Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoiko192

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2018
world
I would like to know your opinion, about my distribution of Wi-Fi networks in my house.
I live in a department
The walls are made of concrete
All points are in high places.

Utilities:
1x Airport Extreme
3x Airport Express (2nd Gen)
1x Airport Express (1st Gen)
3x Powerline PLC v200
UTP cat6 cable

Internet speed: 50Mb adsl connection by coax
Normally connected devices: 13
Most used protocol: 802.11n
Most used network: 5Ghz
Channel 2.4 / 5: Automatic
Networks around: 40
Encryption type: WPA2

I enclose my amazing drawing made in illustrator cs2

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    216.7 KB · Views: 201

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Many times with WiFi, less is more. I would try using 2 WAPs and see how it works out. Without a site survey, it's anyone's guess as to the best location for each WAP.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Many times with WiFi, less is more. I would try using 2 WAPs and see how it works out. Without a site survey, it's anyone's guess as to the best location for each WAP.

I second this sentiment. And, I would add that placing them too close doesn't help either.

I would be inclined to use the Extreme as the main router, and one of the 2Gen Expresses in the kitchen. But, I would use the Powerline adapter to link it to the router if the kitchen does not have built in Cat6. Wireless extending with airports is not ideal, you will get significantly better performance with ethernet or Powerline links to the router. This is because wireless extending uses 50% of the radio capacity to link to the router, the other half for client connection. When ethernet linked, 100% of radio capacity is available for clients.

If two don't cut it, add one at a time to the mix, but link them with powerline.

Reactions: belvdr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.