Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
hello everyone,
I have already made approximately 2500 photos on my iPhone and I was wondering why they are not filling my iphones capacity (i saw they fill only 300mb in my device and that makes no sense when I have 2500 photos).
I found out that I have enabled in photos -> optimize iPhone storage.
It says that the photos are uploaded in iCloud and stuff but I can’t find any photo in my iCloud. I mean I went in ICloud and I saw that i have 5GB left. So where are all my photos going ? Why don’t they fill any space in my device nor in my iCloud ? Thanks everyone in advance

Funsize93

macrumors regular
May 23, 2018
Australia
Do you have iCloud photo library turned on. If yes, they'll be in iCloud. Go to iCloud.com (on mac or PC) > sign in > Photos and youll see them there. The phone is optimising storage by storing the full resolution photos in iCloud and only effectively showing a thumbnail of the photo on your phone (so they appear normally) when you open a photo your phone then downloads the the full resolution temporarily.

Reactions: AntonisReverse

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Do you have iCloud photo library turned on. If yes, they'll be in iCloud. Go to iCloud.com (on mac or PC) > sign in > Photos and youll see them there. The phone is optimising storage by storing the full resolution photos in iCloud and only effectively showing a thumbnail of the photo on your phone (so they appear normally) when you open a photo your phone then downloads the the full resolution temporarily.
iCloud Photo Library is on but as I told u I can’t understand where my photos are uploaded. I went to see my iCloud account but it’s 5GB free capacity out of 5 so where are all these photos uploading to ?
[doublepost=1530965180][/doublepost]I
I also signed in from my pc but no photo there. It also says you have 4 data remaining to make sure you have a complete copy of your photos and videos
[doublepost=1530965563][/doublepost]
iCloud Photo Library is on but as I told u I can’t understand where my photos are uploaded. I went to see my iCloud account but it’s 5GB free capacity out of 5 so where are all these photos uploading to ?
[doublepost=1530965180][/doublepost]I

I also signed in from my pc but no photo there. It also says you have 4 data remaining to make sure you have a complete copy of your photos and videos

If you see here for example. It makes no sense ! And I have 2500 photos on my phone

Attachments

• AA0466C1-9653-41D2-9F46-D674869EEF47.png
    AA0466C1-9653-41D2-9F46-D674869EEF47.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 10FD44D4-7574-43A8-AD98-261850E4D481.png
    10FD44D4-7574-43A8-AD98-261850E4D481.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 268

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Believe why the phone is not filling up with pics is because you probably have the high efficiency photo format turned on under Camera settings. HEIC/HEIF pics are about half the size of JPEG, at times even greater savings.

As to iCloud oddities, unsure: I do not use it for photos.

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Believe why the phone is not filling up with pics is because you probably have the high efficiency photo format turned on under Camera settings. HEIC/HEIF pics are about half the size of JPEG, at times even greater savings.

As to iCloud oddities, unsure: I do not use it for photos.
The photo file is JPEG and each photos size is approx 2-3 megabyte

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
How much storage space do you have on your phone? What version of iOS are you using and which iPhone is that? Do you have other iOS devices? How long have you had this phone? Have you done a restore or anything recently? Have you recently turned off and back on iCloud Photo Library? Are you on good standings with Apple (don't owe them money for apps, videos, music etc)? What country are you in?

You need to make getting all your photos backed up to a computer a priority now.

2500 photos (if that includes videos) can be over 8gb with videos it can be much more. A lot of variables but make sure you have plenty of space on your phone. Import them to a computer from there.

Once you verify all your photos are safe then we'll need to figure out why they aren't on iCloud.

Edit : forgot an important step, switch from optimize to download so they goto your phone. Since this photo database can be quite substantial in size while on wifi plug the phone in and let it do its think.

Last edited:

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
How much storage space do you have on your phone? What version of iOS are you using and which iPhone is that? Do you have other iOS devices? How long have you had this phone? Have you done a restore or anything recently? Have you recently turned off and back on iCloud Photo Library? Are you on good standings with Apple (don't owe them money for apps, videos, music etc)? What country are you in?

You need to make getting all your photos backed up to a computer a priority now.

2500 photos (if that includes videos) can be over 8gb with videos it can be much more. A lot of variables but make sure you have plenty of space on your phone. Import them to a computer from there.

Once you verify all your photos are safe then we'll need to figure out why they aren't on iCloud.

Edit : forgot an important step, switch from optimize to download so they goto your phone. Since this photo database can be quite substantial in size while on wifi plug the phone in and let it do its think.

How much storage space do you have on your phone? I bought the 32GB and as we can see in the pic 9.5 of 32 gb are used
What version of iOS are you using and which iPhone is that? I’m using 11.4 and i have an iPhone Se
Do you have other iOS devices?no
How long have you had this phone? A month
Have you done a restore or anything recently? No just when I realized that it’s uploading pics on the drive I disabled the feature

Have you recently turned off and back on iCloud Photo Library? No I don’t think so
Are you on good standings with Apple (don't owe them money for apps, videos, music etc)? Yes
What country are you in? Greece

It doesn’t make any sense because I think that it should upload all the pics on iCloud because I’ve chosen this option but apparently they are uploaded somewhere , not in iCloud and surely not on my iphone. So I have no idea what’s going on! Help please
[doublepost=1531014312][/doublepost]I’ve chosen the option you told me (download and not optimization) and that happened directly without any download (see pic)

Attachments

• 1F2061E9-E980-4EE5-A8EE-BAF6D8F800F0.png
    1F2061E9-E980-4EE5-A8EE-BAF6D8F800F0.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 260

AntonisReverse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2018
Ok so I’ve tried to activate the optimization again and it said your photos are 12 gb and you have to upgrade your iCloud lol. So I guess it was some kind of bug

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Photos are in a database. So if you max out iCloud then you’re database will not be able to grow. If you turn it off and back on the database will be too large to even start.

iCloud isn’t a back up though so make sure you keep them in a save place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.