Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Series 4 on 5.2.1 has troubles keeping activity ring complication and the stock Apple temperature complication updates on my watch face. Have tried rebooting the watch, and have even wiped the watch and reinstalled everything and it continues to have the same issue.

Activity rings will update if I change to a different watch face and then change back. Temperature won’t update even when doing that and will often not even update when going into the app through the complication. Have to reboot the watch (holding the two buttons until the Appel logo appears) sometimes to get it to updatE.

EXTREMELY frustrating. Have had this same issue with a Series 2 and this series 4 regardless of which watchOS it’s running.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts as to what to try next?

igrover

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
I have the same problem with the stock weather complication not updating promptly or sometimes not at all.

My solution was to create another watch face with the stock weather complication on it and swipe from the 1st screen to the 2nd screen and then back again and that prompts the complication on the 1st screen to update.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
I have the same problem with the stock weather complication not updating promptly or sometimes not at all.

My solution was to create another watch face with the stock weather complication on it and swipe from the 1st screen to the 2nd screen and then back again and that prompts the complication on the 1st screen to update.
Yeah the same thing works for me, but we should not have to do that!

Definitely first-world problems but isn’t Apple stuff supposed to “just work”?

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
The complications are not updated in realtime. This is by design. Its only when you click on the app that updates are in realtime. I think the refresh time is seconds or so in complications

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
The complications are not updated in realtime. This is by design. Its only when you click on the app that updates are in realtime. I think the refresh time is seconds or so in complications
Thanks for the info but that makes no sense. They DO update sometimes with no action on my part. Plus why would Apple design a complication and not update it until you tap it? Pretty bad design.

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks for the info but that makes no sense. They DO update sometimes with no action on my part. Plus why would Apple design a complication and not update it until you tap it? Pretty bad design.

It's due to the restrictions the Apple Watch places on third-party applications.

In order to maximize battery life, each complication is given a ''time budget'' for calculations and updates by WatchOS. Once an app's time budget is exhausted, the app doesn't get notified, the complication will just not update for increasing periods of time.

This is why continuously updating complications like pedometers and heart rate displays tend to sometimes seem 15 minutes or a half hour behind. (The actual built-in heart rate complication is exempt from the rules.)

There is also a hard limit of 50 complication updates a day for updates that are driven from an iPhone app.

You can read more about this here: https://developer.apple.com/library...itProgrammingGuide/ManagingComplications.html

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
It's due to the restrictions the Apple Watch places on third-party applications.

In order to maximize battery life, each complication is given a ''time budget'' for calculations and updates by WatchOS. Once an app's time budget is exhausted, the app doesn't get notified, the complication will just not update for increasing periods of time.

This is why continuously updating complications like pedometers and heart rate displays tend to sometimes seem 15 minutes or a half hour behind. (The actual built-in heart rate complication is exempt from the rules.)

There is also a hard limit of 50 complication updates a day for updates that are driven from an iPhone app.

You can read more about this here: https://developer.apple.com/library...itProgrammingGuide/ManagingComplications.html
They restrict their own complications? I’m talking about stock apple complications for weather and activity.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Nope no fix. It’s done it on a series 0, series 2, series 4 and series 5 connected to various iPhones up to the current iPhone 11 Pro. I just don’t understand why I have the issue and it doesn’t seem like that many others do.

wlucas30

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2020
I’ve experienced the same thing, I know somebody else with the exact same S4 as me without this problem. I’ve tried resetting the watch, unpairing and repairing it, without luck, and that makes me think the problem is with my phone. I’m going to try a DFE reset later on and see if anything changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.