Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
My favored way of reading posts is to tap/hold on them and open each in a background tab. That way I can scroll through the list of posts, find ones that I want to read, and get them all queued up, rather than reading one, going back to the list of threads, reading another, and so on.

But selecting “Open in Background” in iOS Safari does not work… rather than opening the thread, it simply opens another instance of the forum (list of threads).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm not seeing that behavior in either iOS 17.0 or 17.1 beta. Links to forum threads are properly opening in background tabs for me.

Can you share more details to help troubleshoot? iOS version? What page you're on when seeing this...forum index, new posts search? Are you tapping on thread titles, latest post, something else?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Not seeing it on my iPad ("Open in Background" is iPadOS) or my iPhone. Both on 17.0.1.

However, have seen this. Generally it's Safari acting up in general. Swipe away (aka quit) of Safari clears things up. Worst case, re-boot the device.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Thank you for the response. I'm seeing the behavior in what I assume you are referring to as the forum index page (the normal list of all posts within a particular forum), and I'm tapping on the thread title.

A few other bits of information:

1) I'm on 17.0.2

2) It does not seem to happen on my iPhone, just on my iPad Pro 11" M1.

3) When I tap/hold on a thread, the preview that pops up is also just a repeat of the forum index (same as it is if I tap Open in Background)... see attached screen shot

4) However, if I instead select on Open in New Window, it DOES open the thread (in split-view).

Attachments

• IMG_0530.PNG
    IMG_0530.PNG
    966.6 KB · Views: 75

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Not seeing it on my iPad ("Open in Background" is iPadOS) or my iPhone. Both on 17.0.1.

However, have seen this. Generally it's Safari acting up in general. Swipe away (aka quit) of Safari clears things up. Worst case, re-boot the device.
Thanks... just tried quitting Safari, and also restarting the iPad, but the behavior is still occurring.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I only have access to an iPad with 17.1 beta at the moment, and that's also working fine for me when I replicate what you're showing.

Possible bug with 17.0.2? Maybe someone else running that version can check.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
I just did the update for 17.0.3 and by default I didn't have the option to open in a background tab. When going into Settings>Safari and turning on open links in background, you get that option when you long press but lose that default action of opening in new tab (where it switches to that tab automatically).

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 5.06.24 PM.jpeg

PederOo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
Still no fix or workaround for this?
i still see it on so e sites: e.g groene.nl

Or was the site/forum changed to make it compatiblr again?

Last edited:

Lpadovani

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2023
Hi, this is the only place I found where this issue is being discussed. For me it started the day I upgraded to ipados 17 and happens only on some sites (wikiwand, G1), but not others.

Has anyone been able to find a solution? For the moment, I'm opening the links in new Safari WINDOWS (as opposed to background tabs) and then merging everything into the same window, but this is horrible. :)

PederOo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
I found you can also hold your finger on a link and then drag it to the tab bar. Annoying that you still must remember on which sites to do that, but less bothersome than opening another window.

• Love
Reactions: Lpadovani

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
The behavior not working for some of you is that when opening in a background tab, the thread doesn't load as it should?

I have an SE 2nd gen and it works fine here and @NoBoMac says it's working ok on an iPad.

To those with the issue, do you have any extensions / content blockers installed for Safari?

Reactions: PederOo

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
My favored way of reading posts is to tap/hold on them and open each in a background tab. That way I can scroll through the list of posts, find ones that I want to read, and get them all queued up, rather than reading one, going back to the list of threads, reading another, and so on.

But selecting “Open in Background” in iOS Safari does not work… rather than opening the thread, it simply opens another instance of the forum (list of threads).
I do the same, and both iPad and iPhone safari work normally for me. Do you have any extensions?

PederOo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
After checking
The behavior not working for some of you is that when opening in a background tab, the thread doesn't load as it should?

I have an SE 2nd gen and it works fine here and @NoBoMac says it's working ok on an iPad.

To those with the issue, do you have any extensions / content blockers installed for Safari?
Thanks for looking into this. This is getting confusing.
I have this problem on iPados17.0.3, but not on this forum. So I was hoping you had changed something in the forum to fix this. apparently not.

From later posts I understand that other people are still experiencing this problem on their iPads on IpadOS 17.0.3 And iPhones on IOS 17.0.3. Correct?

I only have this problem on my iPad, not on my iPhone 11.

I am experiencing this problem on my iPad still on groene.nl.
turning off all extensions, restarting or wiping data for that site did not help. Unless there is some magic order in which you haveto take these actions.

I am lost what causes this but will be monitoring this thread for solutions.
thanx!

PederOo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2017
OK, not sure I understand, but I think it solved it for me.
On my iPad I noticed in Safari settings - Request Desktop website I had a setting for groene.nl and it was set to off. So it would request the mobile site by default (and probably on new tabs).
If I set the Website setting (aA in address bar when visiting the site) to Desktop website the bug was gone. If I set it back to mobile site it would reappear.

I had a setting for macrumours to loadDesktop by default. If I set it to mobile it would now also show the bug on my iPad.

I could not reproduce this behavior on my iphone. It would always open the link correctly. No atter the website setting.

After clearing all Settings-Safari-Desktop Website data on my iPad groene.nl would work ok whether I set website settings to Mobile or Desktop.
After some switching groene.nl website settings back and forth I suddenly had the problem again.

It seems to (sometimes) appear when you switch website settings from Desktop back to mobile. Possibly it is related to the setting for Desktop website for All/other. I really have to get some sleep now.

Reactions: Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Thanks
OK, not sure I understand, but I think it solved it for me.
On my iPad I noticed in Safari settings - Request Desktop website I had a setting for groene.nl and it was set to off. So it would request the mobile site by default (and probably on new tabs).
If I set the Website setting (aA in address bar when visiting the site) to Desktop website the bug was gone. If I set it back to mobile site it would reappear.

I had a setting for macrumours to loadDesktop by default. If I set it to mobile it would now also show the bug on my iPad.

I could not reproduce this behavior on my iphone. It would always open the link correctly. No atter the website setting.

After clearing all Settings-Safari-Desktop Website data on my iPad groene.nl would work ok whether I set website settings to Mobile or Desktop.
After some switching groene.nl website settings back and forth I suddenly had the problem again.

It seems to (sometimes) appear when you switch website settings from Desktop back to mobile. Possibly it is related to the setting for Desktop website for All/other. I really have to get some sleep now.
Thanks! That fixed it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.