Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atosoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
HI all, Hoping someone can help with this issue that has had me puzzled for over a year now,

I have upgraded dozens and dozens of these 2011 - A1286 macs
What I do..
1, Disable onboard AMD graphics chip
2. Upgrade ram to 8gb
3. Upgrade HD to SSD
4. Install latest OS with Opencore.

The problem I have is if I use any non genuine battery with Ventura/Monterey/BigSur the mac runs awful, Like really slow and laggy like its in limp mode. These are new and used Chinese batteries I have tried, If I leave the same battery in and put in an ssd with catalina on it works perfectly, Also if I pop in a genuine Apple battery the mac will run fantastic on Ventura/Monterey/BigSur,

It's defiantly some kind of issue on this year/model mac with Ventura/Monterey/BigSur installed using opencore and the non genuine battery thats causing the issue,
Would anyone have any idea or a work around so that I can install a new battery in these with Ventura/Monterey/BigSur running?

Thanks

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
That is surprising! Sorry I don't have any great ideas for you, but I'd like to hear if someone else does... I know little about Opencore, but could using an older version make any difference with the battery handling?

I think it's great you've been able to resuscitate so many of these otherwise-great machines.

atosoup

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
OO great idea, I shall do some testing using older versions of opencore,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.