Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjevans

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
How strenuous is the Apple online education store about checking student credentials?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
tjevans said:
How strenuous is the Apple online education store about checking student credentials?

They have never called me to verify so far, but they could easily call up a school to check, so I don't know. I know in the store they sometimes verify, so it's probably a bad idea to try and defraud them.

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
my parents got a mac on edu discount as one is a teacher,
they had to send send some paperwork proving their status

However, for students it's obviously different, other than show some kind of student card or alike, theres not much they could ask for

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
At the store they will check for id or some form of paper saying you are from a school, but on the online store, they dont check.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
tjevans said:
My wife and I have both made several purchases the last few years and we've never been asked to validate our educational standing. (We both work in education.)

Word on the street is that Apple periodically does a random "audit" via phone call to verfiy your status. *shrug*

I take it you're not a student?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I've used the the education discount four times over the past two years. I've never been asked to validate my status either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.