Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mujtaba.mir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2014
So we know OpenVPN Connect has some issues connecting in with username password authentication, and only works with certificate based authentication from the inbuilt iOS VPN settings. I know we are on a beta and are expected to see issues, but is there any alternate application we can use for OpenVPN? I use a VPN from a company that only offers username password based authentication. Any help would be appreciated.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So we know OpenVPN Connect has some issues connecting in with username password authentication, and only works with certificate based authentication from the inbuilt iOS VPN settings. I know we are on a beta and are expected to see issues, but is there any alternate application we can use for OpenVPN? I use a VPN from a company that only offers username password based authentication. Any help would be appreciated.
I have installed the PIA app for the time being. Its IPSEC I think but it covers my need for VPN service until then. Main issue I have with lack of OpenVPN is not being able to send traffic through my firewall when away form the house which I do to stop ads. Bummer but I can deal for a while if its going to be fixed soon. Lets hope.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have installed the PIA app for the time being. Its IPSEC I think but it covers my need for VPN service until then. Main issue I have with lack of OpenVPN is not being able to send traffic through my firewall when away form the house which I do to stop ads. Bummer but I can deal for a while if its going to be fixed soon. Lets hope.

Do you use OpenVPN to connect to your house normally? What are you using for OpenVPN server? You may be able to disable username/password. If you are using a router with OpenVPN built-in that does not offer this ablity (eg. Asus router), then just disable it and setup a separate OpenVPN server on your LAN (using old PC, only one NIC is required) and forward the port 1194 on your router to it.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Do you use OpenVPN to connect to your house normally? What are you using for OpenVPN server? You may be able to disable username/password. If you are using a router with OpenVPN built-in that does not offer this ablity (eg. Asus router), then just disable it and setup a separate OpenVPN server on your LAN (using old PC, only one NIC is required) and forward the port 1194 on your router to it.
I use pfSense and I can adjust to cert vs user but have not yet. Just saying the first thing I noticed was no VPN once I left the OpenVPN app and it did it when I was connecting to home. Past that I use it for PIA but that can be done with their app for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.