Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxssica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
Hi,

I successfully downloaded and installed Opencore patcher for Monterey OS.

However, I am unable to boot it my iMac (mid 2011) without the USB - it just runs in a restart loop.

I did the download with the hope that I could finally use my iMac as an external display, as it is not supported on this model along with my MacBook M1.

When I go to the display < settings, it comes up with this image. My MacBook cannot find the computer and thunderbolt hasn't worked so far.

Not done anything like this before so new to it.

Is there anything else I can do?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 15.30.31.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 15.30.31.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 243

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
One of the nice features in Monterey is Airplay to Mac. If your MacBook is also running Monterey, then you can try to use Airplay to Mac as a way to use your 2011 iMac as a display. It runs over your LAN and the 2011 has a QHD display so performance should be decent for office work or videos.

There are a few other ways to do this if you can't use Airplay to Mac.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi,

However, I am unable to boot it my iMac (mid 2011) without the USB - it just runs in a restart loop.

I did the download with the hope that I could finally use my iMac as an external display, as it is not supported on this model along with my MacBook M1.

When I go to the display < settings, it comes up with this image. My MacBook cannot find the computer and thunderbolt hasn't worked so far.

Apple Silicon Macs don’t support connecting to iMacs in Target Display Mode anyway, so regardless of what OS you‘re running on the iMac, this won’t work.
From Apple’s support document on TDM:
  • The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hi,

Easy, convert your iMac 2011 to a real display.
25$ for the basic kit (1 HDMI, 1 VGA port)
75$ for the luxury kit (1HDMI, 1DP, 1USB-C)
plus some basic skills to open the imac and plug in jacks.

Reactions: The_Croupier
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.