Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
With Xiaomi releasing phones with 5G under $500. The market will be in price war. The days of over $1000 phone will be over soon. It will be going the way of microwave pricing. Used to be the gigh priced items. Now it is dirt cheap. As long as phone can be used to call and text, access internet and take pictures. Who cares about other fancy stuff.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
OnePlus made their name by selling near flagship spec'd phones, but minus some features, and had a near vanilla stock Android UI, and all that for a super budget affordable price. I bought the OnePlus One for $299, and LOVED that phone, at that time flagships like the latest iPhone 6 Plus and Samsung Galaxy were selling for $749.

I get it, that super cheap price wasn't going to last forever with OnePlus, and I expected some creep up in pricing each model, but F me, not $1,000+ now. Sorry but screw that price for a OnePlus phone, or heck any phone for that matter. I think a fair price for the OnePlus 8 Pro should be like in the $699 / $749 range.

Some of their best models and pricing at launch;

OnePlus One was $299/$349 @ launch
OnePlus 3T was $439 @ launch
OnePlus 5T was $499 @ launch
OnePlus 6T was $549 @ launch
OnePlus 7 Pro was $669 @ launch
OnePlus 8 Pro is currently $900+

So it seems each year OnePlus increased the price anywhere from $50 to $100 annually. Lets do the middle which would be $75 per year, so 6 years later that's approx. $450, add that to the $300 price of the original OnePlus One, and that would put the OnePlus 8 Pro @ approx. $750, which to me is fair, not bad. But $1,000 NO WAY.

My question, the 7 Pro was $670 @ launch, now the 8 Pro is $900 @ launch, that's a huge jump up in price between the 7P and 8P, by far their biggest leap in pricing between model years. Because OnePlus have been on an annual trend of $50 to $100 price increases each year, then all of a sudden a massive $225+ increase from last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: SocialKonstruct

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If that rumor and specs are right, Google is going to have to have some tricks up their sleeve for the Pixel 5. If the OP Z is less than half the price with better specs it would be hard to justify spending up on the Pixel. But we'll have to wait and see.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
With Xiaomi releasing phones with 5G under $500. The market will be in price war. The days of over $1000 phone will be over soon. It will be going the way of microwave pricing. Used to be the gigh priced items. Now it is dirt cheap. As long as phone can be used to call and text, access internet and take pictures. Who cares about other fancy stuff.
The so called price war has already been going on for the past few years.

Let's observe Samsung. The Xiaomi/Oppo forced Samsung to revamp their lineup with a new set of Galaxy M and A models. Majority of people are not buying $1000 phones anyway (Samsung sales are made of low/mid end Galaxy A01 and A5x phones, not the S20s). However, the market is large enough that there's room for $1000 phones. In my country, alongside a full lineup of Galaxy A and Ms, Samsung still released the ultra premium Galaxy Fold models.

Despite the proliferation of $80 microwaves, there are still $500 ones. :) As there are still market segments who care about the "fancy" stuff.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Apparently the Oneplus Nord as its being called by the tech sites is the new budget OnePlus device. Its got a 90Hz AMOLED (no res mentioned), Snapdragon 765G, two selfie cams, and starts at $299.

If this phone delivers its gonna be a struggle for the Pixel 5 if it drops with similar specs and a ~$700 price tag. I get the Pixel software experience and cameras are better, but are they ~$400 better? I dont think so.

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
I just picked up the OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren and wow I am so happy. It works super well with my MacBook Pro and sadly enough doesn't play well with my Alienware laptop *angry...

SocialKonstruct

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Midvale, UT
Indeed you must be happy, so much so you’ve told us in 3 separate threads .

I now suspect that it's a Windows 10 issue with USB ports and not the device itself. The OnePlus is incredible and honestly its design principle aligns itself with Apple's...

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Sounds interesting for sure. I think we need a nexus line of phones again and at affordable prices and open to development.

Pixels are becoming overpriced wanna be Apple devices that are becoming more and more locked down. But with how the G operates being ad and data collection driven and more focused on security since everyone is starting to ditch over complicated bulky computers since their phones will do almost everything most people's computers will, who can blame them?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm going to try out my first OnePlus since the OnePlus 5 with the OnePlus Nord. I've already received my preorder stickers and cardboard invitation and I'll be placing an order on the 21st. I hope I won't be too disappointed with the camera this time.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Seems like a really good option for the Pixel 3a/Iphone SE crowd. This is what OP does best. Shame it wasnt released in the States.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
OnePlus always seems to have great phones, even though the prices are going higher. I was surprised to see a OnePlus 8 on the Sprint store when I was considering alternatives.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Seems like a really good option for the Pixel 3a/Iphone SE crowd. This is what OP does best. Shame it wasnt released in the States.

I recall reading that they might release it in the States as well depending on how it’s received in India and Europe. I did my part to boost the numbers :)

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Opinions now that it's launched?

When you look at the pricing, similar (or better) spec'd models can still be had for cheaper, but without OxygenOS. They've also gone crazy with the marketing spend which has no doubt been factored into the selling price.

I think it's a well-rounded phone, although would have liked to see an expandable storage slot. Still, it's good to see OnePlus beginning to restore their reputation following their price hikes over the last few years.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
13DF77D2-8852-47A2-8B76-E470190FBA5E.jpeg
I know what I’ll be doing tonight :)

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Any thoughts now you've had the device a bit? :)

I’ve liked it enough to move my main SIM over to the Nord for now :) It’s snappy and I do like the fact that the display is flat, i.e. no accidental touches like I had with my S10+. The camera is decent, but I jump to Gcam from time to time when the default camera mutes colors a bit too much. I haven’t noticed any actual showstoppers, but I had a weird glitch with WiFi calling a couple of days ago, I’ll have to see how it works when I’m back home. There’s also that my Galaxy Buds have a really weak connection and the playback almost completely stops if I put the phone in my pocket while taking a walk outside. The OnePlus Buds are not doing this, but I’ll have to test it out with AirPods as well.

However, I got a new software update installed just an hour ago, so I can’t say for sure whether those issues still exist. Only testing will tell.

Ryguy18

macrumors member
May 15, 2020
Jersey City
How is the storage for the Nord?

I had the 7T for awhile and was surprised how the stock software took up a ginormous 26GB of the 128GB phone.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
How is the storage for the Nord?

I had the 7T for awhile and was surprised how the stock software took up a ginormous 26GB of the 128GB phone.

I didn't check how much of the storage was used after the initial setup, but this is how it looks right now:

Screenshot_20200806-154850.jpg

Granted, I've got the 256GB version so I still have plenty of room left.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.