Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i can't figure this out (possibly because it's not do-able?)

i want to open the Pages app, but not have it open a template or the template chooser. so... just have the app open, then i can select a document from 'open recent'... or choose to start a new one.

possible?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i'm confused. i see 2 choices: to open a template i've chosen, or to be confronted with the template chooser. but no way to just open the app.

so, are you being shown the template chooser?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
i'm confused. i see 2 choices: to open a template i've chosen, or to be confronted with the template chooser. but no way to just open the app.

so, are you being shown the template chooser?
This is what I see when I open Pages.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.53.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.53.21 PM.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 87

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
(?) Pages uses templates, and has used templates since the beginning of Pages.
How can you get away from using templates, when the Pages creates documents starting from templates?

One method would be to change the default setting for New Documents to some template of your choice, instead of the Template Chooser.
Or, you can save the document of your choice, then double-click THAT file to open Pages.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
(?) Pages uses templates, and has used templates since the beginning of Pages.
How can you get away from using templates, when the Pages creates documents starting from templates?

One method would be to change the default setting for New Documents to some template of your choice, instead of the Template Chooser.
Or, you can save the document of your choice, then double-click THAT file to open Pages.
i have it opening the template of my choice; but i want it, like most apps, to open to nothing. then i can go to 'open recent' and return to the document i want to open. apparently, this can not be done.

apple_robert: perhaps an icloud feature? this does not happen on my (non-icloud docs) macs.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I do understand what you mean by "nothing"...
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV), Pages is not "like most apps", so the closest that you get to nothing is either the template chooser, or opening the single template of your choosing. Or, the choice for iCloud...
I prefer to double-click on the document that I already know I want to open. Saves that couple of clicks that you would have to do normally, when you really want to get to THAT document, anyway. Just my 2 cents, I suppose (and maybe worth that :cool: )

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I do understand what you mean by "nothing"...
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your POV), Pages is not "like most apps", so the closest that you get to nothing is either the template chooser, or opening the single template of your choosing. Or, the choice for iCloud...
I prefer to double-click on the document that I already know I want to open. Saves that couple of clicks that you would have to do normally, when you really want to get to THAT document, anyway. Just my 2 cents, I suppose (and maybe worth that :cool: )
i understand this, of course. and i generally open everything from the file, not the app. but i have some projects that are levels-deep, and quicker to get them from the 'open recent' menu in pages... after i first close the template.

i could put aliases of them on my desktop, for example. but i don't want to see them until i need to work on them... and that's my problem, sadly. so it goes, am used to the process as it is. thanx!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
You could put the aliases in a folder (doesn't need to be on Desktop), then drag the folder to the Dock.

Yes, the folder is still visible, unless you use the slidey-hidey Dock feature, but it's not technically "on the desktop", and your options for how to expand a Dock folder are different than if you simply put the folder of aliases on the Desktop.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
You could put the aliases in a folder (doesn't need to be on Desktop), then drag the folder to the Dock.

Yes, the folder is still visible, unless you use the slidey-hidey Dock feature, but it's not technically "on the desktop", and your options for how to expand a Dock folder are different than if you simply put the folder of aliases on the Desktop.
a reasonable idea (but am not a reasonable person); i have had the dock locked away (with a terminal command, since 10.3.9); i never use it. ?

will either just add the parent folder to the desktop, or the sidebar... and get on with it. thanks for the idea tho!

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
i have it opening the template of my choice; but i want it, like most apps, to open to nothing. then i can go to 'open recent' and return to the document i want to open. apparently, this can not be done.
At least in my configuration, this Applescript does what you describe:
Code:
tell application "Pages"
    activate
    set x to make document
    delay 1
    close x
end tell
Ok this is maybe not the most elegant solution on the planet :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Different people like different things.

I have a couple folders in my Dock. I don't use Sidebar at all.

I also have a folder named "Tools", with about a dozen tools in it I use regularly, and a handful of folders.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
At least in my configuration, this Applescript does what you describe:
Code:
tell application "Pages"
    activate
    set x to make document
    delay 1
    close x
end tell
Ok this is maybe not the most elegant solution on the planet :)
but it's something; thanx, will try that...

edit: hmmm. saved it as an application, placed in apps folder. when i click it, pages opens TWO templates... ?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
hmm, on both my macs, it's either the template chooser, or a template i selected. think it's becausew i am not using pages in the cloud... (that's what you both have in common, from your images)...
Perhaps you can try and delete Pages using AppCleaner, so all Pages related settings should be wiped off your computer. Next, download Pages again should give you a fresh start.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Perhaps you can try and delete Pages using AppCleaner, so all Pages related settings should be wiped off your computer. Next, download Pages again should give you a fresh start.
there are 2 options in Pages preferences; "show template chooser", or "use template: " (where i can select my own). it seems that pages users who work in icloud documents have the startup open a different window.

i have pages on 2 macs; same behavior. there's nothing to 'fix'.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
there are 2 options in Pages preferences; "show template chooser", or "use template: " (where i can select my own). it seems that pages users who work in icloud documents have the startup open a different window.

i have pages on 2 macs; same behavior. there's nothing to 'fix'.
When Pages opens with the" show template chooser"page ignore it and go up to File and choose Recents like you want. If you used the dock you can right click on the icon and then choose Recents, this works on a lot of Apps.

Reactions: MiG007

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I'm not using Pages in the cloud - never have - and mine opens to a recently used directory. If I don't click on any of those files and instead click "New Document" I get the templates options with "Blank" highlighted as the default.

If I don't click "New Document" and simply ignore that window, I can click Files drop-down menu and select a recent document.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
on both my macs, i get the 'choose a template' window; and 'recents' (in that window) shows recent templates only. i click 'cancel', and then go to file>open recent.

if i select a template to open with, that opens. i close it, then go to 'open recent'. on both macs, that's all i can do.

anyway... i created an alias on my desktop for the 'levels-deep' folder, and can open the docs from there.

thanx all!

MiG007

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
on both my macs, i get the 'choose a template' window; and 'recents' (in that window) shows recent templates only. i click 'cancel', and then go to file>open recent.

if i select a template to open with, that opens. i close it, then go to 'open recent'. on both macs, that's all i can do.

anyway... i created an alias on my desktop for the 'levels-deep' folder, and can open the docs from there.

thanx all!
Don't bother with cancelling the template chooser, just immediately go up to File menu and chose Open Recents. When you chose the file you want the template chooser closes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.