Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I stumbled upon an open air case that is, well, intriguing and tempting I know there's a a small number of open air cases available, but the Motif Monument is eye catching. Googling for images, shows that if you go this route, a short GPU card (sort of like what I have) is imo the most appealing. A large 3090 for instance will protrude well beyond the shape of the case and look odd.

I'm not sure about dust, but I suspect a quick blast from a bulb blower may advisable. As for sound, I'll have to research this more - On one hand, being open air, it should run cooler but on the other if the fans do ramp up, there's no sound deadening compartment to block or mitigate the sound.

I'd probably want to go with a certain color combination and using custom cables., such back and grey with a small amount of RGB
1629978958609.png

1629979179879.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I mean, yeah, but equally, no.
It has some level of allure for me, but I do wonder about dust. I get that its not for everyone. Searching for this and other open air cases show a striking lack of reviews and YTs. So its definitely a niche setup

One other concern is longevity - not how long will the components last but rather will I get tired of the setup? For instance, pick out a striking color for a car/truck - will you continue to feel that way 6 months, 1 year down the road? I've run into that in past purchases. I can see this not having that sort of longevity.

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
It has some level of allure for me

The more I look at it I think it would be ideal in a specific location done to match the surroundings. A bit of a talking piece. I am thinking as I type this that it would be more an 'artistic thing'.

Definately a place for it albeit limited. Certainly got cooling and noise advantages. Dust is going to be an issue no matter what but lets face it, you can clean it as much and often as your want, nothing stopping you :)

Reactions: maflynn

Queen6

macrumors G4
Dust magnet, nor do I think will run cooler. Looks cool in an industrial manner, equally not entirely practical IMO. My bigger concern is that you cant effectively create air flow over the boards which may impact the longevity of some components.

Q-6

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Dust magnet
Dust is a concern but I don't think its as bad as you may think. Just a quick burst of compressed air or using a bulb blower once in a while will keep it clean. If you're current computer is not caked in dust, this shouldn't either.

nor do I think will run coole
From the reviews that i've seen, it does. Open air cases have a distinct advantage where air flow is not a problem, fans run unimpeded. I forget where I saw the video and searching failed to come up with the video that I saw the temps in, but it seems the temps being reported on competed builds over on pcpartpicker show its not a problem

Its a striking build, basically a show piece - is that something I want? not sure

Reactions: LeeW

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Funny enough, one of the other cases I'm consider for my computer rebuild is a Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini - quite the polar opposite on airflow :O
1630067196937.png

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
Dust is a concern but I don't think its as bad as you may think. Just a quick burst of compressed air or using a bulb blower once in a while will keep it clean. If you're current computer is not caked in dust, this shouldn't either.

From the reviews that i've seen, it does. Open air cases have a distinct advantage where air flow is not a problem, fans run unimpeded. I forget where I saw the video and searching failed to come up with the video that I saw the temps in, but it seems the temps being reported on competed builds over on pcpartpicker show its not a problem

Its a striking build, basically a show piece - is that something I want? not sure
Just doesn't appeal I prefer less maintenance versus a show piece and seems possible for both..

Q-6

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I prefer less maintenance versus a show piece and seems possible for both..

I saw videos of that case, and it doesn't cater to my taste. The front grill is really an eye sore for me, but I get what you're saying. I see nothing wrong with show pieces and the bottom line is, use what makes you the happiest. My tasts are different then others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I saw videos of that case, and it doesn't cater to my taste. The front grill is really an eye sore for me, but I get what you're saying. I see nothing wrong with show pieces and the bottom line is, use what makes you the happiest. My tasts are different then others ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In all transparency I don't have a need for a desktop outside of a HTPC which TBH a M1 Mac Mini would more than surface wide margin, with a pile of notebooks that more than suffice for that purpose.

If I needed a high performance desktop for work and or gaming, again low maintenance, I wouldn't have the computer on the desk far preferring it to be out of direct sight and out of mind :) As you rightly say it's very much down to personal taste. I tend to re-role gaming notebook's as portable workstation's as no exotics required. Gaming I still tend to be minimalistic with RGB although I like all colour matched. My daughter the opposite with all lit up on full Disco mode LOL.

I've built desktop's in the past, my approach is build for the need with some level of redundancy. I can see the appeal of an open case, especially if into tech. That said I prefer the HW to be in the background with solid/functional design language.

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.