Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I want to try out MacOS 11 Big Sur on my mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro 9,2, but on an external USB hard drive.
I've previously installed MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina on that external drive (so I can try it out before commiting to instaling it on the computer's internal SSD).
Now I've read about the possibility to even use unsupported MacOS versions with the help of the OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I've followed the instructions for downloading and creating the installer, but I'm confused about the "Building and installing OpenCore" section.
I have 3 drives:

Drive #1: Internal Mac 2TB SSD (currently with MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, my apps and files). I don't want to mess up this drive!
Drive #2: External 2.5" USB-3 500GB hard drive (For testing. Currently holds a bootable MacOS 10.15.7 Catalina. I'm trying to install/upgrade this drive to MacOS 11. Not a huge problem if this drive gets messed up)
Drive #3: USB-3 32MB flash drive (this is where the patcher so far has downloaded the MacOS 11 Big Sur installer to)

Which drive should I select for installing Opencore to?
I've use drive#2 (external USB) as the startup drive, and this is also where I want to install Big Sur to. Can I upgrade it from MacOS 10.15 Catalina, or do I have to make a clean install of Big Sur?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.