Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alecmac1501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
after formating usb with ( mac os extended journaled ) and scheme with ( Guid patition map ) and big sur installer downloaded , I want to select the usb to create macos usb installer but I get ( NO DISKS FOUND )

PS: I tried many usb's
I read time ago that I have to chang usb name to something but I forgot it

any help?

alecmac1501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
thank you for replay, but I know this tutorial 100% but when I want to choose the usb he does not see usb and get NO DISKS FOUND , while usb is shown up in desktop and in the disk utility !!!

alecmac1501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
I am sure that I have to change the usb name to something like ( MacOS X Base System or ........ ) something like that.
it is very simple and I used it in the past before many times with succes but I forgot it 😔😔😔

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Did OCLP app format your USB or did you? If you did format, you did it wrong.

Reactions: K two

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There would be no requirement to rename your USB drive. (the MacOS Base System name is used by the recovery system, so, in any case, would not be one that you would choose.)
Of course, you can name a drive that you have erased -- anything you like. The task of making the bootable USB installer will name it again, so whatever name you choose will ultimately be replaced. And, you can always name it something else, after you create the bootable installer. (I use a name on bootable installers made of special characters and accents, so I have no confusion about the drive when it appears in the middle of some other drives that might have multiple mounted partitions - just something that I do

But, when you have erased the drive, try ejecting that new disk after the format is complete, unplug it from your Mac, then reinsert for a fresh mount. That should help you.

alecmac1501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
( Bigwaff ) I work more than 20 years in pc and macs repaire and installation and I know how to formate disks in windows and in mac.
( DeltaMac ) I have to change usb name ONLY to be shown up in OCLP to choos it , but when the progress begin the name will ultimately be replaced again with success..

Reactions: DeltaMac

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Yeah, there is some weirdness going in. I have a Mac Mini 7,1 that does something like this. I cannot get the USB drive with the installer to appear in the boot picker. In fact, I have a hard time getting the boot picker to work. I am wondering if it is a USB power issue or maybe some kind of conflict with another usb device or maybe the EFI and/or firmware is messed up.

alecmac1501

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2024
I AM IN THE FIRST STEP :in my case I cannot put the big sur installer app or any other system on the usb because OCLP cannot see the correct formated usb and give ( NO DISKS FOUND ) , while usb is shown up in desktop and in the disk utility !!!

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Is your USB disk partitioned? OCLP will not install on a partition. You must use the installer in the bundle to install to a partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.