Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

parisc

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
I bought a low cost USB hub and have a logitech keyboard and mouse plugged into it. Knivo BTD400 bluetooth works plugged directly into MacPro. I couldn't get Apple A1255 keyboard to work. Apple mouse will connect. Bluetooth speakers work. OCLP patches must be installed for bluetooth. DVD doesn't work. Builtin audio support came back.

Reactions: pullman

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for the suggestions. I have an A1314 keyboard which works, as does the A1339 trackpad. The A1255 is the older version with three AA batteries, right? I changed the bluetooth card a number of years ago to the BCM94360CD and so far I haven't noticed any difficulties.

One thing though – must I "Build and install OpenCore" using the OCLP app on the volume I installed Monterey on?

I would have thought that was done as part of the installation process but Mr Macintosh does that at the end of his Youtube guide.

Cheers
Philip

I bought a low cost USB hub and have a logitech keyboard and mouse plugged into it. Knivo BTD400 bluetooth works plugged directly into MacPro. I couldn't get Apple A1255 keyboard to work. Apple mouse will connect. Bluetooth speakers work. OCLP patches must be installed for bluetooth. DVD doesn't work. Builtin audio support came back.

parisc

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
Yes, I believe it is a good idea to "Build and install OpenCore" on the volume where Monterey is installed. Then, OpenCore-Patcher will be installed in the applications folder and you don't have any dependency on the install disk. Set your startup volume to your Monterey volume. Then your system will boot automatically into Monterey. System upgrades will then install without intervention.

I just updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 and everything went smoothly with OCLP 1.4.3.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for explaining that. It sounds like a good idea to do.

Out of curiosity, do you notice any other things which do not function in Sonoma? I read on Dortania of a few things which are shaky as yet. The reason I selected Monterey is that it's a bit older and so hopefully many issues have been identified/ironed out.

Yes, I believe it is a good idea to "Build and install OpenCore" on the volume where Monterey is installed. Then, OpenCore-Patcher will be installed in the applications folder and you don't have any dependency on the install disk. Set your startup volume to your Monterey volume. Then your system will boot automatically into Monterey. System upgrades will then install without intervention.

I just updated to Sonoma 14.4.1 and everything went smoothly with OCLP 1.4.3.

parisc

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
I only use MacPro for one application that I can't move to Windows. So, the breadth of my experience is limited.

I had to forget and reconnect wireless network after I updated to 14.4.1.

With GTX 680, there is some video corruption. Reducing resolution sometimes helps. This might be source related. Most youtube videos play okay at 1080p. This is using Firefox.

Mail works fine. All the other apps that I have tried work. I doubt games will work well.

Machine is a bit slow. Stability is good (better than Catalina with dosdude's patcher).

I miss PATA (DVD) support.

I forgot to mention that the OpenCore-Patcher checks for updates and can update to latest version when it is installed on the target system.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Brilliant, thank you so much for posting back. I will think about it, perhaps I'll try Ventura for fun and make a comparison with Monterey. I'll see how much time I have (never enough is the answer).

I only use MacPro for one application that I can't move to Windows. So, the breadth of my experience is limited.

I had to forget and reconnect wireless network after I updated to 14.4.1.

With GTX 680, there is some video corruption. Reducing resolution sometimes helps. This might be source related. Most youtube videos play okay at 1080p. This is using Firefox.

Mail works fine. All the other apps that I have tried work. I doubt games will work well.

Machine is a bit slow. Stability is good (better than Catalina with dosdude's patcher).

I miss PATA (DVD) support.

I forgot to mention that the OpenCore-Patcher checks for updates and can update to latest version when it is installed on the target system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.