Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1jimmymac64

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I did it, I did it I did it! Took my brand new 2.26ghz mac Mini and decided to have a go of popping it open for a RAM upgrade. I have 20+ years working on PC's and never thought I'd sweat bullets at the thought of getting my hands inside a computer 'til I entered the realm of the mac Mini.

I watched the videos and considered all the tool options. I found the perfect opening device at the Dollar Tree store - a thin, metal spatula. The solid kind, not the slotted one. I also used a dulled carpet knife sliding it carefully between the plastic backside and the aluminum frame giving enough room to carefully start one corner of the spatula in the separation.

Once the spatula was in (with relative ease, and not one scratch!) I felt for the release of the internal clips and gently pulled up. To my surprise and relief, the mac Mini's plastic cover was very cooperative in separating.

Working my way around the case cover, I had it off in probably less than one minute.

So, for those who are considering upgrading this little bad boy, patience and a Dollar Tree spatula are all you need.

Unfortunately, all I can afford now is a single 2gb stick of PC3-8500, but knowing I can get in the guts of the mini I'll bump it to 4gb when my funds allow.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Yea for Dollar Tree :)

And agree, it is nerve-wracking when you open up a Mini the first time. Before you know it, you can have it open and back in 10 minutes flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.