Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple include a lock screen notification for Optimised Charging?

• Yes

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Other (describe below)

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
The new optimised charging feature seems like a great idea, anything designed to prolong the lifetime of a non user replaceable battery in a sealed phone is a great idea.

However I do foresee an issue with this feature, and that is the user.

I foresee a lot of non tech savvy people plugging their phone in and wondering why it’s not charging past 80% or charging very slowly past 80%

What I have suggested to Apple via the feedback app is that there be a notification on the lock screen explaining about optimised charging and the ability to temporarily disable it by clicking that notification.

For me personally I don’t think I’ve not seen optimised charging in action as when I charge overnight it goes straight to 100% and stays there, although when I charge on the wireless charger in the van when using it as a satnav the battery doesn’t seem to go up much so that could be optimised charging or the phone charging slower as it’s under more load (battery hasn’t been quite as good as iOS12 yet)

Anyone else feel the same about the lock screen notification, or do you think there should be other ways of informing the masses what is going on with the battery?

There needs to be some kind of sign of what is going on or I imagine a lot of people will be hitting the Genius Bar with “battery issues” when in reality it’s just the new charging feature.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Optimized charging is supposed to learn your charging habits. I would assume then that when enabled it will still charge to 100%. It will then start to find patterns, for example you seem to be charging for many hours during the night and you usually wake up after 8 hours. So at hour 6 it will start to fill up the last percentage. Just randomly plugging it in during the day should still charge to 100%

Reactions: DeanL

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Optimized charging is supposed to learn your charging habits. I would assume then that when enabled it will still charge to 100%. It will then start to find patterns, for example you seem to be charging for many hours during the night and you usually wake up after 8 hours. So at hour 6 it will start to fill up the last percentage. Just randomly plugging it in during the day should still charge to 100%
Now that’s how I thought it would work, but people are saying that when you plug it in during the day it’s learning how much you use it and will decide whether to top the battery off or if it feels like you have enough for your normal usage it will not charge.

Now the way I’ve seen it work so far is that overnight it’s charging as before jumping straight to 100% without a pause at 80% yet when I connect it to the wireless charger in the van to keep it topped up when using it as a satnav it doesn’t get anymore charged instead hovering at the charge level I’ve left it at.

Attachments

• 6EAE3AEE-B360-42A8-A508-D53BD7BF97D5.png
    6EAE3AEE-B360-42A8-A508-D53BD7BF97D5.png
    643.9 KB · Views: 239

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
You can turn it off - settings: battery: battery health. This should be included in Control Center. Maybe ‘suspend’ which Apple seems to like to do for WiFi, Bluetooth.

Reactions: Five_Oh

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
You can turn it off - settings: battery: battery health. This should be included in Control Center. Maybe ‘suspend’ which Apple seems to like to do for WiFi, Bluetooth.
I don’t want to turn it off, I think it’s a good idea. It just needs to let users know what it’s doing as there will be non tech savvy users who will be confused and think their device is defective when it doesn’t charge past 80%

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
You wanted to keep it topped off - so pause or turn the feature off temporarily why not. Putting that as a shortcut or control center. You can still use it just not when in the van or where it needs to be topped off. Not perfect enough

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
I think you misunderstood I don’t mind it not being topped off, but when I put the phone on the wireless charger it just says charging but doesn’t actually charge and I know its probably the optimised charging at work, but other non tech savvy users might not. Plus a lock screen notification to quickly disable would be a good idea. Also as you suggested the control centre would be good too but that won’t inform users when optimised charging is actually occurring.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
Now that’s how I thought it would work, but people are saying that when you plug it in during the day it’s learning how much you use it and will decide whether to top the battery off or if it feels like you have enough for your normal usage it will not charge.

Now the way I’ve seen it work so far is that overnight it’s charging as before jumping straight to 100% without a pause at 80% yet when I connect it to the wireless charger in the van to keep it topped up when using it as a satnav it doesn’t get anymore charged instead hovering at the charge level I’ve left it at.
Hasn't done that to me

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
When I plugged in last night I had a notification about optimised charging, telling me it would be fully charged by 5am.
Oh really, maybe then mine is still in the learning phase then.

If that is the case then this thread should be disregarded.

To be honest I’ve been given a Galaxy S9+ from work and I do like the way it tells you how long till fully charged which is something I think Apple should do all the time.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

I just assumed it would do something simple like check what time your alarm is set for. It will be interesting if it attempts to learn your habits. I work variable shift patterns so I think it would struggle.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I just assumed it would do something simple like check what time your alarm is set for. It will be interesting if it attempts to learn your habits. I work variable shift patterns so I think it would struggle.

That could definitely be an option as well

Hook85

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
Sheffield, UK
Oh really, maybe then mine is still in the learning phase then.

If that is the case then this thread should be disregarded.

To be honest I’ve been given a Galaxy S9+ from work and I do like the way it tells you how long till fully charged which is something I think Apple should do all the time.

I think yours probably is still learning, last night was the first time I noticed it!

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
So last night I finally saw the optimised charging notification and if you hold it you can tell the phone to charge all the way to 100%

Oddly though it only held at 80% for a little while whilst going all the way to 100% quite early in the cycle, if you see the screenshot you can see it spent more time at 100% than 80%

I kind of expected a slope to 80% a flat line and then around an hour before 5am (that’s when the phone said it would be ready by) a slope to 100%

I’m wondering if I disturbed it last night as I woke up during a thunderstorm and used my phone for a little bit to look at the lightning tracker map, so that could have caused optimised charging to alter how it worked.
Hopefully tonight I can see if it does how I think it should.

Attachments

• 9753DB2C-5FEF-45A4-A0F9-D2683E1E88A0.png
    9753DB2C-5FEF-45A4-A0F9-D2683E1E88A0.png
    645 KB · Views: 173
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.