Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurtiejjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2021
Hi, trying to create a bootable USB installer via the OpenCore Legacy Patcher guide to get Big Sur running on my 2011 Imac. I followed the steps in the guide. As I have an non-flashed Nvidia GPU in the system I need to bless the EFI folder of OC as advised here. Completely stuck at this point as it's throwing an error when I enter following in terminal:

Code:
sudo bless --verbose --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi --folder /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC --setBoot

It looks like the terminal succesfully finds the EFI mountpoint and files (as I mounted the EFI prior) but then runs into an error at 'Setting EFI NVRAM'. Error comes up as:
Code:
Could not set boot device property: 0xe00002e2

I definitely made sure to disable SIP in the OCLP, also the USB is formatted as GUID. Anything else that I may be missing?

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Boot with an OS that doesn't require OCLP. Then do the bless from there.

Also, --folder is for HFS+ or APFS, not for FAT or EFI partitions. Should use the --mount option instead:
sudo bless --verbose --mount /Volumes/EFI --file /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi --setBoot

Use the dumpallbootvars command from gfxutil.sh to see how the commands affect the boot variables.
https://gist.github.com/joevt/477fe842d16095c2bfd839e2ab4794ff

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

kurtiejjj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2021
Thanks, I've managed to resolve this in a different way. For my particular scenario the USB's EFI needed to be blessed on the machine I was looking to install on, and in recovery mode.

sirroderick

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2018
London
Thanks, I've managed to resolve this in a different way. For my particular scenario the USB's EFI needed to be blessed on the machine I was looking to install on, and in recovery mode.
Do you mean just run the above UNIX script in recovery mode? Can it really be that simple? I've been trying (& failing) to upgrade my Mac Pros to Big Sur for quite a long time now and I've never seen that mentioned before.

sirroderick

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2018
London
Do you mean just run the above UNIX script in recovery mode? Can it really be that simple? I've been trying (& failing) to upgrade my Mac Pros to Big Sur for quite a long time now and I've never seen that mentioned before.
command not found. def not a typo. can only assume file path of my USB installer is different. Not sure how to check that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.