Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
Hello Everyone

Current Mac Pro
macos Mojave 10.14.6
Mac pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 (dual cpu)
48gb ram
rx 580 8gb sapphire
samsung nvme 1tb 970 (boot drive)

I'm currently using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.1 so I can install monterey. I'm currently getting this message.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 5.05.34 PM.png

Following this Youtube Video for instructions. I'm not getting the message after stating "Finished building your opencore configuration". Any idea what I may be doing wrong? Everything else has worked until this step.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 5.14.08 PM.png

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
I restarted the Mac and held down the left option key but I’m not getting a boot screen. First time installing open core on this machine. Any idea why it would not display the boot screen? I’m not hearing the Mac boot chime either.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I restarted the Mac and held down the left option key but I’m not getting a boot screen. First time installing open core on this machine. Any idea why it would not display the boot screen? I’m not hearing the Mac boot chime either.

No boot chime is a signal of hardware failure.
Were the fans running? Check the LED on the logicboard.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I restarted the Mac and held down the left option key but I’m not getting a boot screen.
This is normal. OpenCore itself won't make your cMP can use normal PC graphic card to run the native Apple boot manager.

However, OpenCore has it's own GUI boot picker (OpenCanopy), which can be display with normal PC graphic card on the cMP (as long as the card has a working UEFI GOP). If you can't see it, then most likely your RX580 has flashed for mining etc. You can flash it again back to factory state, then it should show you the UEFI GOP boot screen (if OpenCore is correctly installed).

For boot chime, that volume obey the system volume. If you internal speak set to mule, then the boot chime volume will be zero. You can also reset that boot chime volume by performing NVRAM reset.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
... as long as the card has a working UEFI GOP
Reflecting on this...

OpenCore and rEFIt variants such as RefindPlus are not tied to GOP and will work just as well when GOP is absent but UGA is present. That is, they simply need a working graphics protocol, which can be GOP or UGA. On the other hand, the default Apple Boot Manager, StartupManager, apparently only looks for UGA (on cMP at least).

The graphics protocol on the GPU, GOP or UGA, is what is used throughout once the Mac is started and there are not multiple instances of GOP used for different phases with the one supplied by the GPU, often referred to as UEFI-GOP, being a sort of basic/limited one that is meant to only be used in preboot for instance.

Well, the GPU will indeed be in a limited init state meant only for basic/preboot graphics but what happens is that the GPU is partially initialised as part of the Mac power up process (enough for hardware tests etc) and the graphics protocol from the GPU, GOP or UGA, is available around when the chime sounds following this first partial init. Later, the OS kernel connects/reconnects the graphics protocol and completes GPU initialisation by loading drivers/kexts that activate baseline GPU acceleration (for a lack of a better description).

That is, the reason for a difference in graphics performance when running such a GPU on something like El Capitan or Yosemite as compared to Big Sur or Mojave is down to whether the "baseline GPU acceleration" is present (due to the required drivers/kexts having been loaded) or absent.

As to why we get a blank screen until Mac OS loads with some GPUs such as the RX 580? Well, since StartupManager only looks for UGA and those GPUs do not have UGA, there is no graphics output until the GPU's graphics protocol (GOP for such GPUs) is connected/reconnected by the OS later. OpenCore etc simply just use the GOP from the GPU in such cases (might need to make it actually available on some Macs first).

I suppose we could understand "UEFI-GOP" as the state of the GPU before full init and I cannot think of another short and sweet term to use but slight disquiet I have is that it is often stated that tools such as OpenCore and the rEFIt variants can activate a "UEFI-GOP" which can then be used by the OS later and this is seems to imply the multiple GOP thing.

What those utilities do is to connect to the graphics protocol provided by the GPU and whatever the GPU has provided will ultimately be used by Mac OS later and the GPU accelerated, at least at the "baseline" level, by the mac OS if the drivers/kexts are available. If not, the GPU will work without any acceleration at all (same as it would for the pre-boot screen).

In some cases where GOP is present on the GPU but fails to be loaded by the GPU for misc reasons, such as was an issue with the MacPro5,1 (has a "Mutant" ConsoleOut GOP that needs handling) as well as on some Nvidia GPUs on all cMP, they can bypass the issue, trigger a reload of the protocol, and if successful, proceed as normal with the OS also proceeding as normal later.

Having rambled on this, it might still just be easier to say "UEFI-GOP"!

EDITS/NOTES
A: Maybe "EFI Graphics" or "Basic Graphics"?
B: "OC activates UEFI-GOP" likely from need to fix MP51 ConOut. Not needed on MP31 but cMP = MP51 for many

Last edited:

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
This is normal. OpenCore itself won't make your cMP can use normal PC graphic card to run the native Apple boot manager.

However, OpenCore has it's own GUI boot picker (OpenCanopy), which can be display with normal PC graphic card on the cMP (as long as the card has a working UEFI GOP). If you can't see it, then most likely your RX580 has flashed for mining etc. You can flash it again back to factory state, then it should show you the UEFI GOP boot screen (if OpenCore is correctly installed).

For boot chime, that volume obey the system volume. If you internal speak set to mule, then the boot chime volume will be zero. You can also reset that boot chime volume by performing NVRAM reset.
The rx580 has never been flashed for anything as far as I'm aware.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
Did you change to 5,1 the first time, when it failed? Or did OCLP choose 5,1 automatically?
OCLP chose 5,1 automatically when it failed. I later switched it to 4,1 to see if it would work. But I'm still receiving this message below.
Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 6.42.09 AM.png

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The rx580 has never been flashed for anything as far as I'm aware.
For your info. Some card has dual ROM, and only one of the ROM can display GOP boot screen on cMP.

In some other cases, the card shipped with a GOP that's not fully working on the cMP. The user need to flash the card with another factory ROM to make it display the boot screen.

If in doubt, you can install my pre-configured OpenCore package onto USB flash drive for quikc test.

The package has been tested can boot on the cMP and should able to show GOP boot screen by default.

If doesn't work, then highly likely you need to flash the card (of course, we can't confirm that's the root cause at this moment. e.g. Monitor wake up too slow, which makes you can't see the boot picker. Or use another port may able to see the boot picker. We can't tell yet)

Reactions: dalegribble

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
UPDATE:
I was able to complete the OpenCore Legacy Patcher using version 0.6.0 without any problems.

Unfortunately I’m still having the no boot screen problem.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
I may have to try this out. I’m going to try one more time using the installer I made.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
For your info. Some card has dual ROM, and only one of the ROM can display GOP boot screen on cMP.

In some other cases, the card shipped with a GOP that's not fully working on the cMP. The user need to flash the card with another factory ROM to make it display the boot screen.

If in doubt, you can install my pre-configured OpenCore package onto USB flash drive for quikc test.

The package has been tested can boot on the cMP and should able to show GOP boot screen by default.

If doesn't work, then highly likely you need to flash the card (of course, we can't confirm that's the root cause at this moment. e.g. Monitor wake up too slow, which makes you can't see the boot picker. Or use another port may able to see the boot picker. We can't tell yet)
I may have to try this out. I’m going to try one more time using the installer I made.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
UPDATE:
So I have successfully installed Monterey. What I did was use the the OpenCore Legacy Patcher using version 0.6.0. Then I used my old Nvidia gt120 card and was able to complete the install….

Well I have tried to swap back my sapphire RX580 8Gb but I don’t see anything on the screen. Side note I am using a 4K monitor, a LG Ultra fine ergo to be exact. Any idea what I can do to fix this?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
UPDATE:
So I have successfully installed Monterey. What I did was use the the OpenCore Legacy Patcher using version 0.6.0. Then I used my old Nvidia gt120 card and was able to complete the install….

Well I have tried to swap back my sapphire RX580 8Gb but I don’t see anything on the screen. Side note I am using a 4K monitor, a LG Ultra fine ergo to be exact. Any idea what I can do to fix this?
The GPU driver is now patched and locked for the GT120. That's why the RX580 doesn't work. You should install Monterey with the RX580 if you want to use OCLP.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
The GPU driver is now patched and locked for the GT120. That's why the RX580 doesn't work. You should install Monterey with the RX580 if you want to use OCLP.
Oh Darn
So I booted it with the RX580 and it showed the apple logo and the loading bar, but then it went black.

What do you recommend I do to reinstall it with the rx580 should I remove OpenCore first and proceed with the Install guide you provided?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Oh Darn
So I booted it with the RX580 and it showed the apple logo and the loading bar, but then it went black.

What do you recommend I do to reinstall it with the rx580 should I remove OpenCore first and proceed with the Install guide you provided?
It means the RX580 can shows boot screen. The GOP was corrcetly activated to show you the Apple logo amd loading bar.

But when the OS level GPU driver is loaded. It will take over the control from the GOP. In your case, since the GPU driver is now wrong. Therefore, the RX580 stop to display after GPU driver is loaded.

If you run OCLP again, it should allow you to un-patch the OS.

For cMP, if you have the correctly upgraded hardware, there is no need to patch any system kext at all. You may try to un-patch it, then swap in the RX580, and see if it can fix the display issue.

If not, then leave the RX580 in there, and re-install Monterey (unpatched) should be the best option. If you have to patch something (e.g. for wifi), then keep the RX580 installed, use OCLP to re-install Monterey, and apply the patch as requried.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
It means the RX580 can shows boot screen. The GOP was corrcetly activated to show you the Apple logo amd loading bar.

But when the OS level GPU driver is loaded. It will take over the control from the GOP. In your case, since the GPU driver is now wrong. Therefore, the RX580 stop to display after GPU driver is loaded.

If you run OCLP again, it should allow you to un-patch the OS.

For cMP, if you have the correctly upgraded hardware, there is no need to patch any system kext at all. You may try to un-patch it, then swap in the RX580, and see if it can fix the display issue.

If not, then leave the RX580 in there, and re-install Monterey (unpatched) should be the best option. If you have to patch something (e.g. for wifi), then keep the RX580 installed, use OCLP to re-install Monterey, and apply the patch as requried.
so I have removed open core completely and reinstalled high Sierra. I tried running the opencore legacy and still no boot screen with the rx580. How could I install Monterey and then patch as you are saying?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
so I have removed open core completely and reinstalled high Sierra. I tried running the opencore legacy and still no boot screen with the rx580. How could I install Monterey and then patch as you are saying?
What are you trying to achieve?
Why remove OpenCore, and why install High Sierra?
If all you want is just Monterey, keep OpenCore and just install Monterey. If you want to use OCLP, then use OCLP. The previous test already proved that your RX580 can display the UEFI GOP boot screen as long as OpenCore is correctly installed.

dalegribble

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2019
What are you trying to achieve?
Why remove OpenCore, and why install High Sierra?
If all you want is just Monterey, keep OpenCore and just install Monterey. If you want to use OCLP, then use OCLP. The previous test already proved that your RX580 can display the UEFI GOP boot screen as long as OpenCore is correctly installed.
I reinstalled high Sierra and removed opencore from scratch as to have a clean slate and make sure I didn’t do anything wrong.

What I want to achieve is to install Monterey and have a boot screen so I can switch between Mac and windows.

Is opencore legacy patcher different from installing opencore by itself?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I reinstalled high Sierra and removed opencore from scratch as to have a clean slate and make sure I didn’t do anything wrong.

What I want to achieve is to install Monterey and have a boot screen so I can switch between Mac and windows.

Is opencore legacy patcher different from installing opencore by itself?
OCLP is a project develop from OpenCore. It help the user to config and install OpenCore on genuine Mac in an easier way, also help old Mac users to patch some system kext to run newer macOS. But it use the same official OpenCore release.

For cMP, IMO, the best way to run Monterey is to upgrade the hardware (e.g. your RX580 is the supported hardware), then use OpenCore to install an unpatched Monterey.

If you are ok to do that, my link at post #13 has the pre-configured OpenCore for cMP. Which allow your RX580 to display boot screen.

Then you can follow the video guide in that link to mod the config plist, and install Monterey natively.

After that, you can revert the config plist to enable full GPU HWAccel, and CPU power management, etc.

The steps are more complicated than using OCLP. But I insist to push the user to learn some basic stuff, such as mount the EFI partition, locate the OpenCore files, and basic skill to mod the config.

If you are OK for that, you may try my package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.