Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Folks, when opening System Settings, is it possible to set a default for it to open on the General tab?
Mine currently opens on Appearance and would prefer that it opened on General?

Reactions: kkclstuff

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I think it's a bug in System Settings, as the CurrentExtensionURL is saved in com.apple.systempreferences.plist, but not respected when opening the app again.
You can create a simple app with Script Editor to open it at any desired tab
Code:
do shell script "open x-apple.systempreferences:com.apple.systempreferences.GeneralSettings"

"Opening macOS Ventura’s System Settings to desired locations via the command line"
https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2...gs-to-desired-locations-via-the-command-line/
Similar example of small app/"launcher" https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...c-app-icon-for-freeform.2376497/post-31865630

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for the tip bodanw. I'll see if Apple fixes this over next couple of months and if not I'll try your tip.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Hi Thanks bogdanw!

im a 35yr Mac user but a noob to any kind of coding, but isn't there a way to 'edit' the prefmapping.plist file to open 'General' instead of 'Appearance'?

Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 12.59.29 PM.png

Im baffled at how  is moving away from obvious/helpful things like this.

Reactions: Chuckeee

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
hi sorry, this was in a comment added to the above links: /System/Library/CoreServices/HelpViewer.app/Content/Resources/prefsmapping.plist

I tried to edit a dup of the plist, but access denied to replace the original? (also tried to unlock the plist in 'get info')

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
im guessing more knowledgable Mac users have probably gone down these roads... but again its baffling why Apple would do this—Its a very WIN98 move.

anyway, appreciate your input and posts👍

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
It's 2024 and this is still the case. WTF? Granted it's technically not broken or causing problems, but I've seen countless google searches on this topic after I went looking that they should surely know it's annoying problem for a bunch of people. Unless statistically people are clicking to "Appearance" way more than the other settings when opening MacOS settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.