Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RQuaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Dallas, TX
According to the UPS supercomputers, I'll be receiving my new MacBook Air today. Also according to said computers, the MacBook was in China just 36 hours ago and has traveled through Korea, Alaska, and Kentucky before heading to my state/city. I can only assume there is a fair amount of plastic in the packaging, the surface on which Coronavirus lasts longest.

How concerned should I be that the packaging and/or the computer inside has any virus on it? Even if the odds are minimal, does anyone have any recommendations about how to go through opening the box and other materials in a way that avoids contamination? Do I need to apply the same protocol to this package that I do to my groceries?

We're somewhat stringent about staying virus-free in my home and I don't want the excitement I have about this new computer to be the weak link in our safety chain.

PS I'm a new user. I tried to find a thread about this already, but likely missed it. Happy to latch onto another thread, if it exists. Point me thusly.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
My wife works as a nurse, right now the shortage is so great for PPE, that they are reusing masks. The told her that coronavirus dies (of whatever the eqivilant of death is to a virus) and isn't infectious after three days. The current procedure is for her to put her mask into a paper bag, and wait three days to reuse it.

Obviously a MacBook isn't a surgical mask, but as long as it has been more than three days since the computer was put into the box, you should be fine touching anything on the inside of the cardboard. If you are really worried that the ups/fedex delivery driver is infected, you can wipe the outside of the box down, or simply put the entire sealed box somewhere like your garage and wait three days to open it.

Reactions: RQuaid

jparker402

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2016
Bellevue, NE
At the assisted living home where I reside, all packages from mail or delivery service is wiped down with a Clorox wipe. Don't think it sits for three days, but that probably wouldn't hurt with all the traveling your box will have done.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
1. Handle the package (as you receive it) with gloves
2. Wipe the exterior down with disinfectant
3. Set it somewhere "in the sunlight" (for the UV rays)
4. Let it sit for 7 days.
5. On the 8th day, open it.

That oughta do it...
(channeling Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) ;)

RQuaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Dallas, TX
Thank you for these insights...

The computer just arrived. I'll definitely wipe the shipping box down and let it sit for a while. What about the inside, i.e., the contents of the box? Should I wipe down the whole computer, cords, etc. once opened?

I think this comprehensive cleanse will be my plan unless someone can persuade me that the contents haven't interacted with humans (or infected surfaces) for at least a couple of weeks.

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Thank you for these insights...

The computer just arrived. I'll definitely wipe the shipping box down and let it sit for a while. What about the inside, i.e., the contents of the box? Should I wipe down the whole computer, cords, etc. once opened?

I think this comprehensive cleanse will be my plan unless someone can persuade me that the contents haven't interacted with humans (or infected surfaces) for at least a couple of weeks.

You can't lose by wiping down everything. It will take less time to wipe it all than it will take to think about whether you should wipe it all.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Meh - open it, take the laptop and power cable out, put the box away, wash hands, use wrung-dry soapy cloth to wipe the exterior of the MBA, the MBA keyboard and power cable. Done.

RQuaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2020
Dallas, TX
Meh - open it, take the laptop and power cable out, put the box away, wash hands, use wrung-dry soapy cloth to wipe the exterior of the MBA, the MBA keyboard and power cable. Done.

I decided to call Apple to see if there was an official line, and this was pretty close. The person who answered my call told me that all the equipment was sanitary, but the boxes were not. Since the computers are manufactured in a facility that maintains stringent cleanliness standards (all workers in mask/gloves, regardless of pandemic), they should be sanitary. Still, the suggestion was as follows:

Have disinfectant wipes ready. Doing the best to keep hands clean throughout, throw away shipping box, throw away the apple box and packaging, and wipe down all components just to be safe.

After speaking with the rep, I felt pretty confident that there wasn't latent virus all over the new keyboard, screen, or any other component.
[automerge]1586992729[/automerge]
My wife works as a nurse, right now the shortage is so great for PPE, that they are reusing masks. The told her that coronavirus dies (of whatever the eqivilant of death is to a virus) and isn't infectious after three days. The current procedure is for her to put her mask into a paper bag, and wait three days to reuse it.

Obviously a MacBook isn't a surgical mask, but as long as it has been more than three days since the computer was put into the box, you should be fine touching anything on the inside of the cardboard. If you are really worried that the ups/fedex delivery driver is infected, you can wipe the outside of the box down, or simply put the entire sealed box somewhere like your garage and wait three days to open it.

Also - just wanted to mention how sad it is your wife doesn't have what she needs to do her job. Thank her for her work and thank you for your help.

Reactions: adrianlondon

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Ahh good to hear the workers gloved and masked up regardless.. don’t think I’d want to be wiping alcohol or soapy water on my new comp.

that being said I don’t think I’d feel comfortable ordering in this current climate..

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hold on to them boxes, you may need them in the unlikely event you have to return the laptop
Agreed - no need to throw them away. Surprised the Apple person said to do so. Even in the worst case scenario, some virus droplets may still be on any plastic coated bits up to 5 days. (Not cardboard - they'd evaporate within a couple of days.) Either don't touch the box for 5 days or simply wash your hands whenever you do.

The idea of using gloves to do this stuff will cause more issues than it solves. I mean, are people so against washing their hands that they'd rather go through many pairs of gloves? And unless you take them off and throw them away without touching them, you need to wash your hands anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.