Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Apple friends, merry Christmas, happy new year.

For those who've experienced OpenCore Legacy Patcher, is this a bug, it's stopped at this step:

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 1.45.57 PM.png

what could be the fix? I'm using a Mac that's 100% compatible with OpenCore Legacy Patcher (OCLP), ver. 0.53 the current version.

Thank you. Have a great 2023, let 2023 be ours (meaning may each's immediate goal be extraordinarily achieved to move on to the next big goal).

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Cool, thanks I deleted that macOS Ventura install, it's a bit slow on a hardisk but the Mr. Macintosh may be better.
Would this run on unsupported Macs though?

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
No, that is the official installer from Apple, it will only run on compatible computers https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213264
Are you sure about that? I have an iMac 15,1 from Late 2014 that is not supported for Ventura, but I can both download and run the InstallAssistant.pkg from the link you mentioned. That "pkg" file will run and install the Ventura install application in the /Application folder on an unsupported computer. Of course you cannot run the Ventura install application itself on an unsupported machine, you must use an OCLP version that was released for use with Ventura (latest release is now 0.5.3) and specify "Create macOS Installer" (USB installer) and then "Use an existing installer" (or a phase to that intent, can't remember exactly) when running the OCLP app for the first time. :)

Reactions: Alvin777

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Are you sure about that?
InstallAssistant.pkg just extracts Install macOS Ventura.app into Applications and, last time I checked, it didn’t have a macOS version requirement to do that.
My point was that users don’t need a hack tool to download macOS.
1. Apple - How to download macOS https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
2. Apple - softwareupdate in Terminal
softwareupdate --list-full-installers
softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer
3. Unofficial way, but links directly from Apple, https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-ventura-13-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

Regardless of the way it was downloaded, the Install macOS Ventura.app can be used to create a bootable installer for a supported Mac https://support.apple.com/HT201372 or to create a hacked installer with OCLP for unsupported Macs.

yopines

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
Hello all, I have asked around and have not received a sufficient or correct response, so here it is, will try to keep it short:
1. iMac Late 2012 with 10.8.5 installed - on this iMac I cannot download the OCLP (github Assets do not show up and downloaded app will not run on older version of Mac OS).

Q1: Is there a OCLP that will run on 10.8.5?
Q2: When trying to create an OCLP on my newer MAC (running 13.2), the OCLP App won't patch the USB disk as it detects a newer MAC and won't run the Patch. Is there a way around this?
Q3: Is there an upgrade path recommended? Can I just go from 10.8.5 to 13.2 or do I have to take some steps?

Many Thanks.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Hello all, I have asked around and have not received a sufficient or correct response, so here it is, will try to keep it short:
1. iMac Late 2012 with 10.8.5 installed - on this iMac I cannot download the OCLP (github Assets do not show up and downloaded app will not run on older version of Mac OS).

Q1: Is there a OCLP that will run on 10.8.5?
Q2: When trying to create an OCLP on my newer MAC (running 13.2), the OCLP App won't patch the USB disk as it detects a newer MAC and won't run the Patch. Is there a way around this?
Q3: Is there an upgrade path recommended? Can I just go from 10.8.5 to 13.2 or do I have to take some steps?

Many Thanks.
Option-Shift-Command-R on start up and you’ll enter internet recovery. iirc it’ll allow you to install the latest supported version of macOS which you need to do any way since it has to update firmware to enable apfs booting.
There is no reason to be running 10.8.5 and it’s just too old.

You’ll also have to change the model number of the mac you’re patching the USB stick for when making the installer on a newer Mac. That way it’ll let you do it.

(also i’d recommend installing 12.6 instead of 13.6 as you’ll have a lot less problems on that mac with Monterey compared to Ventura)

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, after much hoops through the OCPL method, I've installed Ventura (best to install it on a small separate volume APFS as a trial) but I deleted this test Ventura volume (APFS format thankfully automatically puts it back as free space that can be used right away instead of a blank volume or partition), I'll try again (still using a test volume just big enough for it to be useful with a few apps to test) after I've upgraded the main storage to NVME SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi Mac & Apple friends.

Did Apple (and by extension sir Tim Cook) just had a changed of heart (I did write a very logical email to Tim Cook or at least what people think is his email as well as their only Feedback site) and decided to expand the compatible Macs for macOS Ventura coz' now, officially, assuming it's not a glitch, the System Preferences > Software Update seems to be telling if my Mac should be able to officially upgrade to macOS Ventura?

macOS Ventura Macs Compatibility Expanded?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

torrentjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
Hello
i install successfully Ventura 13.2 on MacPro 5.1 (RX580 or HD5770) with latest OCLP but Maps don't crash but I can clic on it , bottom "continu" don't work so I can access, someone have same problem ? and how to fix it please.

Next problem the acceleration on 5770 is apply on post install but when I changed my GPU to RX 580 my Mac go slowly like no patched on HD5770. Please help. thx

Capture d’écran 2023-02-05 à 10.15.50.png

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. I've not encountered that problem yet but have you tried upgrading to Ventura officially using the Software Update?

Try to create a test volume (using Disk Utility) on the same Container, APFS format around size 33GB, install Monterey first and then boot to that volume and see if it officially allows Ventura to be upgraded via that official way (no OCLP needed).

I was surprised when Software Update suddenly displayed an official Software Update to Ventura from Monterey, I know my Mac isn't supported anymore for Ventura but Apple (I emailed them and sir Tim Cook to expand the compatible Macs, they may have listened) may have expanded the compatible Macs for Ventura (I told them not everyone can upgrade to the new Macs coz' everybody's still recovering from Covid and it'll take years to recover financially).

I hope it's not a glitch, that I can now officially upgrade to Ventura. I'm doing what I just recommended right now.

torrentjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2018
think you,
Hi. I've not encountered that problem yet but have you tried upgrading to Ventura officially using the Software Update?

Try to create a test volume (using Disk Utility) on the same Container, APFS format around size 33GB, install Monterey first and then boot to that volume and see if it officially allows Ventura to be upgraded via that official way (no OCLP needed).

I was surprised when Software Update suddenly displayed an official Software Update to Ventura from Monterey, I know my Mac isn't supported anymore for Ventura but Apple (I emailed them and sir Tim Cook to expand the compatible Macs, they may have listened) may have expanded the compatible Macs for Ventura (I told them not everyone can upgrade to the new Macs coz' everybody's still recovering from Covid and it'll take years to recover financially).

I hope it's not a glitch, that I can now officially upgrade to Ventura. I'm doing what I just recommended right now.
thx, before I had already done the update from Monterey to Ventura via the update panel but it worked halfway, the installation was never able to restart to offer me settings my RX580 was running at full speed under a black screen, I waited 15 minutes then went to sleep and 5 hours later it smelled of metallic chemistry which hurts the brain. I turned everything off and unplugged RX580. I did a clean install to test on an SSD by doing a usb key boot and I was able to install ventura via my HD5770 by applying the patch and deleting 4 kext. Later I was able to reboot on RX580 but slowdown

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, after must effort all seems well with OCLP (tested all hardware and even an extended monitor, it's working on this unsupported Mac) but whenever I boot it would say the build OCLP I'm using is not the latest, I then update it as per automatic suggestion using the OCLP app, reboot and it asks me again.

Also even though I've rebuilt and installed OpenCore again after the initial installation, it still needs the boot disk (USB flash drive), even though I've use hold Option for OpenCore to show it's Boot Manager (not on the USB but on the internal drive/main drive)- I wonder why it's not saving the boot loader (I'm guessing git's the boot loader) to the main drive?

Thank you.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Hi, after must effort all seems well with OCLP (tested all hardware and even an extended monitor, it's working on this unsupported Mac) but whenever I boot it would say the build OCLP I'm using is not the latest, I then update it as per automatic suggestion using the OCLP app, reboot and it asks me again.

Also even though I've rebuilt and installed OpenCore again after the initial installation, it still needs the boot disk (USB flash drive), even though I've use hold Option for OpenCore to show it's Boot Manager (not on the USB but on the internal drive/main drive)- I wonder why it's not saving the boot loader (I'm guessing git's the boot loader) to the main drive?

Thank you.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
When you run the OCLP app, and select Build and Install, it will show a lot of items on the console and then prompt for a write to disk. After you input your password, it will show a list of disks. You have to click on one of those choices and then click on the partition on the disk you just selected. So that's two clicks to choose the target partition. Did you do that? I suspect you only clicked on one of those clickable bars.
If it's done right, the app will prompt for a reboot.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
When you run the OCLP app, and select Build and Install, it will show a lot of items on the console and then prompt for a write to disk. After you input your password, it will show a list of disks. You have to click on one of those choices and then click on the partition on the disk you just selected. So that's two clicks to choose the target partition. Did you do that? I suspect you only clicked on one of those clickable bars.
If it's done right, the app will prompt for a reboot.
Hi, I've deleted my successful (by 97% I guess) Ventura installation on unsupported Mac, I think I'll just sell my Macs & Apple stuff soon and just work hard x25 (and smart) and buy the next Macs ( Silicon M3 God-willing with 2nm fab SOC and I hope in that SOC there's a 1TB SSD :). Although everything works and I most likely will get the bootloader to get installed in the EFI eventually, manually so it doesn't need the bootloader from the external drive, I'm not sure I'll have peace of mind, thinking the next macOS Ventura could break things even though I got to update it to the latest version 13.2 (w/ a lot of rebooting and hoops) but it's nice to try and know it can be done.

I think Ventura is more responsive but there's not that many new features that I'll really use that Monterey (which has better Systems Settings UI/UX) isn't capable. Ventura would be a must have upgrade for content creators for things like 'Desk View' using A.I. and that camera "follows" your face feature when you're in close-up A.I..

Php4u

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Has anyone else came across an upgrade or install issue with Ventura on a 2010 Mac Pro? I have been trying to upgrade or fresh install Ventura on a NVMe drive? Using OCLP 0.6.7, Monterey works fine on the SSD and the boot picker appears. However, when I try to upgrade or do a fresh install on the NVMe drive, the install seems to perform but stalls out during the initial boot process. The screen progress bar stalls at about 40%. I have tried to move the PCIe card to different slots with no success. I have reset NVRAM with negative results.

Any suggestions?

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Has anyone else came across an upgrade or install issue with Ventura on a 2010 Mac Pro? I have been trying to upgrade or fresh install Ventura on a NVMe drive? Using OCLP 0.6.7, Monterey works fine on the SSD and the boot picker appears. However, when I try to upgrade or do a fresh install on the NVMe drive, the install seems to perform but stalls out during the initial boot process. The screen progress bar stalls at about 40%. I have tried to move the PCIe card to different slots with no success. I have reset NVRAM with negative results.

Any suggestions?
Hi, it seems the 2010 Mac Pro is currently not supported on Ventura even if it's patched with OLPC. The 2010 Mac Pro seems to not have the the AVX1.0 support on its CPU: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/VENTURA-DROP.html#current-status

even if your GPU is based on AMD Polaris or Vega based.

May the OLPC create a workaround for your Mac Pro but also for the macOS Sonoma.

Reactions: Php4u

Jazzzny

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2021
Hi, it seems the 2010 Mac Pro is currently not supported on Ventura even if it's patched with OLPC. The 2010 Mac Pro seems to not have the the AVX1.0 support on its CPU: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/VENTURA-DROP.html#current-status

even if your GPU is based on AMD Polaris or Vega based.

May the OLPC create a workaround for your Mac Pro but also for the macOS Sonoma.
Dude, the page you link literally has an image specifying that the 2010 supports Ventura:
OCLP-060-Initial-Support.2c6f8db9.png

Please don't spread misinformation, you aren't helping anyone...

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
How do you use you iMac as a separate display for your Mac Studio? I might be interested in doing the same thing.
I have not tried to use my iMac as the sole display for my Mac Studio. I first set up my Mac Studio with a Samsung M7 display. I then installed OCLP on my iMac. I then was able to select the iMac as an extended display of the Samsung M7. The specs on my iMac are in my siggy.

Reactions: Php4u and Alvin777

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I have not tried to use my iMac as the sole display for my Mac Studio. I first set up my Mac Studio with a Samsung M7 display. I then installed OCLP on my iMac. I then was able to select the iMac as an extended display of the Samsung M7. The specs on my iMac are in my siggy.
How is the iMac connected to the Mac Studio or the Samsung monitor? What cable?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.