Family Plan I have to do the 3 month thing.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
It has been a great run but my days with the 9 Pro are numbered.
Family member needs a new phone (they are on a fixed income) so I am gifting my 9 Pro and decided not get … a 10 Pro.
The NE2215 in Black.

I will be doing a thread like the 9 Pro for the 10 Pro and will link it in when I post it.

In summary, the 9 Pro has been a trooper and aside from the OxyOS12 issues, has been great.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Kudo's to Mint!
I'm pretty happy with Mint. But my use case makes it so that my opinion probably isn't what most people are looking for. I have Verizon Wireless as my personal. I use Mint for side stuff, work, etc. Both are e-sims on my iPhone. So I don't rely on Mint and I get to compare it side by side with Verizon Wireless.

Verizon has alittle bit better reception here in Southern CA. On Mint I've seen 100% reception go to 0% in heavy trafficked areas a few times (malls) but for the most part it is really good. I like having a backup for VZW because I've noticed that in areas where Verizon Wireless is really bad, Mint is really good. My phone is set to use both when the other has better reception so I'm definitely noticing better reception overall.

I tried the 3 months and after 3 months, just yesterday got the year - 10GB plan.

If I didn't have a work discount, 6 people I know willing to go in with me on a VZW family plan - Mint would be my primary mobile service hands down. As it is, with the work discount, and family plan discount, we're within $10 a month of Mint prices per line on Verizon Wireless.

Last edited:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I'm pretty happy with Mint. But my use case makes it so that my opinion probably isn't what most people are looking for. I have Verizon Wireless as my personal. I use Mint for side stuff, work, etc. Both are e-sims on my iPhone. So I don't rely on Mint and I get to compare it side by side with Verizon Wireless.

Verizon has alittle bit better reception here in Southern CA. On Mint I've seen 100% reception go to 0% in heavy trafficked areas a few times (malls) but for the most part it is really good. I like having a backup for VZW because I've noticed that in areas where Verizon Wireless is really bad, Mint is really good. My phone is set to use both when the other has better reception so I'm definitely noticing better reception overall.

I tried the 3 months and after 3 months, just yesterday got the year - 10GB plan.

If I didn't have a work discount, 6 people I know willing to go in with me on a VZW family plan - Mint would be my primary mobile service hands down. As it is, with the work discount, and family plan discount, we're within $10 a month of Mint prices per line.

My work phone is AT&T and will stay there - Mint is not one my work has approved.
My main personal is now Mint. Comparing them has been and continuse to be an eye opener.

One thing that has changed moving to the 1+ 10 Pro, Network now says T-Mobile and Operator says Mint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.