Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
Hi all.

Does anyone know how to get the onscreen keyboard back when you have a mouse connected to iPad OS 13.4?

Many thanks.

M.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
What kind of mouse is it? Perhaps the mouse itself is also showing up as an attached keyboard (some have extra buttons that appear as keyboard keys).

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
No mouse or keyboard connected on iPad mini 4 13.4 but had the keyboard disappear in YouTube app. Bluetooth is off. Had to quit app and restart in order to get it back. It then happened in safari. Restarted the iPad.
See if you can recreate this. Tap the url bar in safari, Dismiss the keyboard, then tap the url bar again. Anyone else?

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Happened to me, iPad mini 5. I installed 13.4 to test the mouse support and connected only a bluetooth mouse. While using the mouse the keyboard wasn’t showing up. in text input mode only the predictive suggestions bar appeared. The same behavior as when I have a Bluetooth keyboard connected, except there was none.
I suspect this is by design, as mouse support is an ergonomic aid to avoid going back and forth between a resting hand position and raising your hands to touch the screen. So using only an external mouse but not also an external keyboard kind of defeats the purpose.
[automerge]1585868910[/automerge]
Dismiss the keyboard, then tap the url bar again.
when i tap the bar again the keyboard reappears.

Reactions: tex210

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
Sorry, my bad, tap url, dismiss keyboard, tap outside the drop down favorites box, tap on url.

I still don’t know what I did in YouTube tho.

Fat.tofu

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2020
On bottom-right screen you see down arrow, hold it and it will bring up the onsceeen keyboard again.

ed.

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Sorry, my bad, tap url, dismiss keyboard, tap outside the drop down favorites box, tap on url.
the keyboard doesn’t show up on the first tap on url, but if it tap again on the address or on the x button it shows up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.