Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFoster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Chillicothe, Illinois
I go to St. Ambrose University, and i have a Macbook pro..if you need any other specifics let me know. My problem is that i can not play my Call Of Duty 4 game on the internet because IT has the port blocked. I asked them if they could open it, and they told me that they dont open ports for PC games. :( Im not really sure why, but i find that BS. :mad: I was wondering if there is any possible way around this or someway to cheat the system..any help will be greatly appreciated!!

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
Hm. Help you find a way to violate the IT policy of your university. Do they teach ethics at your school?

Just FYI, port blocking is primarily a security procedure, so it isn't just BS.

MacFoster2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Chillicothe, Illinois
I understand that its a security reason, but i dont understand why they dont allow opening of ports for pc video games. Its not like im hacking, or illegally downloading.. I just want to play my game on my computer beacuse i dont have one.. And they said that the best way for me to get to play my games is to go out and buy an X-box 360, which im sure as H*** not gunna go out and do...

corbywan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Forest Grove, OR
If you understand it is a security precaution then you have to understand why they don't open the ports for games. They don't open them because they are a security risk. In addition, they waste bandwidth on your school's intranet and internet connection. Can you imagine how clogged up the network would get if they allowed that kind of gaming? I don't think your tuition covers those costs. Sorry, but that's just the way it is. If you wanna play, you gotta pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.