Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drlukas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2023
Hi guys and thanks for any help from your side. I've installed Os Monterey on my old 2011 Mac. Everything was super easy and fine till I tried to use Photo app and Maps. The photo shows all the shots in the library but is unable to edit them. I mean as I select one it appears big in the center screen and immediately disappear. No way. Map is no able to fix a position nor to download any maps. I've installed over my previous installation, could this be the main problem? Thanks for any help

Tickled

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
I think this is a 'feature' of the earlier, non-metal graphics, neither my 2010 and 2011 iMac 27s (both running Monterey) have functional Apple Maps or Photos apps. Since I can access these on a laptop and iPhone, it's no hardship to go without on these machines - the benefits of running Monterey beautifully fast and reliably more than outweigh the odd missing feature.

Last edited:

Nicol Award

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
I'm having the exact same problem as the original post on an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010, ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB). I upgraded from Big Sur to Monterey with OpenCore 1.2.1. When I get some time, I will try a clean install of Monterey.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
No Metal GPU = no Maps etc. Unless you're prepared to upgrade the GPU, not a pleasant or simple task, there's no way around this. Check out then threads at the top of the Early Intel Macs forum, there's an entire encyclopaedia on just this topic. Frankly, I've decided not to go down this route. Everything else works well, and there are alternatives if you don't need to use Photoshop or Maps or whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.