Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Anyone else get this? It's a recurring problem that right clicking on a file, and choosing "Open With" and then selecting an app from the contextual menu, launches the copy on a mirrored backup disk, rather than the version in /Applications on the boot disk.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
The "open with" should show the app which is listed as the default app and launch it. If the same app is on a mirrored backup drive it may be listed as the default rather than the one on your boot drive. If that's the case, you can always change it so that the apps that are on your boot drive are selected instead.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The "open with" should show the app which is listed as the default app and launch it. If the same app is on a mirrored backup drive it may be listed as the default rather than the one on your boot drive. If that's the case, you can always change it so that the apps that are on your boot drive are selected instead.
No the problem is when i want to open a document in the app that *isn't* the default for that filetype, it's opening it from a backup drive rather than the version on the boot drive.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Done both of those, the problem eventually comes back.

For example, Affinity Photo, installed in /Applications is already running. I right click a .png file, choose Open With, choose Affinity Photo from the list - and instead of opening it in the version already running, it tries to open the copy from the bootable mirror backup (Chronosync).

Drives that you can't search on in Finder, because they're in spotlight privacy, have apps stored on them populate the Open With contextual menu, but the system is refusing to direct Open With to anything in /Applications on the boot drive.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm not familiar with Chronosync but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that you're using it.

What method did you use to rebuild the Spotlight index?

Does everything work as it should if the backup drive isn't mounted?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'm not familiar with Chronosync but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the fact that you're using it.

What method did you use to rebuild the Spotlight index?

Does everything work as it should if the backup drive isn't mounted?
I'd thought it might be Chronosync as wel, but it was also showing apps on a different drive that weren't backed up with it.

So far, I've removed and re-added all the appropriate drives / directories from the Spotlight privacy prefpane, as well as runnning the commantline function from here:

https://superuser.com/questions/348...external-hard-drive-from-showing-up-in-the-op

which seems to have fixed it for now, but resulted in all my share extensions in Safari, including built-in ones like add to reading list, disappearing.

But after a reboot, they seem to be back.

With the backup drive unmounted, IIRC it wasn't showing the apps on that drive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.