Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP) 1.0.0 made macOS Sonoma available to many Macs that could run Ventura but had been dropped from the list of supported machines able to run Sonoma. One big exception were several 2017 Mac models with a T1 chip.

I just discovered that OCLP 1.1.0 has been out for about three weeks. Looking through the documentation I read:

T1 Security chip​

Support for the T1 Security chip (Resolved in 1.1.0 and newer)
Sonoma has removed support for T1 chips found in most 2016 and 2017 Macs. Therefore on these systems, the following will not function:

• Enable or disable FileVault
  • Open the Password Settings window
  • Add fingerprints (if upgrading, existing fingerprints will be deleted)
  • Add cards to Apple Pay
I have a MacBookPro14,3 and am eager to get Sonoma running on it. However, I am wondering, whether others have installed Sonoma through OCLP 1.1.0 and can confirm that

• FileVault works,
  • the Passwords settings pane work,
  • fingerprints work, and
  • Apple Pay can add cards?

Riko_KP

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
Hey, I was wondering the same thing and currently doing a backup of my MBP 2017 just in case something proves to be unusable. Did you end up updating to Sonoma? If so, how has your experience been? I have been questioning the update because of the problems listed above and with the ones regarding Radeon GPUs.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
The MBP in question is my wife’s, and she hates it when I update her computer. Because of that and the significant amount of work involved, I have not yet done it. Please do share your experience, once you complete the upgrade!

Riko_KP

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2024
The MBP in question is my wife’s, and she hates it when I update her computer. Because of that and the significant amount of work involved, I have not yet done it. Please do share your experience, once you complete the upgrade!
Okay, that makes sense! So, I installed Sonoma yesterday with no hitches. Quick heads up if you end up doing it, the installation takes time and my system restarted about 4 times during, but just head back to the macOS Installer through the automatic boot menu upon restarts and you're good to go (happens automatically so you don't necessarily need to stay and watch).

Now, to be honest the system feels a little bit more responsive and snappy, Touch ID works out of the box just like it did before, Apple Pay seems to work (didn't actually try to pay for anything yet, and I had to verify the cards again but they're there), passwords work with auto-fill and the Passwords menu in System Settings works as it should, and FileVault can be used. So far, no complaints and not a single problem, and as I said before, it even feels a little snappier than on Ventura.

I'm currently downloading the 14.4 update as I used an older installer I had downloaded some time ago, and when I started the download OpenCore automatically installed required patches. As far as I can tell Sonoma runs perfectly on these machines, and I can't see a reason (for now) why you shouldn't update.

Reactions: DominikHoffmann
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.