Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtjones20108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Hi guys!
I recently converted over to Macs. Last weekend I bought a used Mac Book Pro running 10.9.5. The entire purpose was for Garageband, for recording and guitar stuff. However, I cant download Garageband because the OS it out of date.

So I have been trying to get open core legacy and try and get around the issue that way. But every time I download any of the assets in open core, it says I needs a newer os..... I am kinda stuck and could really use some help. Thanks so much in advance, and sorry if this is super basic and a dumb question.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Can you please provide us with the Model Identifier? Like ”MacBookProX,X”.

MBP's eligible for OCLP support can be found here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html#macbook-pro

If eligible for at least Big Sur, you must update your MBP to its latest macOS first. See here:

Follow the guide here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/

adamtjones20108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Can you please provide us with the Model Identifier? Like ”MacBookProX,X”.

MBP's eligible for OCLP support can be found here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html#macbook-pro

If eligible for at least Big Sur, you must update your MBP to its latest macOS first. See here:

Follow the guide here: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/
I think its a MacBook Pro 9? I dont know exactly how to find Model,

adamtjones20108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B0E

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

Serial Number (system): C1MN730ADV30

Hardware UUID: 4C040F70-8980-5A00-B920-4D083CC301CB

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Reactions: AlixSPQR

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yes…I wouldn't bother with it unless someone has put an SSD in there or until you do it yourself. SATA SSDs are pretty cheap.

If you do end up putting one in you should go ahead and swap the RAM for two 8GB sticks (16GB total)…while you have the machine open. That can be found for less than $40.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

adamtjones20108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
Alright. I am just gona buy a newer Macbook. But is there a way I could use open core legacy to upgrade this one before I give it away to a friend. I kind of want to do it just out of frustration. lol

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Alright. I am just gona buy a newer Macbook. But is there a way I could use open core legacy to upgrade this one before I give it away to a friend. I kind of want to do it just out of frustration. lol
I think you could…but you haven't seen the end of frustration if you try. Installing macOS on a mechanical hard drive formatted APFS will be quite the slow experience.

adamtjones20108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2023
I understand. Well I will upgrade it. Do you guys have a how to video and stuff? I am new to Macs and stuff, trying to understand it all.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I understand. Well I will upgrade it. Do you guys have a how to video and stuff? I am new to Macs and stuff, trying to understand it all.
It seems to me the OCLP website has complete and up-to-date instructions pertaining to the process. An online video may leave out steps or just be wrong. No harm in watching them but just be aware that the process has evolved and is slightly different for some Mac models.

If there's something you don't understand feel free to ask here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.