Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
Hi, I see the above has been mentioned in at least one other thread, but with no resolution.

I have installed OCLP on an iMac 11.2 with Monterey, apparently successfully. However, when viewing YouTube videos the display will start going haywire and I will need to reboot to get things back in order.

Has anyone else had this experience on a similar model? Thanks in advance for any help.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi, I see the above has been mentioned in at least one other thread, but with no resolution.

I have installed OCLP on an iMac 11.2 with Monterey, apparently successfully. However, when viewing YouTube videos the display will start going haywire and I will need to reboot to get things back in order.

Has anyone else had this experience on a similar model? Thanks in advance for any help.
Which browser…and did you test others?

Does it do this on a standard YouTube page or does the video have to be full-screen?

mdnyc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
I have the same machine, but did not test YouTube. I will tonight. I did repatch the core using beta non-metal drivers to fix the transparency issues. I did also upgrade the RAM to 16 GB which helps. I did not change the hard drive to an SSD.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
I did repatch the core using beta non-metal drivers to fix the transparency issues.
Ah, I think I need to do that. Sorry to sound so massively iggorant (I really am), but can you direct me to those? I had assumed that they would be bundled with the OCLP release (0.6.1), but if I need to install those separately I'll do that.

As for adding an SSD, do keep that in mind for the future as it really does make a massive difference. The mac I use as a daily driver, a 2012 27" iMac, has an SSD that I mounted externally to avoid taking off the screen; it's already been hacked away at by someone and I'm afraid it will completely fall apart if I have a go at it myself lol. But runs like a rocket, thanks to the USB ports being 3.0.

Thanks!

mdnyc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
I found it in settings or options and use the post install patch. If you need to to walk you through the steps I can specifically look them up.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
Which browser…and did you test others?

Does it do this on a standard YouTube page or does the video have to be full-screen?
I actually just ran across an article that notes that the
I found it in settings or options and use the post install patch. If you need to to walk you through the steps I can specifically look them up.
That would be extremely helpful as I've done quite a bit of Googling with no conclusive or clear answer. I'm sure I've seen it before and not known what I've been looking at lol.

Thank you so much for taking the time.

mdnyc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
Go to settings- non-Metal Settings - I enabled the Beta Blur and Dark Menu Bar.

I tested YouTube also and it plays.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
That's fantastic, and yes I'd already seen those, but wasn't sure if I should apply them.

Now my dim brain really shows itself. So, after ticking those boxes, I assume that I'll have to do the Build and Install OpenCore button and have that applied to the EFI partition?

Thanks yet again. You'd never think I'd been a computer tech for thirty years, eh?

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
That's fantastic, and yes I'd already seen those, but wasn't sure if I should apply them.

Now my dim brain really shows itself. So, after ticking those boxes, I assume that I'll have to do the Build and Install OpenCore button and have that applied to the EFI partition?

Thanks yet again. You'd never think I'd been a computer tech for thirty years, eh?

Yeah, that's the process of OCLP, you need to generate the EFI and write it to the Mac OS disk to make it effective from the next reboot.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
Thanks, I'll give that a go on the morrow as the machine is at my other office.

If that works out it may well become my daily driver at work, replacing a PC.

mdnyc

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2023
Of course! The only thing I am having trouble with is using this for Airplay 2. I cannot figure out if it can be emulated. There’s copy protection on also all apps these days which prevents it from being shared or displayed without it.

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
Ah yes, Airplay. My 2012 iMac works fine with it, but I'll have to check if it works tomorrow with the 11.2 beastie. It's a cool feature and I was quite chuffed that it worked as well as it did on mine lol.

For the 2012, I'd only want to be able to add a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle as 4.0 is needed for that mouse handoff feature, forget what it's called. Apparently it's theoretically possible with my 2012, but it needs to be inserted in a USB 2.0 slot, and all of the slots are 3.0. Sigh, etc.

Iridasi

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2023
Sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with OCLP on your iMac. It's possible that OCLP is not fully compatible with the Monterey operating system yet, which could be causing the issues you're seeing.
One thing you can try is to completely uninstall OCLP and see if the issue still occurs when viewing YouTube videos. If the issue goes away after uninstalling OCLP, then it's likely that OCLP was causing the issue.
If the issue persists even after uninstalling OCLP, then it's possible that there is another underlying issue with your system or with the way YouTube is being displayed. You may want to try updating your graphics drivers or contacting Apple support for further assistance.
Additionally, you could try using an alternative browser or disabling any browser extensions you have installed to see if that helps resolve the issue.
I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• Haha
Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
This is most weird, I have an iMac 11,2, the very same model, with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD dual booting Mojave and Ventura.
On Ventura I get no glitches or other faults when playing YouTube video full screen using either Firefox or Safari.

I can only assume that OCLP sorted out the graphics very well by itself in my case as I installed exactly as directed; is there any testing that I can do to establish help and what differences we have, bearing in mind that I'm one OS ahead?

Cheers :)

Hugh

piwikiwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
Hi there, I’m just slowly getting into the Opencore experience. The amount of documentation online is somewhat bewildering.
Apparently my good old iMac 11,2 is now compatible, which is great because of how usable it has remained after installing an SSD.
It’s not clear to me if I need to replace any hardware to be able to use this, previously it seemed a GPU modification was required. Is that no longer the case? Mine has the ATI HD4670 256mb GPU.
Any tips would be appreciate.

thanks.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I have exactly the same iMac, i3, 3.06, 21.5", dual booting Mojave and Ventura. It has the max. 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD, and I have had zero problems with OpenCore.

Hugh

piwikiwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
I have exactly the same iMac, i3, 3.06, 21.5", dual booting Mojave and Ventura. It has the max. 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD, and I have had zero problems with OpenCore.

Hugh
Wow, thanks!

So: no GPU replacement or modification? That’s great 😃

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Wow, thanks!

So: no GPU replacement or modification? That’s great 😃
It really depends on how quickly you like things to happen - it’s obviously going to be slower than an M2 Mac, but I was pleasantly surprised how well Ventura runs, with just a few screen flickers that I can ignore. YouTube seems to work fine by the way.

Hugh

piwikiwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2011
A slightly off-topic update (possibly useful for other iMac users): iMac 11.2 SSD AMD4670/256Mb running OCLP 0.6.7 Ventura really well.

Only real gripe for me is most video editing software will not run, most notably the latest iMovie version. Older version (10.1.12?) mostly works but requires workarounds.

Conclusion: 13 year old iMac running Ventura very smoothly for most tasks. 😃

Reactions: Hughmac

Dennis Paul Eldridge

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 28, 2020
Bermuda
And I have indeed decided to give Ventura another go. The previous times I've attempted to do so has not worked for some reason, but with OCPL now much advanced, as well as Ventura, I'm willing to give it a try :)

tyai

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2024
Hello all

I'm coming back to you because I have a problem.

I have a 2009 iMac
10,1"27" model
1To mechanical disk (replaced by a 500go ssd)
12go ram 1067
graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 Mo,
processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I tried to install sonoma,ventura,monterey and big sur with open core Legacy last version 1.3 all installation goes correctly boot same post Install same but when I launch a YouTube video in full screen after a few minutes by switching back to window mode I get gliche (see images attached),

I tested my memory: Nickel test, tested my graphics card: nickel, tested my hard disk: not really in shape, but I changed it for an ssd, thinking that the problem could be nothing.
I said to myself that it could come from the fact that I created the key on a MacBook Pro M1
I then recreated the key with my iMac 2010 21".
same configuration except for the processor which is an I3
I finally managed to reinstall Catalina with dosdude1's patch
but I don't understand why with core Legacy nothing works, whereas on my mac 2010 sonoma runs perfectly.
I wonder if this isn't due to the 13.1 update.
you'll find the images of the famous glich if you have an idea I'll take it.
Sincerely

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 21
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.