Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
You are giving too much attention to the names of APIs without understanding the technology behind them.

Mantle - the API that defines how every library works is in every API. Metal, DirectX 12, Vulkan, they all were given birth thanks to Mantle. Thats most important thing. Of course everyone of them is different in some ways. But at the core they are pretty much the same, thanks to what - coding will be fast and easy.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Apple is trying to use gaming-possibilities that are already huge on a particular platform: iOS.

It might not be an industry-standard but there are sure advantages in using Metal on both iOS and OS X.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I've haven't seen too many iOS games ported to the Mac, despite the fact it would be reasonably simple to do so for many developers. Based on that article awhile back about the App store sales, small wonder as it seems most don't buy apps for the Mac. I buy a lot of games for my Mac, but I get them from Steam which has vastly more online gaming head-to-head support (usually works against Windows versions) AND gives you the Windows version for free if you ever switch platforms or have a Windows gaming machine too. I see few reasons to ever buy a game from the App store and I prefer to buy direct from the author for regular apps when possible as Apple often arbitrarily limits/ruins/destroys features due to their control freakish nature.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Another bonehead decision by Apple.

Why do they gimp their products like this? Let me guess, when they finally implement OpenGL the right way, they'll say they're innovative, right?

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Gimping? Making an API working both with games AND Professional APPs is a bad thing? I think you guys completely forgot that it will be core rendering solution no only for games(Mantle is here, so its all good), but it will help for professionals.

Metal grew from iOS, yes. But it grew way bigger thing for whole Apple offerings than you imagine right now.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Another bonehead decision by Apple.

Why do they gimp their products like this? Let me guess, when they finally implement OpenGL the right way, they'll say they're innovative, right?

I have great difficulties understanding your thought process. Apple finally brings a GPU access to their platform that promises to be fast, efficient, easy to use and easy to debug. This would never be possible with OpenGL. And you are talking about 'gimping'?

Yes, there is more platform fragmentation this way. And yes, its not an open standard. But its still miles better than any available alternative! I like Vulkan, but there has been dead silence since its unveil three month ago. A competent, easy to use API (which Metal certainly is) is much better in my book than a cumbersome API which might be released in some uncertain future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.