Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
For as long as I've been a Mac user, there's one class of app I've never been able to find—a set of really good emulators for classic 2D game consoles like the NES and SNES.

Most emulators consider Mac compatibility an afterthought, and it shows. The Mac version of RetroArch uses a confusing console-centric interface, does not support opening games from Finder, and has longstanding issues with controller support that make local multiplayer impractical. The Mac emulator ports on Richard Bannister's website require a separate, paid app for basic features like using controllers and entering fullscreen, and while I don't mind paying for good software, using a separate app is ugly. The 10.9-compatible versions of SNES9x and BSNES/Higan also have issues with controller support on Mac, and seem to crash frequently. I wanted something that felt built for OS X.

There is one emulator project designed from the ground up for OS X, called OpenEmu. It's an awesome app, but it wasn't what I wanted. For starters, OpenEmu's automatic core downloading system is broken on old versions of OS X, which made the app tricky to set up in the first place. More importantly, however, OpenEmu is designed to not just play games but to manage a game library, and Finder already does that for me. If OpenEmu was modeled after iTunes, I wanted something akin to QuickTime.

So last summer, I took OpenEmu's source code and ripped out all of the library functionality, creating a document-based app in accordance with Apple's design guidelines. I named the result "OpenEmu Lite", and it has been quietly available for download on my personal website since early fall.

Why am I posting about it now? Basically, I feel the project has progressed to the point where it will be useful to people without my personal idiosyncrasies. I've recompiled OpenEmu's "cores" to be based on newer versions of their underlying emulators, such that OpenEmu Lite contains the most up-to-date versions of Nestopia, SNES9x, and mGBA you can get on OS X 10.9 and below sans RetroArch. I also enabled dynamic rate control in SNES9x and Genesis Plus GX, for perfect frame pacing on 60hz displays without any audio crackling.

OpenEmu Lite Features
  • Supports NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advanced, and Nintendo DS games.
  • "Just Works"—open a game from Finder and start playing in seconds!
  • Easily assign buttons from any generic HID-compliant game controller.
  • Automatic save states—when you re-open a game you've played previously, you'll pick up exactly where you left off.
    • Manual save states will never be supported because they cheapen the experience. If a game is too hard—as many are—add cheat codes to OpenEmu.app/Contents/Resources/cheats-database.xml. (You can also manually back up and restore the automatically-created states in OpenEmu's Application Support folder, if you must.)
  • Designed for OS X 10.7 – 10.9. Any support for newer operating systems is coincidental and untested.

Download

Some things I could use help with, if anyone is willing:
  • I'd like to make games appear in Finder with cartridge icons. These could be generic or console-specific, but they should look like game cartridges, and they should fit the look of pre-Yosemite OS X and/or OpenEmu. Please get in touch if you have some drawing skills and think this would be a fun project.
  • I would like to try adding 64-bit Snow Leopard support! Unfortunately, OpenEmu does not work in Virtual Machines due to its reliance on graphics acceleration, and I don't have anything real to test with. If you are a Snow Leopard user who is willing to participate in a great deal of annoying trial-and-error testing over PMs, please get in touch.
    • Support for PowerPC, Tiger, Leopard, and 32-bit Snow Leopard isn't feasible due to OpenEmu's reliance on Automatic Reference Counting.
Other than that, please let me know if you run into any crashes or other bugs. I only have access to a limited library of hardware and games to test with, but I'd like to make this app absolutely stable!

P.S. If you're looking for legal games to play, I highly recommend Bat Puncher, Spacegulls, Witch n' Wiz (paid), and Micro Mages (paid).

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Most emulators consider Mac compatibility an afterthought, and it shows.

Yes! I've despaired at the sheer shoddiness, the lack of any basic effort and attention with many Mac versions of emulators. I can think of one in particular that doesn't even include any documentation whatsoever, I couldn't even find a release history and I was forced to employ trial and error in order to locate a version that's even compatible with my macOS release as they're not labelled with this information.

Even after locating a working version, you had to guess your way to success by pressing every key till you found the right ones. Obviously I soon tired of this nonsense and asked myself why would I endure this in order to run something that's basically been provided with contempt towards the user and their machine? No matter if it's free.

The Mac emulator ports on Richard Bannister's website require a separate, paid app for basic features like controller and fullscreen support, and while I don't mind paying for good software, using a separate app is ugly.

I wasn't impressed one bit by that approach. Forcing you to pay for fullscreen support? He might as well just offer the emulator as trialware or a commercial program instead.

I wanted something that felt built for OS X.

Thanks. I for one salute you for taking on this project: I actually own most of the machines that you've listed but it's bound to be a godsend for those who do not and I look forward to seeing its progress. :)

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
Great work on this. I used to use OpenEmu when it still natively supported Lion and I always really liked its library interface. Is there any way to re-enable it in your version?

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Great work on this. I used to use OpenEmu when it still natively supported Lion and I always really liked its library interface. Is there any way to re-enable it in your version?
No, I’ve ripped out far too much code. It's based on the Lion-compatible OpenEmu 1.0.4 anyway, so you could just use that and download the old cores manually from OpenEmu's Github (since their downloader is broken). You just won't be able to use my newer cores. (Actually, I guess you could try using my cores, but I have no idea what will happen and can't help you.)

I can think of one in particular that doesn't even include any documentation whatsoever, I couldn't even find a release history and I was forced to employ trial and error in order to locate a version that's even compatible with my macOS release as they're not labelled with this information.
What, you mean like lots and lots of Mac apps? :) (I have to play the high-low game all the time, no one includes compatibility information anymore.)

Thanks. I for one salute you for taking on this project: I actually own most of the machines that you've listed but it's bound to be a godsend for those who do not and I look forward to seeing its progress.
Thanks, just remember I'm standing on the shoulders of giants here—I wouldn't have been able to make this from scratch if OpenEmu didn't already exist.

Last edited:

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Hello and complilments for you effort, I was really waiting for an emulator able to run on OSX Lion but... on my MacMini Middle 2007 (core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, OSX 10.7.5) it does not work, at least with SNES Rom dumps I have (*.smc extension).
Every time I tried to open a ROM it crashes (Application unexpectedly quit), I suspect the minimum system requirements are not met, this particular Mac has the Intel GMA950 with 64 Mb of shared ram only, is there something I can try to make it work?

EDIT: I have also tried with (verified) Genesis ROMs (*.md extension), same result, the crash seems not related to the emu cores.

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
it does not work, at least with SNES Rom dumps I have (*.smc extension).
Every time I tried to open a ROM it crashes (Application unexpectedly quit),
I have the same issue with an SNES ROM on a 2007 MacBook Pro (also a Core 2 Duo machine). A GBC ROM — I tried Prince of Persia — can be loaded.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnakeCoils

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
I really hope the issue could be solved, for now on my system I can use,
for SNES emulation: BSNES 0.6.8 (Performance) or Snes9X 1.60
for Genesis: Genesis Plus 1.3.2
for GameBoy/GBC: Kigb 2.0.4

Those are the most recent versions able to run on OSX Lion and GMA950 graphics, too bad Mr.Bannister didn't release his Emulator Enhancer free for vintage Macs, I really love the fullscreen experience.

EDIT: I have tried on OpenEmuLite the Super Mario Bros Deluxe dump (1.1) for GBC but it crashes exactly like SNES and Genesis ROMs, it works fine in Kigb 2.0.4

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
@SnakeCoils Can you please send over a crash log?

I have the same issue with an SNES ROM on a 2007 MacBook Pro (also a Core 2 Duo machine). A GBC ROM — I tried Prince of Persia — can be loaded.
Just confirming this is with the latest version, and not the one you were testing for me a couple of weeks ago? I ask because I completely switched the SNES core from Higan to SNES9x.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Sure! Here it is, attached to the post.
Thanks, I may PM you with some builds to try in the next few days so we don't clog up the thread. Doesn't look like a GPU issue at all, I think it may be timing related. OpenEmu's code is multithreaded to an annoying degree.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Just confirming this is with the latest version, and not the one you were testing for me a couple of weeks ago? I ask because I completely switched the snes core from Higan to SNES9x.
Gotcha. I was referring to the earlier version. Sorry... Going to test the new one ASAP!

Reactions: Wowfunhappy

SnakeCoils

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2018
Italy
Thanks, I may PM you with some builds to try in the next few days so we don't clog up the thread. Doesn't look like a GPU issue at all, I think it may be timing related. OpenEmu's code is multithreaded to an annoying degree.
Yes, I will be happy to do some beta-testing, feel free to sent me the binaries you need to try :)

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
The download has been updated to fix a variety of issues on 10.7. Thanks to @SnakeCoils for testing!

(Still waiting for a helper for Snow Leopard! You may end up doing a lot of testing for me though!)

Reactions: SnakeCoils

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hm, no volunteers... I'll help with SL and Leopard if you're still making efforts here. I was happy to just use the emulators I had from that era but if you're putting this much work into something that so many people can enjoy, I have to offer my time.

I like OpenEMU. It's not perfect, it requires some self-inflicted guard-rails, but for the particular games I want to play it has performed satisfactorily. Less clutter sounds like my Leopard philosophy.

I have multiple boot drives and GPU's on my Mac Pro, so I can jump into 10.5 or 10.6 any time!

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I'll help with SL and Leopard if you're still making efforts here. I was happy to just use the emulators I had from that era but if you're putting this much work into something that so many people can enjoy, I have to offer my time.
Thank you! Unfortunately, I literally just started a new job (like, today) so I'm not sure when I'll have a moment to focus on this, but I may PM you at some point!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Haha, this is exactly how timing works for me usually. For basically any projects you do continue, I'll be your Intel Leopard/Snow Leopard guinea pig. I also have a G4 mini running OS 9, Tiger and Leopard at your service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.