Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VAAdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Not sure what happened, but I tried multiple USB drives, but no dice. Each time, I receive the following error when trying to create the installer:

Corrupted Installer!

Failed to validate installer, cannot continue.
This can generally happen due to a faulty USB drive, as flashing is an intensive process that can trigger hardware faults not normally seen.

STDERR: hdiutil: verify: unable to recognize "/Volumes/Install macOS Monterey/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg" as a disk image. (image not recognized)
hdiutil: verify failed - image not recognized

Anyone know how I can get around this or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Re-download the installer?

If your downloaded image file is corrupted, then no matter how many time you try, it just won't work.

VAAdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
Re-download the installer?

If your downloaded image file is corrupted, then no matter how many time you try, it just won't work.

Tried three times. I even tried an older version, no dice.

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR
A couple of things, make sure your USB drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended. Delete any existing copies in your applications folder for the OS Install. Use OCLP to download a copy of the installer, it will prompt you to extract it and then you can use it to build out the installer on the USB drive. Good luck!

VAAdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023

Yes, all identical MD5 regs.

I did format to OS Extended, journalled, but I didn't try to install it to the drive, the OCLP. I will try installing and creating directly on to the drive, just not sure if that would work since it's going to erase and install on the drive as well.

pdxplm

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Portland, OR

Yes, all identical MD5 regs.

I did format to OS Extended, journalled, but I didn't try to install it to the drive, the OCLP. I will try installing and creating directly on to the drive, just not sure if that would work since it's going to erase and install on the drive as well.
I think you misunderstood, You need to format a USB drive (one that you plug in) and then install to that drive as the installer drive to then use to install to your internal drive on the Mac. Hope that clarifies...again, good luck!

Reactions: 840quadra

VAAdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
I think you misunderstood, You need to format a USB drive (one that you plug in) and then install to that drive as the installer drive to then use to install to your internal drive on the Mac. Hope that clarifies...again, good luck!

I purchased a brand new Sandisk 500GB USB drive and reformatted. Received the following error

Error
Failed to create macOS installer
Output: Started erase on disk5
Unmounting disk

Error: 2023-11-27 21:08:57.380 OpenCore-Patcher[817:10889] Starting...
Error: -69888: Couldn't unmount disk
2023-11-27 21:10:05.743 OpenCore-Patcher[817:10889] Done

My Mac is a Mid-2012 formated in APFS. Would this be causing the issue?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I purchased a brand new Sandisk 500GB USB drive and reformatted. Received the following error

Error
Failed to create macOS installer
Output: Started erase on disk5
Unmounting disk

Error: 2023-11-27 21:08:57.380 OpenCore-Patcher[817:10889] Starting...
Error: -69888: Couldn't unmount disk
2023-11-27 21:10:05.743 OpenCore-Patcher[817:10889] Done

My Mac is a Mid-2012 formated in APFS. Would this be causing the issue?
Make sure nothing else is accessing the drive like terminal and disk utility at the same time.

Leizin1

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2024
Not sure what happened, but I tried multiple USB drives, but no dice. Each time, I receive the following error when trying to create the installer:

Corrupted Installer!

Failed to validate installer, cannot continue.
This can generally happen due to a faulty USB drive, as flashing is an intensive process that can trigger hardware faults not normally seen.

STDERR: hdiutil: verify: unable to recognize "/Volumes/Install macOS Monterey/Install macOS Monterey.app/Contents/SharedSupport/SharedSupport.dmg" as a disk image. (image not recognized)
hdiutil: verify failed - image not recognized

Anyone know how I can get around this or what I am doing wrong?

Thank you.
bro did you solve it?, I've the same issue trying to install Mojave, I downloaded the installer from the App Store and External website and still giving me the same error, previously I installed Big Sur in this drive and there was no problem, don't know what to do.

VAAdam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2023
bro did you solve it?, I've the same issue trying to install Mojave, I downloaded the installer from the App Store and External website and still giving me the same error, previously I installed Big Sur in this drive and there was no problem, don't know what to do.

Yes. I created a fresh the installer on another computer, and upgraded to Monterey. After that was successful, I then proceeded to upgrade to Sonoma via Apple's software upgrade. No problems after that.

Reactions: Leizin1

Leizin1

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2024
Yes. I created a fresh the installer on another computer, and upgraded to Monterey. After that was successful, I then proceeded to upgrade to Sonoma via Apple's software upgrade. No problems after that.
me finally solved it with the command sudo /Applications/[any_name_of_instalation_monterey].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

This create the bootable usb with the terminal, so simple, the problem was Open Core, thanks for the reply!

Stib07

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2024
Hi! How did you fix it? I am downloading macOS sonoma from catalina os on my macbook pro 2012 but always “corrupted installer”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.