Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmaustin02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
I recently purchased the newly released 15" 2017 MacBook Pro - with Radeon Pro 560 4gb graphics card. I spent over $3.3k on this setup. Minutes after receiving the MBP, opening and going through the setup process I went to check out "About this Mac" and assumed I would see all the correct hardware and paid for... I was shocked when under graphics it showed Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB - Instead of top of line 4GB Radeon that was on my order form(reference screenshot below). This card is not currently offered on any of the 2017 updates, not even the 13" they have Intel 640. How is a mistake like this possible? I spent and incredible amount of money on this laptop and I wonder how many others are out there running cheaper hardware then they paid for. Currently on hold with Apple for over an hour why they scramble to figure this out.

*Update*
Report from Apple support. They are claiming the correct hardware is showing by their internal testing of some sort, and for what ever reason the incorrect information is being displayed on about this Mac. "This a one in a million", direct quote from apple support error that has happened. They are sending me a shipping label and plan to replace the laptop.

MacRumors_Version.jpg

Last edited:

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Mine says "Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB" as well. I also noticed this quickly after receiving the laptop.

All that means is that the computer is currently running on the built-in graphics rather than utilizing the GPU (to save battery life). Were you to say, begin transcoding a 4k video, it would show both the Radeon card as well as the internal graphics as the dGPU would need to kick in. Whatever response Apple support gave you was total BS.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
I recently purchased the newly released 15" 2017 MacBook Pro - with Radeon Pro 560 4gb graphics card. I spent over $3.3k on this setup. Minutes after receiving the MBP, opening and going through the setup process I went to check out "About this Mac" and assumed I would see all the correct hardware and paid for... I was shocked when under graphics it showed Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB - Instead of top of line 4GB Radeon that was on my order form(reference screenshot below). This card is not currently offered on any of the 2017 updates, not even the 13" they have Intel 640. How is a mistake like this possible? I spent and incredible amount of money on this laptop and I wonder how many others are out there running cheaper hardware then they paid for. Currently on hold with Apple for over an hour why they scramble to figure this out.

*Update*
Report from Apple support. They are claiming the correct hardware is showing by their internal testing of some sort, and for what ever reason the incorrect information is being displayed on about this Mac. "This a one in a million", direct quote from apple support error that has happened. They are sending me a shipping label and plan to replace the laptop.

View attachment 709018

Just thought it'd be worth checking... but the Radeon card is only displayed in "About this Mac" when it's actually engaged. Try running something like Heaven Benchmark (https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven) or something else that uses the discrete GPU (sometimes even hooking up an external monitor will do it), and then reopening the "About this Mac" box. It may show both graphics cards (Intel + Radeon) then.

Jmaustin02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Mine says "Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB" as well. I also noticed this quickly after receiving the laptop.

All that means is that the computer is currently running on the built-in graphics rather than utilizing the GPU (to save battery life). Were you to say, begin transcoding a 4k video, it would show both the Radeon card as well as the internal graphics as the dGPU would need to kick in. Whatever response Apple support gave you was total BS.

Trey this is very helpful information. They are telling me to ship it back and go ahead with them building a replacement. I went and contacted a different support agent he told a me a different way to access the listed hardware through the system report(I knew of this but was brain dead from my initial reaction to wrong card). It does indeed show both cards installed. Thanks for being smarter then a Senior advisor at apple support.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Trey this is very helpful information. They are telling me to ship it back and go ahead with them building a replacement. I went and contacted a different support agent he told a me a different way to access the listed hardware through the system report(I knew of this but was brain dead from my initial reaction to wrong card). It does indeed show both cards installed. Thanks for being smarter then a Senior advisor at apple support.

Ha no problem. The industry I'm in also heavily utilities contact centers, and if there's one thing I've learned in my short time, it's that the quality of support you'll receive as a customer is directly dependent on the quality of the person on the other end of that line. Even when equipped with all the tools in the world, you're entirely dependent on that person's decision making in order to solve your issue.

Apple certainly has better people than most, and I commend them for that and genuinely favor their devices in part because of their post purchase support. With that being said, I've dealt with some Geniuses that certainly didn't live up to the moniker lol

Reactions: Jmaustin02

Jmaustin02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
And I received $100 credited back to me for having the day completely wasted. Thanks again to everyone who responded quickly to this thread. I was almost on my way to the Fedex, only to wait 2 weeks again for same exact laptop. Somehow made $100 in the process. That last guy (agent number 4) was A+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.