Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osxster

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
Hello,

Attempting to create an OpenCore patcher to install Monterey on my xServe. I'm only posting it here in this sub as I think it might get more views, plus this error is not specific to xServe.

When creating the install media from both a Mac running Monterey as well as a Mac mini running High Sierra, I get this:

Failed to create macOS installer

Output: Started erase on disk2
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Waiting for partitions to activate
Formatting disk2s2 as Mac OS Extended with name OCLP-Installer
Initialized /dev/rdisk2s2 as a 14 GB case-insensitive HFS Plus volume
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk2
Making disk bootable...

Error: 2022-06-20 13:48:40.947 OCLP-Helper[38292:3804862] Starting...
Erasing disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 30%... 100%
Failed to extract AssetData/boot/Firmware/Manifests/InstallerBoot/* from update bundle
The bless of the installer disk failed.
2022-06-20 13:51:42.341 OCLP-Helper[38292:3804862] Done

I can't post an issue on the GitHub for OpenCore, so I figured I'd post it here. Anyone know how to fix this?

O.

quattro4ever

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2019
Poland
you've probably downloaded version 12.4 (21F2092)
try version 12.4 (21F79)
21F2092 is a update for the latest M2 computers

just checked, problem persists:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 10.14.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-24 at 10.14.09.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,703
Last edited:

rajhlinux

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2020
I'm having the same issues. I originally downloaded "21F2092" and got the same error like OP, so I manually downloaded the 21F79 version, but for some reason Open Core sees it as "21F71" (the "9" being replaced with a "1"), which is odd, and got the same error like OP again...

I am going to try 12.3 version. I also tried installing using the terminal method "createinstallmedia" and also got the same error... I think Apple is now providing 21F71 instead of 21F79 or maybe something is being conflicted with cache storage and needs to be deleted to completely remove 21F2092 from the system.

slawek1988

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2022
I'm having the same issues. I originally downloaded "21F2092" and got the same error like OP, so I manually downloaded the 21F79 version, but for some reason Open Core sees it as "21F71" (the "9" being replaced with a "1"), which is odd, and got the same error like OP again...

I am going to try 12.3 version. I also tried installing using the terminal method "createinstallmedia" and also got the same error... I think Apple is now providing 21F71 instead of 21F79 or maybe something is being conflicted with cache storage and needs to be deleted to completely remove 21F2092 from the system.
change the name of installation Monterey to any in application folder, then try again using terminal to create boot usb.

createinstallmedia​

sudo /Applications/[any_name_of_instalation_monterey].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

it works for me.

williamthe5thc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
change the name of installation Monterey to any in application folder, then try again using terminal to create boot usb.

createinstallmedia​

sudo /Applications/[any_name_of_instalation_monterey].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

it works for me.
worked for me too! took a while, and I had to erase and format it first but this helped

Reactions: optimus_prime00

Pedrito

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022

createinstallmedia​

it works for me.
Hi,

I'd be really grateful if you could give a bit more detail on what I need to do here. I'm OK with PC but pretty novice when it comes to Mac - and, like OP, I'm attempting to create an OpenCore patcher to install Monterey (on someone else's Mac). I got exactly the same error message as OP. Can you give me a step-by-step on how to get from error message to functioning OpenCore patcher?

Many thanks.

williamthe5thc

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Hi,

I'd be really grateful if you could give a bit more detail on what I need to do here. I'm OK with PC but pretty novice when it comes to Mac - and, like OP, I'm attempting to create an OpenCore patcher to install Monterey (on someone else's Mac). I got exactly the same error message as OP. Can you give me a step-by-step on how to get from error message to functioning OpenCore patcher?

Many thanks.
I probably messed up a bit here but here's a rudimentary steps I used to get it to work, it may or may not work.
1. Erase the USB disk and have it formatted into being used by Mac (Maos journaled or something)
2. change the name of the install to LITERALLY ANYTHING YOU WANT (just use it later)
3. make note of what the install is now named.
4. open terminal
5. find the volume that the USB disk is on
6. make note of what volume the usb disk is on
7. paste in "sudo /Applications/[Put the name here without the brackets].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[this the volume from step 5] "
8. enter in password if asked
9. say you are okay erasing volume
you should get something like this:
1657909339263.png

congrats. now continue from their (open core) page on what to do.

Pedrito

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2022
I probably messed up a bit here but here's a rudimentary steps I used to get it to work, it may or may not work.
1. Erase the USB disk and have it formatted into being used by Mac (Maos journaled or something)
2. change the name of the install to LITERALLY ANYTHING YOU WANT (just use it later)
3. make note of what the install is now named.
4. open terminal
5. find the volume that the USB disk is on
6. make note of what volume the usb disk is on
7. paste in "sudo /Applications/[Put the name here without the brackets].app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/[this the volume from step 5] "
8. enter in password if asked
9. say you are okay erasing volume
you should get something like this:
View attachment 2030236
congrats. now continue from their (open core) page on what to do.
Thank you very much @williamthe5thc for the very quick help. This worked.

Jdawg4

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2022
this is an OCP error not related, i don’t think, to the ones posted previously.

so i’m trying to install monterey with the latest version of Monterey and OCP on catalina, so i’m upgrading from Catalina to monterey.

i follow the directions in OCP, and i build OpenCore onto the USB disk. i then reboot the mac holding down the option key and select “Install Monterey.” then i get a prohibitory sign. (That’ the circle with the slash running through it right?) I”m blind so aam not sure.

that makes sense cause technically the mac i’m running this on, a mid-2012 MacBook pro), isn’t compatible. how do i fix this?

Should I have built OpenCore onto the internal SSD instead of the USB? Didn’t try that option… seems like that’s the only one left.

Thanks!

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
this is an OCP error not related, i don’t think, to the ones posted previously.

so i’m trying to install monterey with the latest version of Monterey and OCP on catalina, so i’m upgrading from Catalina to monterey.

i follow the directions in OCP, and i build OpenCore onto the USB disk. i then reboot the mac holding down the option key and select “Install Monterey.” then i get a prohibitory sign. (That’ the circle with the slash running through it right?) I”m blind so aam not sure.

that makes sense cause technically the mac i’m running this on, a mid-2012 MacBook pro), isn’t compatible. how do i fix this?

Should I have built OpenCore onto the internal SSD instead of the USB? Didn’t try that option… seems like that’s the only one left.

Thanks!
have you tried to install an older os than monterey?

hanspeter

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2023
just registered to share what solved the issue for me since I have been digging all across the internet to find a solution for the error message and did not imagine what would solve it...simply:

TRY A DIFFERENT USB STICK.

I've tried to install everything from Opencore on two different Intenso USB flash drives - one 16GB and one 64GB, giving me the same error messages driving me crazy. I was ready to throw everything away, until I thought about my other flash stick (which I use to create live Windows USB versions...different story) - specifically the "Transcend 128GB JetFlash 700" (actually all flash drives from them) worked for me - installing, flashing, booting - right from the start.

so if you want to give it a last chance - try a different stick/brand - it might solve all your problems - it solved definitely mine

Reactions: redAPPLE

Ecol

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
I've tried all the methods you've provided, including changing the name of the installation and using Terminal to create the bootable USB drive. I also attempted to change the USB drive, but it's still not working for me. Can you please provide further assistance?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 9.55.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 9.55.26 PM.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 646
  • Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 10.04.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 10.04.47 PM.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 340

Ecol

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
worked for me too! took a while, and I had to erase and format it first but this helped
I've tried all the methods you've provided, including changing the name of the installation and using Terminal to create the bootable USB drive. I also attempted to change the USB drive, but it's still not working for me. Can you please provide further assistance?

Attachments

34.2 KB · Views: 190

Ecol

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023

createinstallmedia​

it works for me.

Attachments

34.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 9.55.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 9.55.26 PM.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 147

Ecol

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Now I know the root cause of this benign error I have been experiencing. It's because I upgraded my OpenCore patcher, and I want to use macOS I downloaded with the old OpenCore patcher. I noticed that when I downgraded the OpenCore, I was able to create a bootable USB drive.

Reactions: ediflorianus

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
So the problems are persisting, because I only have 1x15.5gb usb tumb drive, now I get on 14.6.06 mojave(that I managed to install perfectly) Error Failed in creating sonoma macOS usb installer... Output started erase disk1,creating part map,formating disk1s2 as a 14gb case sensitive hfs plus volume, finish then error opencorepatcher.....OCPL volume is not large enough for install media... aditional 392.4mb needed.
I don't understand how this is because on Yosemite I could create the media, but because I needed something higher for sodoma 14.3(23D52) 13.43gb vs.19.3.01 to start installing, I put Mojave on the usb stick ,previously occupied by the pre-preped sodoma installer...
I can't create a disk from terminal because I have no pass and it won't let me log to my user or root...

I am kind of stuck... is it possible to create the installer media from windows machine ?or maybe a g5?I tried from 10.6 macbook poly however the app needs Yosemite at least...to create the media...
I miss the good old days, you burned the Iso, plugged into DVD-RW and started the installer ,up to 10.8 lion everything was fine.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
So the problems are persisting, because I only have 1x15.5gb usb tumb drive, now I get on 14.6.06 mojave(that I managed to install perfectly) Error Failed in creating sonoma macOS usb installer... Output started erase disk1,creating part map,formating disk1s2 as a 14gb case sensitive hfs plus volume, finish then error opencorepatcher.....OCPL volume is not large enough for install media... aditional 392.4mb needed.
I don't understand how this is because on Yosemite I could create the media, but because I needed something higher for sodoma 14.3(23D52) 13.43gb vs.19.3.01 to start installing, I put Mojave on the usb stick ,previously occupied by the pre-preped sodoma installer...
I can't create a disk from terminal because I have no pass and it won't let me log to my user or root...

I am kind of stuck... is it possible to create the installer media from windows machine ?or maybe a g5?I tried from 10.6 macbook poly however the app needs Yosemite at least...to create the media...
I miss the good old days, you burned the Iso, plugged into DVD-RW and started the installer ,up to 10.8 lion everything was fine.

You need a bigger USB key, Sonoma installer is the biggest installer ever released by Apple (14.3 is a 13.40GB file to download, bigger after createinstallmedia expands it).

ediflorianus

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
ok, I understand that , what I don't understand why could I make the installer on the same usb key off Yosemite , and won't let me make it on Mojave? what's going on?

ChrisTinaBruce

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
San Diego, CA
I have a 128 GB USB and still getting not enough room error.

I tried the terminal approach but says no:

sudo /Applications/Install macOS Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled 2

sudo: /Applications/Install: command not found

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's a much easier/faster way to correctly make the terminal commands... You are missing some of the "escapes"(back-slashes) in the command.
Yours will work if you change it to look like this:
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sonoma.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled\ 2
And, the command is much easier to enter correctly when you drag and drop the actual createinstallmedia command, and also drag and drop the destination drive where you will be copying all the installer files. You can avoid almost all spelling errors, and almost completely avoid the need to backspace/retype to get the command right the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.