Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmontielmaillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Open Letter to Steve Jobs,

I took the liberty to write you a letter after yesterday’s announcement of the iPad to express my concerns about the future of your product and also why I’m unsatisfied by what the iPad has to offer.

Yesterday the iPad was announced as a possible market penetrator that, as you said, would fit between an iPod touch/iPhone and a Mac. I certainly agree with that, I think that there is room for one more product as long as it is affordable (and in my opinion, it turned out to be so, given the $499 entry price of the iPad). On the other hand, I’m disappointed due to the lack of innovation on the software side of this “magical and revolutionary device”. Let’s be real, there is little innovation when talking about software on the iPad (which is basically the iPhoneOS), and I think the iPad has yet to demonstrate it’s a “revolutionary” device. As you said on the conference, there are 75 million people who already know how to use an iPhone and/or and iPod touch, and at the same time, there are 75 million people who already have a sort of portable iPad on their hands! I know, I know.. this has a bigger screen so watching a movie, browsing the web is much easier. Listening to music? not so much... but the fact is that the lack of software innovation is, unfortunately, going to keep me away from buying one of these things (even though I already know how to use it - I feel like I already have it or at least doesn’t offer anything truly new). In my humble opinion, there so much room for creating a better UI that gives you something that the iPhone or the iPod touch could never give you.

You have probably already heard about the complaints of what the iPad is missing and why it’s a disappointment. According to PC World there are twelve things the iPad should have had. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want those twelve issues fixed before buying and iPad, but there are two that keep me from doing so having already an iPhone or iPod touch. These are, the lack of a revolutionary UI, and the lack of a video camera for iChat.
Let me start with the second and least important one. I’m the user of a netbook. Yes, those cheap computers that aren’t better at anything. The fact is that netbooks, even though they’re slow, let me video chat while I’m in the University, or on a trip, or in anywhere else where I don’t carry my MacBook Pro because I find the netbook a lot lighter. Certainly the iPad is lighter than the netbook, but it won’t let me video chat.

Now, about the UI. Please please pleaseee! get rid of the iPhone OS and start a new iPad OS! Not that the iPhone OS isn’t any good (it’s actually excellent and I love my iPod touch in terms of hardware and software), but it was developed for the iPhone, a device with a limited screen size, with limited processing capabilities. The iPad has a much larger screen, and certainly has much better processing capabilities. In a way, I feel that the UI is being underused. Having such a beautiful screen just to display the same icons that the iPhone has? There so much more that could be done, and there is so much more the iPad could and should offer in order to say: wow, I need that!. I have a few ideas, but the purpose of this letter is not to sell them (I bet people at Apple have tons of great ideas) but to let you know that the iPad has to be much more than just an “iPhone on steroids”. As you said, the iPad needs to better at certain things in order to fit an already crowded market, and in my opinion, it’s only partially better. Let me explain why the UI is underused to me. When I get home and I lift the screen of my MacBook Pro, I ALWAYS do the same things first. These are, checking my email, checking the weather for the next few days, checking the latest news, checking the currency values (which are of particular interest to me) and opening the calendar to see what things need to be done or where do I need to be today or tomorrow. I do all of this by opening the dashboard, the calendar application and safari, and I do it all more or less at the same time. The problem with the iPad is that it offers no multitasking, meaning that I have to open (and close!) five different applications in order to do the same that I do on my MacBook Pro. Is the iPad better at doing those things? I think not. I wish there was some sort of iPad Dashboard/Home Screen where you could organize the most important things you need to see with many widgets (or whatever) to choose from (created by the same people who create the applications). In the end, having such a screen just to display icons of applications that open independently is not the most efficient way to display information. As I said, there’s much more to be done in order to the iPad become the device I need, and not just want.

Sincerely yours,
Jesus Montiel Maillo

P.S. By the way, the fact that it doesn’t have Flash, a rear camera, HDMI, etc, is not an issue to me, but those two things I mentioned earlier are, and will keep me from buying.

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Is that the actual letter you submitted? I hope you did not say "please, please, pleaseeee."
Let us know if you get a reply, even if it's one of those, "Thanks for your opinion. S Jobs," emails.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
If you want results... change your sig

Sincerely yours,
Jesus Montiel Maillo

Nice sig...but

Sincerely yours,
Jesus

That should get his attention :)

jmontielmaillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Is that the actual letter you submitted? I hope you did not say "please, please, pleaseeee."
Let us know if you get a reply, even if it's one of those, "Thanks for your opinion. S Jobs," emails.

No I have not submitted it.. If you know his email then you can do it for me... Just wanted to express my disappointment.. as can you (if you are) in this thread! Hope he reads it.. Or at least someone at Apple!

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I'm pretty sure Apple gets bombarded with letters all the time. Also why do you need a new OS just for multitasking? I originally wanted full OS X so iWork and multitasking would be included. Apple took care of iWork but have not gotten to multitasking, I'm pretty sure the iPhone OS is capable of it. Hopefully when multitasking is implemented in the future there really is no need for a whole new OS. Icons are icons, what matters to me is what happens when you touch one of those icons. The OS will continue to develop and take advantage of faster processors, it is not limited to only taking advantage of certain processing power. As processors get more powerful so will the OS.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I'm pretty sure Apple gets bombarded with letters all the time. Also why do you need a new OS just for multitasking? I originally wanted full OS X so iWork and multitasking would be included. Apple took care of iWork but have not gotten to multitasking, I'm pretty sure the iPhone OS is capable of it. Hopefully when multitasking is implemented in the future there really is no need for a whole new OS. Icons are icons, what matters to me is what happens when you touch one of those icons. The OS will continue to develop and take advantage of faster processors, it is not limited to only taking advantage of certain processing power. As processors get more powerful so will the OS.

Of course the OS is capable of it. Even the iPhone multitasks built-in apps. And jailbreaking allows multitasking. It's simply a design choice, not a question of feasibility. A new OS is not required.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
It's a big iPhone. Didn't you see? with big apps!

But your letter doesn't suggest anything different. The things you complain about are equally applicable to iPhone. There should be multitasking, a better start screen, improved springboard, etc. on BOTH devices. Why do you propose differentiation between devices - instead you should ask that the iPhone OS be improved.

Personally, I suspect it will be - in version 4.0. The iPad runs 3.2, a minor upgrade from 3.1, frankly.

jmontielmaillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010

You're right... there's no need for a new OS. But... you think the same OS you find on the iPhone (same UI) does justice to what the iPad might be capable of? In my opinion it does not... so whether you call it iPhone OS 3.2 or iPad OS 1.0 a new UI is needed.

jmontielmaillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
But your letter doesn't suggest anything different. The things you complain about are equally applicable to iPhone. There should be multitasking, a better start screen, improved springboard, etc. on BOTH devices. Why do you propose differentiation between devices - instead you should ask that the iPhone OS be improved.

Personally, I suspect it will be - in version 4.0. The iPad runs 3.2, a minor upgrade from 3.1, frankly.

On my letter I wrote I was satisfied with the iPhone in terms of hardware and software. The fact that you can't run OS X on the iPhone is because of the limited CPU power AND screen size (it just wouldn't be reasonable) but the iPad has a netbook size screen so.. why not improve the UI in order to take profit from the larger screen?

BTW... I'm not saying the iPad should have OS X.. just and improved version of iPhone OS (or iPad OS if you wish) :)

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
On my letter I wrote I was satisfied with the iPhone in terms of hardware and software. The fact that you can't run OS X on the iPhone is because of the limited CPU power AND screen size (it just wouldn't be reasonable) but the iPad has a netbook size screen so.. why not improve the UI in order to take profit from the larger screen?

BTW... I'm not saying the iPad should have OS X.. just and improved version of iPhone OS (or iPad OS if you wish) :)

Right, but the improvements you are asking for are perfectly possible on the iPhone, as well - many of these things can already be done by jailbreaking. So instead of saying "iPhone is fine, but the iPad needs more" how about saying "iPhone OS 4.0 needs more?"

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
marble

Personally, I would love to see the much rumored marble interface manifest itself through the iPad. I mean something brighter, more colorul, and a unique UI would really make some great selling points. I just dont like seeing a stretched out iphone look! I mean seriously?! Four little icons on that huge dock! Come on!

jmontielmaillo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Right, but the improvements you are asking for are perfectly possible on the iPhone, as well - many of these things can already be done by jailbreaking. So instead of saying "iPhone is fine, but the iPad needs more" how about saying "iPhone OS 4.0 needs more?"

You are right, iPhone OS 4.0 needs more. But the point is that you can NEVER compare what you can do on a larger screen and superior CPU on the iPad with what you can do on a smartphone.

If you put too many things in a home screen on a 3.5" screen you lose simplicity (which Apple AND I love) but you CAN put more things on a 9.7" screen without losing it? get my point?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Personally, I would love to see the much rumored marble interface manifest itself through the iPad. I mean something brighter, more colorul, and a unique UI would really make some great selling points. I just dont like seeing a stretched out iphone look! I mean seriously?! Four little icons on that huge dock! Come on!

Marble is supposedly LESS colorful and more neutral and professional looking.

voidptr

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2007
You're right... there's no need for a new OS. But... you think the same OS you find on the iPhone (same UI) does justice to what the iPad might be capable of? In my opinion it does not... so whether you call it iPhone OS 3.2 or iPad OS 1.0 a new UI is needed.

There are new UI elements in Cocoa Touch specifically for the iPad. It's under NDA until it ships. Creating a completely new API and UI for the iPad would doom it for developers. Making good iPhone / iPad apps with similar but separate UIs tailored for each is going to be work enough as is, let alone debs who are already maintaining separate iPhone and Mac versions of their software.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
There are new UI elements in Cocoa Touch specifically for the iPad. It's under NDA until it ships. Creating a completely new API and UI for the iPad would doom it for developers. Making good iPhone / iPad apps with similar but separate UIs tailored for each is going to be work enough as is, let alone debs who are already maintaining separate iPhone and Mac versions of their software.

The mail app in the video shows pretty much all of the new UI elements.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Holy wall of text Batman! Quick Robin! Basic paragraph structure is his one weakness.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've actually had Steve Jobs reply to an email I sent him before. He was very helpful and put me in touch with a senior iPhone engineer to resolve an issue with the iPhone 2.0 software when it was having it's problems. The key to getting his response is a short, to the point message. Try to focus on the core of what you want to say. Sound intelligent and be firm. Then send your message to sjobs@apple.com. That's how real men conduct business and if you're lucky you will get a response.

Beyond your camera complaint, I think that there will be several updates to the iPad with iPhone OS 4.0 this summer. Remember, right now it's only running 3.2. Honestly, I think that they wanted to get it to market with a solid feature set before all the other tablets this year. Think about how far the iPhone has come since version 1.0. My iPad will have so much more functionality added over the coming years. But until then I'll still have fun with it, just like my original iPhone. So don't worry too much!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
True. The last paragraph is confused about the difference between a UI and an OS, and the relationship between iPhone and iPad, and instead of just succinctly stating the problem suggests an infeasible technical solution. Steve Jobs, if he bothered to read yor letter, would stop at the point where you tell him to write a whole new OS and discount everything you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.