Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralledev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Sweden
Hello, i going to start run a Celestia node, witch is a Web3 project in testnet. Im just installing the node with Homebrew, and are in this state of the install:
Skärmavbild 2023-04-08 kl. 18.53.56.png

In the guide does it state to open these ports on these different protocols, I'm not used to Mac nor it's syntax at all and I really want to get this part right, so I don't mess up the pf and shooting myself in the foot. Shall i open the port here in this state of the install in the image above? or in a new terminal?

anyways the config and port to be opened is (image below):
Opera Snapshot_2023-04-08_183557_docs.celestia.org.png

So how do I move on?, I don't want to do over the whole installation process so I will have my terminal open in Homebrew, as stated if the first img. The guide to install the node and open these ports are in their docs here:

Also as stated in the headline is a Macbook air with Monterey as OS with an Intel i5.

I hope there is a networking dev on MacOs here.. because i'm lost in the blue right now...

Thanks,
Regards Rasmus

Ralledev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Sweden

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
as @bogdanw srated, the ports should be open. There seems to be no particular problem if you provide the core ip, gateway ip, etc. as printed out - and running it first from the shell allows for nice debugging… and you can kill it a any time “not shooting yourself in the foot”. 🤓

Are you asking how to get your internal and external IP address, as well as the one from your gateway?

run ifconfig or ifconfig -a. This command shows you the list of interfaces along with their IP and MAC addresses. You can also use ifconfig en0 or ifconfig en1 for the configuration of a particular interface only (en0 is typically the wired Ethernet while en1 is the WiFi interface).

netstat -i will list all interfaces and will show you the IP addresses assigned to each of them.

If you're the OS Primary interface and primary IP address, you can use the scutil.

to see you external IP use e.g.: wget -qO - http://ipecho.net/plain; echo

Ralledev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Sweden
as @bogdanw srated, the ports should be open. There seems to be no particular problem if you provide the core ip, gateway ip, etc. as printed out - and running it first from the shell allows for nice debugging… and you can kill it a any time “not shooting yourself in the foot”. 🤓

Are you asking how to get your internal and external IP address, as well as the one from your gateway?

run ifconfig or ifconfig -a. This command shows you the list of interfaces along with their IP and MAC addresses. You can also use ifconfig en0 or ifconfig en1 for the configuration of a particular interface only (en0 is typically the wired Ethernet while en1 is the WiFi interface).

netstat -i will list all interfaces and will show you the IP addresses assigned to each of them.

If you're the OS Primary interface and primary IP address, you can use the scutil.

to see you external IP use e.g.: wget -qO - http://ipecho.net/plain; echo
Thank you for explaining, now I feel way more comfortable in continuing now, then I will just in the first image provide the nessicary info about gateway, ip etc... and if I bump into something I do. Sweet that they're open by default makes the process much easier. I will just login into the gateway alos and open the port there so the gateway wont block any incoming signals from the network, I guess.

Thank you for a clear provided answer + other useful information around the topic, many thank to you!
Have a great day!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.