Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZNDK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2017
Japan
I installed Monterery using the OpenCore Legacy Patcher 5.1 on a MacBook Pro 2012 (non-retina) that had served its original purpose.
I used that Mac (macOS 12.6.1) for a few days and was presented with the macOS 12.6.1 software update again. I applied that updater with some doubts, and the user environment became as if I were a new user, the graphic display became a few shades of color representation, and the operating speed became slow. I reinstalled macOS 12.6.1 from a USB stick and it was back to the way it was before. At that time I could not reinstall macOS in recovery mode.
I'm also using OpenCore on my Mac Pro, but I'm afraid if this happens on my Mac Pro as well. I use OpenCore on my Mac Pro, but I would be afraid if this also happens on my Mac Pro. I have not yet had this behavior on my Mac Pro.

What was the cause of this?

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Did you install the post-install root patches?

if you missed that step on your model, the machine will be painfully slow, because you have no graphics acceleration.
The steps to make OCLP work successfully on your MacBook are documented clearly, step-by-step on the OCLP website. I hope that you’ve read that, and followed it step-by-step, carefully.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Every single time after you update or install Monterey or above on a 2012 MacBook Pro, you have to Check to make sure the root patches are installed.

TimmuJapan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Actually, using the latest versions of OCLP it should be throwing up a dialog telling you that you should do this.
Yeah, I think that you have to at least open the app to get the dialogue box to pop up, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.