Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
So I feel like I'm potentially stepping into a minefield here.

Up until now, I've always put a screen protector on the MacBook that I use for travel and work, mainly to protect the display from dust, potential physical damage, and the more-than-occasional touch of an over-excited fingertip. But I've increasingly seen people vehemently opposed to screen protectors on Macs like the M2 MacBook Air (which I just got).

Doing research, I've seen people saying that they lead to delamination of the display (!!!) or cracking the screen when the lid is closed. I briefly had a screen protector on my M2 Air, and it seemed like it was thin enough to not cause any potential damage since it didn't seem to exceed the thickness of the gap between the display and the bottom bezel.

Anyway, is there anyone out there using a PET screen protector on their Apple Silicon MacBook Air? Apparently tempered glass screen protectors are thick enough to potentially cause issues with the lid closed.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I just don't see what there that needs protecting. Fingerprints and dust wipe off easily, and it travels with the screen closed. Not really any worthwhile gains that I can see when there are more risks, especially if I paid over a thousand for that machine.

Reactions: rampancy

Flowstates

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2023
I've used privacy and matte screen protectors on multiple different macs.

Never had one on for protection though, closing the lid should be enough and potentially reducing the space where interference could be buffered is a risk.

Using my mac "naked" now that it is no security concern.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I think among other reasons listed it diminishes the screen quality. Once I bought a used MacBook from someone who sold it with the protector still on it. At first I didn’t realize it had one, and thought the screen was bad!

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I don't like protectors on phones either I feel they look cheap.

I just got new laptop and its mainly going to live at home so I plan on keeping lip open all the time to avoid damage they pick up from keyboards.

my non scientific theory is that will improve screen quality than closing it every time..

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I don't like protectors on phones either I feel they look cheap.

I just got new laptop and its mainly going to live at home so I plan on keeping lip open all the time to avoid damage they pick up from keyboards.

my non scientific theory is that will improve screen quality than closing it every time..
It’s kind of a catch 22 I guess. Open lid means more accumulation of dust and other crud from the environment, closed lid has the potential for the keys to imprint over time (I think the latter has improved somewhat on newer MBs though).

My situation is probably lid closed more than 50% the time since I often need to store it away, but always making sure to keep the keyboard and screen free of larger debris particles and dust that could damage it when closed, and also never pressing or setting anything on top of the lid.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
It’s kind of a catch 22 I guess. Open lid means more accumulation of dust and other crud from the environment, closed lid has the potential for the keys to imprint over time (I think the latter has improved somewhat on newer MBs though).

My situation is probably lid closed more than 50% the time since I often need to store it away, but always making sure to keep the keyboard and screen free of larger debris particles and dust that could damage it when closed, and also never pressing or setting anything on top of the lid.
crazy idea but maybe a sheet of A4 paper between keyboard and screen might keep it clean? or could friction cause more damage..

wishing kept the paper that came in the box

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
crazy idea but maybe a sheet of A4 paper between keyboard and screen might keep it clean? or could friction cause more damage..

wishing kept the paper that came in the box
I’m not sure what kind of paper that is, but I’d be concerned about the friction personally.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I’m not sure what kind of paper that is, but I’d be concerned about the friction personally.
My unit is a refurb, and the paper I got was a very thin, very fragile sheet; not one that I think would last any kind of travelling around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.