Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
That company has always gotten on my nerves. All they do is repackage open-source software (older releases of the software) and sell it. Does that not defeat the purpose of the open-source idea? If they really wanted to be cool, they wouldn't sell GNU software in download format.

Also, they could give everything an integrated name-theme.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yeah I don't get it... If we wanted to have an X11 office suite, we'd just all go with OpenOffice... If they could get AbiWord to run natively in OS X, then some heads would turn. This company seems to bother me too...
-kev

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
sockeatingdryer said:
That company has always gotten on my nerves. All they do is repackage open-source software (older releases of the software) and sell it. Does that not defeat the purpose of the open-source idea? If they really wanted to be cool, they wouldn't sell GNU software in download format.

I totally see where you're coming from, but if you're not a savvy user, this may be an easy way to install it, so you don't mind paying the $30... Just a thought.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
pgwalsh said:
I totally see where you're coming from, but if you're not a savvy user, this may be an easy way to install it, so you don't mind paying the $30... Just a thought.
Eh for $30... you could get Mellell or something else, native OS X apps

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
If someone released a shareware app that auto-installed OpenOffice and all necessary components, giving you replacements for Word, Excel, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't have had the time/expertise to obtain, I don't think anyone would be angry about asking a $30 shareware fee. It would be worth it to some, not to others.

They're going one further, offering it all as a single download or CD. And they're not claiming it's anything it isn't as near as I can tell.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I think that if the Gentoo Portage system for OSX comes along in a big way it would allow for a lot more Open Source apps to become much more widely adopted. Maybe someone will decide to port it to Windows, just to give them a taste of what they could have...

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Just as an addition to my last comment, I think the major downfall of a lot of the open source world is the UI, there is not much work done to make it more innovative. Most feel like cheap rip offs of costly applications.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
davecuse said:
Just as an addition to my last comment, I think the major downfall of a lot of the open source world is the UI, there is not much work done to make it more innovative. Most feel like cheap rip offs of costly applications.
Of course MS did show how much work a simple GUI change can be, I think they listed the number of new graphics icons included in the first Carbonized version of Office -- was quite a bit, for a look and feel switch.

Apple did say the switch to get the program running in Carbon was rather easy, but they always left out the enourmous amount of work that it takes to make an Cargon app into a true OS X app with all the GUI changes.

So while we may not like the X11 UI ruining our OS X experience, that seemingly simple GUI switch is a big job.

mcarvin

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Southern NJ
sockeatingdryer said:

Months ago, I had to test a project on a PC. Since my PowerBook was down at the time, I had to try Bochs. Didn't go well - was too slow, and I couldn't really understand how to optimize it. Then I came across OpenOSX Wintel 1.2. Optimized for the G5! they said. I blew $20 or $30 on it - can't remember. Not much faster than Bochs and more importantly, no updates unless you buy into their subscription plan.

The guy was also a complete jerk when he got around to answering my support questions after a couple of days. Short, one- or two-sentence curtly-written replies and for one question, he just sent a link with no explanation on how to implement it. Before your ask, I had only three questions for him, which I don't consider an unreasonable amount. If he did anything for me, it would be that he turned me on to learning how to make open-source work for me instead of buying from him.

I like Mellel. It's fast and inexpensive for the time being. I hear Nisus Writer Express is pretty good too.

Max_Barel

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2004
Give NeoOffice a try!

Most posters here seem to ignore that there is an implementation of OpenOffice for OS X using Java instead of X11 as the underlying software library. You don't need X11 to run it. It uses native OS X font and printing system. It's powerful and free.

It's called NeoOffice/J. Port is by a smart guy named Patrick Luby.
The web site is here.
There is also an active bulletin board and forum site here
The current stable version is based on OpenOffice 1.0 but there is also a brand new alpha version using OpenOffice 1.1, and it rocks!

Max

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
there is already a very very beta version of a native AbiWord available here. it's pretty fast and useful already, and once it gets ms word importing capability and has some of the crashing bugs fixed, it will be just as good as the x11 version.

Max_Barel

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2004
nagromme said:
If someone released a shareware app that auto-installed OpenOffice and all necessary components, giving you replacements for Word, Excel, etc. that you otherwise wouldn't have had the time/expertise to obtain, I don't think anyone would be angry about asking a $30 shareware fee. It would be worth it to some, not to others.
Both OpenOffice/X11 and NeoOffice/J (for Mac OS X) are, for a long time now, packaged in a self running installer doing exactly this.
And all for free.
See the Trinity site which gives entry to both version of the port and also much information.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Well if the above is true, then what is the $30 for, exactly?
He's just taking advantage of people who don't know better, and think they're getting something for their $30. I don't like that. Its free software, and they're trying to make money off of it. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.