Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I think with this device, we find a progression in the foldable form factor.

Much easier to use both screens, with the front one-hand-friendly.

It's how I imagined Apple would do their foldable, if that ever happens.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Samsung should take some notes here.
Indeed! I'm really hoping this the approach Samsung will take with the Fold 4, that outer screen usability is the most impressive factor of the Oppo Find N. I had watched Dave2D video first and he explained how useful it is having a wider display instead of the narrow one that Samsung went with.

Having a wider display has a better reachability to it and how it looks like a regular phone instead of an abnormal one. And that's why I never felt the urge to upgrade to the Fold 3... that was my only reservation. I go so far to avoid using the outer display since the usability isn't good. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Samsung addressed the durability of the Fold 3, but I cannot stand that narrow outer display.

But the problem with the Oppo Find N is the android skin and it's not as feature rich compared to OneUI... I believe Samsung has a partnership with Google to get better optimization from Android apps. But Oppo knocked it out the park on their first attempt into foldables, so kudos for them for that! And I'll like to mention... they didn't cheap out in the camera department with the 50 MP for the rear along with the 32 MP on the front!

Reactions: Ralfi

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Nice form factor, albeit heavy.

But in the end, it's OPPO. Meaning expensive throwaways. There will be only one or no OS upgrades at all. All these youtubers are basically paid ads as the device itself is China only release.

Definitely some cues on the next evolution of foldables. I'm sure Samsung will take notes.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
But in the end, it's OPPO. Meaning expensive throwaways. There will be only one or no OS upgrades at all. All these youtubers are basically paid ads as the device itself is China only release.

Definitely some cues on the next evolution of foldables. I'm sure Samsung will take notes.
You seem indifferent. Not too high or low, but directly in the middle.

I think the design of the Fold 4 will remain relatively the same... it will introduce a silo for the S-Pen, better display and better cameras this time around. Most likely improve on the hinge to reduce the crease.

I recall months ago before the Fold 3 was announced I received a survey from Samsung about foldables... where they asked me about the narrow outer display, for which I was critical of it. So, I'm sure they are aware of this.... but I think Oppo showcasing this Find N makes it more apparent.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I don't think this will change Samsung's plans for the Fold 4. I still think we will see the stupid narrow outer display on the F4, unfortunately.

Reactions: Ralfi

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Most likely improve on the hinge to reduce the crease.
Not sure about this. It may take a significant design change for the Fold to not ‘pinch’ the screen. Oppo’s made room for the Find N screen to bend with a wider radius, so Samsung may need to move components around to do the same. We‘ll see.

But to grab my attention Samsung will need to tweak the form factor as it’s not a phone that turns into a tablet, but a tablet that turns into a phone…Oppo flipped that philosophy which is the better way to go imo.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not sure about this. It may take a significant design change for the Fold to not ‘pinch’ the screen. Oppo’s made room for the Find N screen to bend with a wider radius, so Samsung may need to move components around to do the same. We‘ll see.

But to grab my attention Samsung will need to tweak the form factor as it’s not a phone that turns into a tablet, but a tablet that turns into a phone…Oppo flipped that philosophy which is the better way to go imo.
I only meant how Oppo did with the Find N... as you suggested made room for the screen to bend in a U shape instead of a V shape as Samsung has done with their design.

And I'm definitely a fan of the Find N form factor... it's the best there is, I believe Oppo took some inspiration from the Mate X2 and improved on it. There's buzz around the Galaxy Fold reddit thread... users don't think the Find N is a better phone than the Fold 3. And I agree... it's not a better phone overall, but in terms of design (wider outer display then folds out to form in landscape tablet) ... I prefer it over the Samsung version.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The one area where they got things better than the fold is certainly the wider display even though it does have 60hz. However the opened up display is too small to be a good enough tablet experience. 7.6 for the fold is far better for usability.

i do wish Samsung makes the display wider on the front display but i don’t see it changing anytime soon.

all in all though it’s good to see Competition but seeing as it’s only going to be available in china? Meh thats not going to help the market at all. Only samsung can get production right for foldables and it’s a shame

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.