Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khyooz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Hello all, just upgraded the hardware in my older macbook 2012, im trying to get opencore patcher to run but i get the following message:

"You can’t use this version of the application “OpenCore-Patcher” with this version of OS X. You have OS X 10.8.5. The application requires OS X 10.10 or later."

ive tried the 5.0 versions and above as well as the 4.1, should i go into an older opencore patcher? Will an older version of opencore give me an OS older than say monterrey? if so do i just have to do second install once the system is at an OS higher than 10.10?

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 231.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

maminyana

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
You have to upgrade your macbook to the last official version. After that you'll be able to use opencore legacy patcher.
First backup your disk, and then just go to system preferences and upgrade to Catalina.

ahuvldn

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2023
But what if you cannot update and are running the latest update available to you and it's older than 10.10...

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
You need a High Sierra or or later to install the patch or pre-installer.
updating the firmware is very important as well!
that tells the MacBook Pro, "hey I'm Monterey let me In"
then you can proceed to install OCLP which is Kinda easy buy need 3 loops or more.

there are great videos on YouTube that explains this in detail.
I recommend MrMachintosh's one explains big sur

personally I went back to Catalina just today from Montereys on my MacBook Pro 2012 I7
nothing was working bluetooth-wise and appleTV wise and I don't need the 2022 security updates.

Sir_Macs_A_Lot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2020
You need a High Sierra or or later to install the patch or pre-installer.
updating the firmware is very important as well!
that tells the MacBook Pro, "hey I'm Monterey let me In"
then you can proceed to install OCLP which is Kinda easy buy need 3 loops or more.

there are great videos on YouTube that explains this in detail.
I recommend MrMachintosh's one explains big sur

personally I went back to Catalina just today from Montereys on my MacBook Pro 2012 I7
nothing was working bluetooth-wise and appleTV wise and I don't need the 2022 security updates.
Sorry to hear that. I was about to update my 2012 MBP to either Big Sur or Monterey, as well…but if things like Bluetooth are unreliable, I’ll need to rethink this.

Reactions: MBAir2010

fedeforos

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Hi, all. Newbie here with a help request.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this help request, by the way. Should I start a new thread or this is OK?

I am trying to update a friend's MBP9,2 to bring it to a more recent OS. I've browsed around (OCLP patcher, etc.), but scared about the whole process. Any quick reference to a specific thread, post, page, video, instructions... would be much appreciated.

If you'd give me a piece of advice regarding up to which version I should try to update, double thanks! She is not looking for the most recent OS working in her machine, but only a more modern OS running well in it, the most responsive considering her hardware. (She specifically claims dropbox no longer works for her, and it seems to be caused by her OSX Yosemite 10.10.5). Open to your kind advice or suggestions on this, please.

Once I get a starting point (thread, post, video...) I'll do my best to study it and work on my own, so as not to bother you unnecessarily.

A couple of pics follow of the system affected.

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• photo_2023-04-20_11-45-22.jpg
    photo_2023-04-20_11-45-22.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

maminyana

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Hi, all. Newbie here with a help request.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this help request, by the way. Should I start a new thread or this is OK?

I am trying to update a friend's MBP9,2 to bring it to a more recent OS. I've browsed around (OCLP patcher, etc.), but scared about the whole process. Any quick reference to a specific thread, post, page, video, instructions... would be much appreciated.

If you'd give me a piece of advice regarding up to which version I should try to update, double thanks! She is not looking for the most recent OS working in her machine, but only a more modern OS running well in it, the most responsive considering her hardware. (She specifically claims dropbox no longer works for her, and it seems to be caused by her OSX Yosemite 10.10.5). Open to your kind advice or suggestions on this, please.

Once I get a starting point (thread, post, video...) I'll do my best to study it and work on my own, so as not to bother you unnecessarily.

A couple of pics follow of the system affected.

Thank you all in advance!
First of all you have to update to Catalina (MACOS 10.15.x) , the latest OS supported for your mac. Here you have the compatible OS list: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

After that is possible to update to the latest OSX, Ventura, with the OpenCore Legacy Patcher. You have tutorials in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Macintosh

fedeforos

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
First of all you have to update to Catalina (MACOS 10.15.x) , the latest OS supported for your mac. Here you have the compatible OS list: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

After that is possible to update to the latest OSX, Ventura, with the OpenCore Legacy Patcher. You have tutorials in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Macintosh
Thank you, maminyana. I had read your previous post in this thread, as well as the one by MBAir2010 referring to "MrMachintosh" (sic) (and also, specifically, his going back to Catalina). Will try to follow the steps in the video, although in the end may actually stay in Catalina (since my friend probably needs not upgrading any further than that).

Again, many thanks.

P.S. I will start a thread just asking which one would be the most responsive OS for this particular machine MBP9,2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.