Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0ng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Hi there,

Apologies if I am posting this in the incorrect place or if it is a stupid question…

I recently used the OpenCore Legacy Patcher on my MacBook Pro 2017 (14.1) so that I could use MacOS Sonoma. Since doing so, I’ve been able to use all my normal apps and so on without any issue.

However when I open my MacBook after it being asleep overnight, it doesn’t always just wake up as normal, this morning it started up as if I had shut it down the night before and reported the following:

You shut down your computer because of a problem.

If you want to open the applications that were open when you shut down, click Open.

If you do nothing, the computer will continue the login in 57 seconds.

These are the steps I’ve taken myself:

1. Made sure I have the latest OpenCore Legacy
2. Run the Post install patching a couple of times to make sure I’ve got the latest patches installed.
Yet the problem still exists.

Is anybody able to offer me any clues as to how to fix this issue? Or put me in touch with people who might?

Many thanks for any and all help! :)

Reactions: segui09516

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I have the same problem from time to time. It is to be expected in early development. If you want a more trouble free experience with OCLP, you should use Ventura.

m0ng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
I have the same problem from time to time. It is to be expected in early development. If you want a more trouble free experience with OCLP, you should use Ventura.
Ah I see. I’m glad it’s not something I broke somehow. Thank you, I’ll make sure I keep installing the latest patches as they appear.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Ah I see. I’m glad it’s not something I broke somehow. Thank you, I’ll make sure I keep installing the latest patches as they appear.
I'm positive you're doing it right. Installing and crossing fingers, that is the way. In my case, the Photos widget crashes the Photos app more often than not. It shouldn't, but it does. Hopefully, it'll disappear.

m0ng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Are you finding that this latest version of OCLP makes the fingerprint sensor, stored ApplePay credit cards, etc. work?
Erm, I can use the fingerprint button to open from screensaver, to confirm passwords and stuff, but when I tried to purchase something with Apple Pay, it kept wanting me to confirm on my watch or phone... 🫤

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Erm, I can use the fingerprint button to open from screensaver, to confirm passwords and stuff, but when I tried to purchase something with Apple Pay, it kept wanting me to confirm on my watch or phone... 🫤
It does the same thing on my M1 Max MacBook Pro. That may not be a function of your using OCLP but a different kind of configuration. I never tracked it down on my system.

m0ng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Sorry, I got it wrong - I had forgotten to finish adding my bank cards to the Wallet - they were there, presumably from the cloud or restore I did, but apparently they needed to be properly authorised again. Now I can apparently buy stuff with just my fingerprint button on the keyboard (not my watch or phone).

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Sorry, I got it wrong - I had forgotten to finish adding my bank cards to the Wallet - they were there, presumably from the cloud or restore I did, but apparently they needed to be properly authorised again. Now I can apparently buy stuff with just my fingerprint button on the keyboard (not my watch or phone).
This means, essentially, that to first order OCLP 1.2.0 brings Sonoma to the 2017 MacBook Pro.

segui09516

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
Same happening to me, using OCLP 1.2.1 in my MacBookPro14,1 2017.

After night, always is off and after booting up, it says "You shut down your computer because of a problem.".

Even after a single sleep, Wi-Fi always appears disconnected and reconnecting. Anyone with the same issue?

iMac'd

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2021
Hi there,

Apologies if I am posting this in the incorrect place or if it is a stupid question…

I recently used the OpenCore Legacy Patcher on my MacBook Pro 2017 (14.1) so that I could use MacOS Sonoma. Since doing so, I’ve been able to use all my normal apps and so on without any issue.

However when I open my MacBook after it being asleep overnight, it doesn’t always just wake up as normal, this morning it started up as if I had shut it down the night before and reported the following:

These are the steps I’ve taken myself:

1. Made sure I have the latest OpenCore Legacy
2. Run the Post install patching a couple of times to make sure I’ve got the latest patches installed.
Yet the problem still exists.

Is anybody able to offer me any clues as to how to fix this issue? Or put me in touch with people who might?

Many thanks for any and all help! :)
Same happening to me, using OCLP 1.2.1 in my MacBookPro14,1 2017.

After night, always is off and after booting up, it says "You shut down your computer because of a problem.".

Even after a single sleep, Wi-Fi always appears disconnected and reconnecting. Anyone with the same issue?
I had that message after every re start. I think I asked Google Bard and the answer was counter intuitive; I don't recall but it was something like entering a terminal command line with what seemed like an irrelevant command; I may have had it pre OCLP. PS In case I'm incorrect - don't spend too much time with any so called AI; they seem "confident" but have been highly deficient in their regurgitation of online info.

m0ng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
Just thought I'd circle back to this - the " Your computer shut down because of a problem" - I'm glad to say has not been an issue for a while.

But I'm now getting an issue with sleep/wake/hibernation that I'm wondering if anyone else is having? That is - my 2017 MBP 14.1 always does a full reboot when I open the lid. the hibernation feature very rarely works.

I've checked to see what hibernation mode it's set to and it's on 3 - which I believe is normal. Should I try changing it to 25?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.