Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickelB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Hello all!
I'm hoping to get some opinions/advice if possible! (I've done hours of reading on this forum, everyone is always extremely knowledgable!).

I need to get a new computer - I'm still sitting with my early 2015 Macbook pro *with an accidental damaged screen (whoops)* with some of the lowest specs available, at the time it was fine, but my graphic design career took a pretty successful leap and I find myself working freelance for some of the biggest clients out there - so at the moment it's pretty much just unacceptable for me to even be looking at this old machine, it's definitely slowing me down!~

I mainly use photoshop and illustrator, though when time permits I want to get into animation and learn a lot more of the Adobe programs. The specs I was looking at:
27" iMac 2019, i9, 8gb RAM (self-upgrade + 32gb), 512gb SSD, Pro Vega 48

Graphics question:
Regarding the GPU, I've done a lot of reading about the difference between the two options, still undecided, as most people tend to refer to gaming, though I'm not a gamer at all, and would only be using the computer for graphic design/graphic focused applications - my first thought was no brainer just to go for the better GPU - I assume that programs like photoshop and/or animation work would indeed benefit from the Pro Vega 48?
Or is the GPU related more-so to frame rates for games and videos and perhaps one mightn't notice much difference at all in Adobe programs?

SSD question:
I'm thinking of going with 512gb SSD as I like to off-load my finished projects onto external drives anyway, it's just a way for me to keep organised, I try not to clutter computers anyway and try to just work on one project at a time to stay focused - my main question is, will more SSD, like 1T, positively affect the performance of the computer or applications? Or is the amount of SSD just a personal choice, and SSD is literally just how much storage is available? I always wondered if larger SSD actually meant better performance somehow, or just more space? (I'm definitely showing how little I know about the inner-workings of computers haha, so all advice/info is genuinely appreciated).

Either way whatever I choose will be a huge improvement, I am however a stuck as the more I read the more I wonder if the iMac 2019 will lose value quite quickly, especially if Apple does release an unsuspecting re-design sooner rather than later, though I can't particularly wait, I do wonder if I should even just wait until June at least and see what's going on with the Mac Pro + apparent new displays? I was actually even looking at the iMac Pro. Ah! Decisions!

*I also read about the concerns with the iMac being loud and heating up, but I'm not sure the work I do is heavy enough to cause such, as even my poor little MBP early 2015 (on only 8gb RAM) never heats up or runs its fans loud or anything similar.

Anyway! All and any comments welcome!
Thanks for the help guys!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
will more SSD, like 1T, positively affect the performance of the computer or applications?
Not if you're fastidious about organizing and offloading your projects when not working on them Too much housekeeping for me—larger SSDs save time in that regard but there's little difference in raw performance.

Photoshop, Lightroom et all like more cores, more RAM and better GPU. They do. Power users are springing for the 14 and 18 core because, when time saved=money earned, these machines pay for themselves.

Based on your question, I recommend an iMac Pro. It does everything you need. The base model is $4,249 in the Refurb Store for 8 core, 32G quad channel RAM, 1TB, Vega 56 — if they really were refurbished, Apple would run out which does not happen. That's the same price as a similar i9 with a Vega 48.
*I also read about the concerns with the iMac being loud and heating up, but I'm not sure the work I do is heavy enough to cause such,
Heavy graphics rendering runs hot (one of the few things that will push an i9 fan) and the iMP has much better cooling. Only you know how heavy your usage is.

If you aren't making a living at it, an i9 should be fine. It really is a very good machine.

The i9 specs out like a sports car; the iMac Pro is a tank. Most graphics pros I know are driving tanks. Ok, some are very expensive Windows tanks but still...

NickelB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2019
Not if you're fastidious about organizing and offloading your projects when not working on them Too much housekeeping for me—larger SSDs save time in that regard but there's little difference in raw performance.

Photoshop, Lightroom et all like more cores, more RAM and better GPU. They do. Power users are springing for the 14 and 18 core because, when time saved=money earned, these machines pay for themselves.

Based on your question, I recommend an iMac Pro. It does everything you need. The base model is $4,249 in the Refurb Store for 8 core, 32G quad channel RAM, 1TB, Vega 56 — if they really were refurbished, Apple would run out which does not happen. That's the same price as a similar i9 with a Vega 48.

Heavy graphics rendering runs hot (one of the few things that will push an i9 fan) and the iMP has much better cooling. Only you know how heavy your usage is.

If you aren't making a living at it, an i9 should be fine. It really is a very good machine.

The i9 specs out like a sports car; the iMac Pro is a tank. Most graphics pros I know are driving tanks. Ok, some are very expensive Windows tanks but still...

Thank you so much for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it!

I was actually very keen to look at the refurbished iMac Pros, would have been such a no-brainer, but unfortunately the Australian Apple store doesn't offer anything refurbished beyond the phones & laptops it seems, the iMac + iMac Pro options appear to be "frozen" on the aussie site unfortunately! :(

I'm curious your thoughts in regards to the difference between the higher spec iMac (2019) vs the lowest spec iMac Pro? As even though I technically /could/ afford it (haha), I'm not sure I want to drop $7400+ just yet, though the higher spec iMac will be closing in on $5500-6000 for me here in Oz anyway I think.
Aside the cooling benefits of the iMac pro, in regards to users of Adobe programs, do you believe there would be a world of difference when comparing the baseline iMac Pro vs the higher spec iMac?

I've done so much research but I think I'm just overwhelmed with different opinions, additionally most aren't quite referring to those doing graphic work (and/or I don't fully understand the inner-workings of computers in regards to graphic performance making it hard for me to know which computer is best for my needs), most folk tend to refer to gaming or video work which is making my comparing/decisions a tiny bit more difficult/confusing, so I really appreciate the help!

I guess in the end it will come down to how much money I can/want to spend really ha, I suspect the iMac Pro would have a greater re-sell value, though some are sayings it's slower than the iMac 2019 (but if we're talking mere seconds that truly doesn't bother me at all). Perhaps my main curiosity is if the iMac Pro baseline would be noticeably different in regards to graphic creation work compared to the high end iMac? :)

Sorry for the rambles!
Thanks again so much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.