Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comptalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
I am trying to bring life bac to my Mac Mini 2012, so I purchased a new SSD drive and 16 GBs of RAM. Setup the USB to boot with OpenCore Legacy Patcher and no dice. It just hangs on the Apple logo with a quarter of the line filled and it just stops. I've reset the NVRAM, but not sure what else to do.

Any suggestions?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you holding Option at boot, so you can choose the EFI partition to load first, then continue to hold option, so you then can choose the icon for your installer?
Both of my 2012 minis do something similar, so I have learned to continue to monitor an install, so I can always jump on the Option key. Otherwise, the installer will sometimes bypass the EFI boot, and the installer will then boot incorrectly.
One other point - your mini is more than 10 years old. Be sure that part of your "resuscitation" is replacing the battery, which requires pulling the logic board. The battery is on the bottom side of the logic board. (It takes a BR-2032). A dead, or almost dead battery can cause unusual symptoms, and a fresh battery may be part of your solution.

Reactions: comptalk

comptalk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2010
Yep, I am holding the option, and I select EFI boot. It sometimes starts or sometimes shows the kernel panic screen (attached), then goes to a black Apple loading and freezes (attached). I can certainly replace the CMOS battery, as I have them hear. Just not sure what else it could be.

Attachments

• what-makes-macbook-get-stuck-on-the-apple-logo.png
    what-makes-macbook-get-stuck-on-the-apple-logo.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 30
  • OldKernelPanic-58b8a9933df78c353ce508dd.jpeg
    OldKernelPanic-58b8a9933df78c353ce508dd.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 29
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.