Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
Hello Mac users..I have a question..more like a confusion..I've been reading about Opencore and OCLP, that has created a confusion whether I should have installed open core instead of OCLP. On my Mac Pro 5.1 I have installed Monterey 12.7.3 and OCLP 1.3.0 on an PCIe NVMe m2 SSD. I have a second NVMe ssd installed and I wanted to install windows 11 on it. There are so many tutorial on YouTube but I see almost everybody booting to Opencore first before doing any installation and they all warn about damaging your Mac is not doing the installation from OC first. Should I partition my drive and install OC??? or what am I missing here

Last edited:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
When you have a loose piece of wooden fitting in your yard, you might consider putting a nail in to secure it back.

You can use a hammer or a nail gun or even a rock lying around to put the nail in. Regardless of what you used, you end up with a nail in the wooden fitting and not what you used to put it in.

OpenCore is the nail and the OCLP is a nail gun. For some strange reason though, people effectively describe the nail put in usimg a hammer etc as a nail but that put in using a nail gun as them having put a nail gun into the wood and think "perhaps I need a nail into my loose fitting instead"

The confusion is caused by all those videos and those on the forums that talk about "installing OCLP" when they should say "Using OCLP to install OpenCore"

MacINCheez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2024
When you have a loose piece of wooden fitting in your yard, you might consider putting a nail in to secure it back.

You can use a hammer or a nail gun or even a rock lying around to put the nail in. Regardless of what you used, you end up with a nail in the wooden fitting and not what you used to put it in.

OpenCore is the nail and the OCLP is a nail gun. For some strange reason though, people effectively describe the nail put in usimg a hammer etc as a nail but that put in using a nail gun as them having put a nail gun into the wood and think "perhaps I need a nail into my loose fitting instead"

The confusion is caused by all those videos and those on the forums that talk about "installing OCLP" when they should say "Using OCLP to install OpenCore"
Aha ! now my friend you have just put the nail in the coffin ! So I did install OpenCore after all. Thank you !

Reactions: Dayo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.