Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommysaethran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2017
Hi.

We are about to develope an application for OS X and wonder about what optimal resolution to make the application work on all mac´s. Let say we make the application 1920*1080, will that application be viewable on all mac´s, or will some need to scroll around. Im new to MAC and so i dont fully understand how they work regarding scaling an such.

Any help would be awesome :)

Regards
Tommy

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Get a 12" MacBook and make sure it works okay on there. Might as well get a MB Air (11" if you're bold) before they're fully discontinued, too. I visited a web app design studio where some of the coders were walking around with old white iBooks.

If there's one thing that goads me, it's app developers and web designers who set up their layouts for wide 5k displays, and then nothing fits properly on my 13" MB Pro's display.

What matters more than screen resolution is how your elements are arranged in the app. Please don't fill up ALL the available screen space with controls. The big screen is better for big content, not a jet aircraft-like array of onscreen control buttons.

stefanski

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
Australia
Maybe start here: https://developer.apple.com/library...troduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000031i

If you're new to OSX and Mac then the guidelines are a must read. Too many apps are published by folks who don't have any MAC experience and their apps tend to look rather average indeed. It's hard enough to sell a Mac App as it is so make sure yours stands out with a perfect layout by following these guidelines. Good luck with your app!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hi.

We are about to develope an application for OS X and wonder about what optimal resolution to make the application work on all mac´s. Let say we make the application 1920*1080, will that application be viewable on all mac´s, or will some need to scroll around. Im new to MAC and so i dont fully understand how they work regarding scaling an such.

Any help would be awesome :)

Regards
Tommy

The MacBook, on sale right now on the store, has a Retina display with 2304x1440 resolution, which means effectively 1152 x 720. Your app needs to work on that. Your app will most likely run in a window, which is smaller than this, and the window should be resizable (that is made smaller).

If your app needs to run in 1920 x 1080, then buyers will have to pay at least an iMac, or buy a monitor for their MacBook. If your app would be so essential to users that they do this, fine. Otherwise you won't get many customers.

Btw. Don't call a Mac MAC. MAC means "Media Access Control".

spiffers

Suspended
Apr 12, 2009
First of all, as gnasher729 said, its not MAC. And its not OS X either. Its called macOS. When developing apps for macOS, or iOS for that matters, you never should write layout for a specific screen size. One can use StoryBoards with Auto Layout, size classes, and so on. Get a developer account, and read the HIG, Human Interface Guide, and you could also watch one of the free tutorials on YouTube. Just search for StoryBoard.

Reactions: BarracksSi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.