Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JannisLag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2023
Hey,
I just wanted to upgrade my 12.1 iMac from High Sierra to Monterey or Ventura with the Open Core Legacy Patcher. But everytime I start the program I run into a kind of error saying that I'm booting from a false configuration. But in fact I´ve never run in on my system before. What can I do now? I`ve added a picture of the message in the Post.
Thanks and best!
Jannis

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 00.37.01.png

madmanalphonsus77

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023
Same. Checked the build documentation and there’s no reference to 8,1. So I can’t see where the application is getting that reference from. Will keep digging. Might try an older version of the patcher to see if that works

John90

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Switzerland
Same here. As a workaround I built an EFI config in the GUI, wrote it to a USB stick, rebooted as suggested holding down option, selected the OCLP EFI booter, then my regular OS partition from the next menu. I could then run OCLP under my old OS

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Hey,
I just wanted to upgrade my 12.1 iMac from High Sierra to Monterey or Ventura with the Open Core Legacy Patcher. But everytime I start the program I run into a kind of error saying that I'm booting from a false configuration. But in fact I´ve never run in on my system before. What can I do now? I`ve added a picture of the message in the Post.
Thanks and best!
Jannis

View attachment 2216224

False ≠ Unsupported

Did you modify any options under 'Settings'?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would suggest your Open Core Patcher app is reporting that it detects an EFI boot partition that is configured with an OpenCore install, and for a different model. Likely a false detection. Probably something is "out of whack" on your EFI partition.
If you are wanting to install Monterey or Ventura using the OCLP, then you could simply move ahead with that upgrade install.
If you just want to clear that error, before going ahead with your upgrade, you could choose the "Build and Install OpenCore", which would choose the correct Mac model, and update the EFI partition with that information.
BUT, I would suggest that you should now set up a bootable macOS installer, for the macOS version that you want to use for the upgrade. Follow the intructions to make that bootable installer under OCLP. Boot to that installer. You will need to hold the Option key, and choose the EFI boot partition on the installer, which will then direct you to the actual bootable installer. (The Option boot choosing the EFI first, is your key for booting to the installer, as your Mac won't boot without choosing the EFI partition first. You will see how that works when you do your upgrade install :cool:

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I had the same thing happen when I used a USB flash drive that had an older version and configuration of OCLP on it (Macbook Air) on my MBP. I had to wipe the flash drive completely and rebuild/reinstall OCLP, as just overwriting the old configuration didn't work for some odd reason. Just my experience...

John90

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Switzerland
I would suggest your Open Core Patcher app is reporting that it detects an EFI boot partition that is configured with an OpenCore install, and for a different model. Likely a false detection. Probably something is "out of whack" on your EFI partition.
If you are wanting to install Monterey or Ventura using the OCLP, then you could simply move ahead with that upgrade install.
If you just want to clear that error, before going ahead with your upgrade, you could choose the "Build and Install OpenCore", which would choose the correct Mac model, and update the EFI partition with that information.
BUT, I would suggest that you should now set up a bootable macOS installer, for the macOS version that you want to use for the upgrade. Follow the intructions to make that bootable installer under OCLP. Boot to that installer. You will need to hold the Option key, and choose the EFI boot partition on the installer, which will then direct you to the actual bootable installer. (The Option boot choosing the EFI first, is your key for booting to the installer, as your Mac won't boot without choosing the EFI partition first. You will see how that works when you do your upgrade install :cool:
Edit: In my case it seems I had in fact written an OpenCore config for a different model to my drive by mistake, without realising it. At first I thought my Linux partition might be to blame. Once you experience this looping, you can't change any settings or write a USB install image until you have updated the EFI partition.

Madr

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2020
Same here. As a workaround I built an EFI config in the GUI, wrote it to a USB stick, rebooted as suggested holding down option, selected the OCLP EFI booter, then my regular OS partition from the next menu. I could then run OCLP under my old OS
This works. I had used an old sierra clover install previous. Thanks!

kcslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2023
Edit: In my case it seems I had in fact written an OpenCore config for a different model to my drive by mistake, without realising it. At first I thought my Linux partition might be to blame. Once you experience this looping, you can't change any settings or write a USB install image until you have updated the EFI partition.

Hi John,

I am using BigSur, I would like to get rid of error & redo the whole steps.
Am I right to say this is what I should do

Create a bootable USB BigSur
Press Option key to boot up from the bootable USB
Download & install OCLP & redo the whole

I don't really understand this part.

You will need to hold the Option key, and choose the EFI boot partition on the installer, which will then direct you to the actual bootable installer. (The Option boot choosing the EFI first, is your key for booting to the installer, as your Mac won't boot without choosing the EFI partition first. You will see how that works when you do your upgrade install

Could you elaborate further.

Your help is most appreciated

John90

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2023
Switzerland
Create the bootable USB, boot using it, run OCLP from whatever system you manage to boot, write the config using OCLP to the drive/partition causing the error to appear.

That paragraph starting "You will need to hold the Option key" is not something I wrote.

kcslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2023
Create the bootable USB, boot using it, run OCLP from whatever system you manage to boot, write the config using OCLP to the drive/partition causing the error to appear.

That paragraph starting "You will need to hold the Option key" is not something I wrote.
Thanks John, I managed to get rid of the errors

hussamfr

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
hello I'm just wondering if you found a fix for this problem yet and if you can share it with us ?

Christifer

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2023
You will have to reset the nvram. I just went through this. Error went away after. I went through the terminal as the button combo wasn't working on my iMac.

Reactions: howardc64

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
You will have to reset the nvram. I just went through this. Error went away after. I went through the terminal as the button combo wasn't working on my iMac.

Been using a non OCLP macOS to build OCLP install sticks and got this problem. PRAM reset fixed it for me.

davlazop

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2024
Hello, I'm Alejo, I've solved it.
I realized that it's necessary to have the EFI partition installed as indicated.
1- Request a reboot (press OPTION / ALT key)
2- Enter the boot system, it will start in EFI mode
3- The application will work correctly and won't prompt for that issue.
Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.