Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TornadoTed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
Really stupid thread, I apologise in advance!!!

I run a recording studio and have the Mac in a cupboard for noise reasons. The cupboard isn't deep enough for the drive to open without the door of the cupboard open.

When I want to insert a CD I have to go and open the cupboard door in the next room and then go back to the studio to open the superdrive draw and then go back and put the CD in!

At first this didn't bother me but now it really starting to bug me.

I can't believe there is no way to open the superdrives at the machine itself.

If I fitted other drives it appears that their open/close buttons wouldn't be visible anyway. Is this correct?

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX
are you running a G5 tower or a Mac Pro or what? Because on a G5 and a mac pro, you can push a paper clip through the cheese grater front and poke the open button on the drive itself. The drives in your mac are not different from any others except for their compatability, but I don't know that any of the mac's with the tray drives (power mac/mac pro) are any different. They have the open button, it just might not be readily visible...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I wouldn't suggest using the emergency eject as common practice. Have you thought about putting a wired keyboard in the cupboard with the Power Mac? If you have Bluetooth you could try a wireless keyboard.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I wouldn't suggest using the emergency eject as common practice. Have you thought about putting a wired keyboard in the cupboard with the Power Mac? If you have Bluetooth you could try a wireless keyboard.

Thats not the emergency eject thats the normal button. There is a paperclip hole as an emergency eject which disables the tray gears. They are talking about the actual eject button like found on PCs.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thats not the emergency eject thats the normal button. There is a paperclip hole as an emergency eject which disables the tray gears. They are talking about the actual eject button like found on PCs.
I see that now. It's using a paper clip to hit the normal ejection button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.