Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I have over the last 2 to 3 months been revising my online trivia game that I have written in PHP, JQuery, Ajax and JSON. I have been doing this mostly out of fun, but partially out of strengthening my own portfolio. The game itself is public domain and is still a work in progress. Yes, I know there's a boatload of online trivia games out there, but this has been fun strengthening my development skills and learning new techniques. I'm not asking for a review or to critique it and I'm asking no money for it nor am I selling anything. I just wanted to give in more exposure to the game and maybe a few minutes of fun.:)

Here's the link: https://www.pepster.com/trivia/trivia.php

Like I said I'm still working on it, so there might still be a few bugs to it and from time to time I'll be updating it.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have over the last 2 to 3 months been revising my online trivia game that I have written in PHP, JQuery, Ajax and JSON. I have been doing this mostly out of fun, but partially out of strengthening my own portfolio. The game itself is public domain and is still a work in progress. Yes, I know there's a boatload of online trivia games out there, but this has been fun strengthening my development skills and learning new techniques. I'm not asking for a review or to critique it and I'm asking no money for it nor am I selling anything. I just wanted to give in more exposure to the game and maybe a few minutes of fun.:)

Here's the link: https://www.pepster.com/trivia/trivia.php

Like I said I'm still working on it, so there might still be a few bugs to it and from time to time I'll be updating it.
Very nice... I'd only recommend cleaning up your URLs ( make them pretty URLs ). The design is quite polished.

Heck, drop the PHP, store the information in a 'text' file, and throw it in an IOS app. Stick a little add banner at the bottom and give it away for free. It will not make you rich, but it could pay for beers for the rest of your life.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
Thank for the compliments.
Very nice... I'd only recommend cleaning up your URLs ( make them pretty URLs ). The design is quite polished.

Heck, drop the PHP, store the information in a 'text' file, and throw it in an IOS app. Stick a little add banner at the bottom and give it away for free. It will not make you rich, but it could pay for beers for the rest of your life.

I plan even cleaning the urls up eventually - though right now the url's are just for test purposes. I don't think I'll be dropping the PHP for that is what I mostly develop in right now and I also have plans in the future where users (and administrators) will be able to add/edit/delete questions and I want to eventually setup a CRON job for daily maintenance of the questions. They right now there is a new set of daily questions, but I have to manually reset it when it gets to the end. Though I might eventually start learning to write IOS applications using SWIFT? I'm kind of surprised I gotten this far considering that this for I have other matters in life that comes first like most people have. Though having a text file instead of a PHP MYSQL is an interesting idea......hmmmm? I'm going to think about that a little bit. It would make it more portable and might make a few cents off it. LOL

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I specifically meant dropping the local PHP / AJAX calls to make it usable in iOS without using bandwidth. Updates could be sent via JSON / PHP call to/from your server ( think in-app purchases ). Just try to keep the app from constantly grabbing / needing data over the network for each question.

Just a thought and unsolicited recommendation.

I try to always think of scaling when developing, that's why I use a lot of IndexedDB / localStorage in my development. iOS has core data and Swift3 makes it really easy.

Reactions: Strider64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.