Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnmagnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2022
Hi,

I was starting to get problems with my MacBook Air regarding available space. This problem started occurring a few months ago. I needed a ton of applications for school and work and I am very limited with the 128GB. I started getting the problem of limited space, and had to change what applications where on my computer as needed. A month ago it started getting really weird though. Suddenly the storage was completely filled, after just using it and not downloading anything. I then bought cleanmymac (I think that's what it called) to clean my computer and deleted an app I hardly used. It would then only take a few days and then that storage would be used up by something else. I kept deleting apps, restarting MacBook and constantly running cleanmymac to free up space. Very quickly something would use up this space and I would have to go through the process again trying to free up more. I ended up only have a fraction of the applications I used to be able to have, as there was something that kept taking up more and more space. This weekend I decided lets try fix this problem;

I went through my computer this weekend and deleted files I do not need anymore and made backup of files of the ones I do. Went through every file I had and organised and cleansed it. I removed all the files after backup (DID NOT USE TIMEMACHINE for backup), and factory reset my computer. I expected this to reset the MacBook Air and get storage back to at least 80% of its prime. After factory reset I then came up I only had 40GB space, and I still had to reinstall macOS (Maybe this step was unnecessary?). After resintallment of macOS I was only left with 22GB of space left on MacBook. I quickly find out there were applications still saved on the disk (Did I factory reset wrong, as they were saved and maybe the THING that keeps eating up the storage aswell?). I really need Xcode so I decided to remove all applications and restart my computer to try download it. Not enough disk space. I used to have Xcode on my MacBook and was the last application I had to delete to free up space. More than 15GB of free space was freed up. The next day when starting my computer I suddenly only had 9GB free space. However it was enough to get me through the school & work week without problems occurring. Or atleast I thought. By Friday I again had to be careful how many apps I used, and constantly had to delete cache data to operate computer normally. I had already plans to factory reset my computer when I deleted Xcode, and was no doubt it had to be done by the end of the week. Now I have a completely empty MacBook (No applications or files of my own) and only 32GB free space out of 128GB.

Any help in what I may have done wrong factory reseting it, or what constantly keeps eating up any free space I have would greatly be appreciated.

In the image you can see the storage details. Showing the the system does not even know where the 70GB missing are. Do I just have a damaged hard disk and need to replace it?

P.S. I have read other people online and I know it's not TIME MACHINE backups, as I have ran the command: sudo tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 12.00.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-13 at 12.00.42.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 233

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
Clean my Mac is not for saving disk space, really. Use something like disk daisy to actually see where all the space is going.
How much ram do you have? The ram you have, the larger the sleep file will be (I.e. 16 gb ram needs 16 gb on disk to save your state.
It sounds like maybe your disk got partitioned or something? Show us the Disk Utility screen.

mnmagnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2022
Hi, thanks for the help so far. Found this with your help. Noticing one has almost 70GB of storage, which is the storage system storage is not able to detect and show. Can I just wipe this disk without problems?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.23.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.23.png
    492.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.17.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.17.png
    607.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.12.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 08.56.12.png
    775.7 KB · Views: 191

mnmagnum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2022
Hi, I discovered Outlook was the cause of the problem. Thanks for the help though. I had no knowledge it downloaded all emails onto my computer. Having connected several emails, including support business emails, it would eat up any storage it had access to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.